Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,125 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working in Dubai in audit and am interested in working in Canada for some time, mainly for the living experience and getting away from here. But I'm not really sure how the market is for banking and accounting related jobs. I'm interested more in banking/investment related jobs like a equity research analyst or even something in operations or treasury. But considering I only have audit experience I don't know if it's even realistic. I only have one year of experience so far and plan to work here for another year so don't know if it'd be good enough to count on. I don't mind starting afresh if it means a chance to work in Canada. And I'm open to audit or accounting jobs (even though I don't particularly like what I'm doing right now) since that's what I'm working in currently and would have the most job chances of the same in Canada. I mainly just want a chance to work in Canada for a while and see if I like it there.

I also wanted to know if it's possible for a non-Canadian citizen to land the above mentioned jobs since I'd assume they'd mostly want a local Canadian than sponsor a foreigner. And how frequent or easy is it for a company to sponsor a non-Canadian, or what visa options do I have (besides permanent residency) that I could apply for? (I haven't done serious research on this). Plus would my qualifications hold much stead? I have a B.Com from an Indian university, a Masters degree from the UK and am studying towards the US CPA. A simple google search showed some scary results of foreign doctors working as taxi drivers and what not. But I know a few people who've studied in places like England, Dubai, India and the States who've got jobs in their related fields, but they are all from engineering and IT fields and had applied for Canadian PR prior to moving. So don't know what the case is for banking/ accounting jobs.

If anyone could answer some or all of the above questions I'd be really grateful. I'm really interested in working in Canada since I have quite a few friends there, heard good things about the place (besides the weather), would be just next to the US (where I have some family and absolutely love visiting the cities there but not so much for living), and would get out of this godforsaken place (Dubai) where I feel miserable. But I just want to experience living in Canada for sometime before I even consider of permanently residing there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:41 AM

364 posts, read 1,193,841 times
I would think you need to get your foot in the door with an International Bank in Dubai first, and then get a transfer to Canada. Immigrating without a job lined-up can be difficult.
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,542,846 times
There's a shortage of accountants in Canada, especially now with the switch over to IFRS, so you could definitely get a job. I also know that our banks are doing quite well. With so many international banks in trouble, I understand that many of our banks that did well are trying to gobble up their market share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada