Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 48,701 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a safe area, schools don't matter as I do not have kids. I hear Santa Rosa can be foggy, would like to live where there is more sun as I have never lived in Northern Ca before and hear the weather can run the gambit> I have looked for crime stats and since I dont' know the areas they really dont mean much. I hear eastern santa rosa is a better area to live in, but know nothing about san rafael. I would like to be near shopping, area for singles, not night clubs because I don't do clubs, area for singles activities.. any suggestions?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 01:40 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calover View Post
I hear Santa Rosa can be foggy, would like to live where there is more sun
Outside of the southern desert, almost anyplace in California can be foggy. Even the Sacramento Valley gets fog in winter. Generally marine influence is what makes a western climate mild, and the marine layer -- fog -- is a part of that.
Santa Rosa is in a coastal valley and as such, it will have must less fog than the coast, but it will have some (mostly in the morning). San Rafael is a bit more marine due to the proximity to San Pablo Bay and won't get hot in summer as often as Santa Rosa does. Both cities have mild climates with ample sunshine but significant marine layer from time to time.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
When I think of foggy towns, Santa Rosa is NOT high on the list....San Rafael is further up the list but not by much. Neither is as foggy as San Francisco's Ocean Beach or anywhere that is directly on the coast.

I would split the difference and go with Petaluma - Westside, as it is not foggy, overall generally safer than either SRosa or SRafael (not that either Sr's are terribly unsafe anyway) more walkable, great historic downtown with lots to do...outlet mall is a shopping bonus as well.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,679 times
San Rafael... it's not even close. It's also twice as expensive to buy a home. One of the premier areas in the entire state.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:06 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Outside of the southern desert, almost anyplace in California can be foggy. Even the Sacramento Valley gets fog in winter. Generally marine influence is what makes a western climate mild, and the marine layer -- fog -- is a part of that.
Santa Rosa is in a coastal valley and as such, it will have must less fog than the coast, but it will have some (mostly in the morning). San Rafael is a bit more marine due to the proximity to San Pablo Bay and won't get hot in summer as often as Santa Rosa does. Both cities have mild climates with ample sunshine but significant marine layer from time to time.
Right. Both Santa Rosa and San Rafael can experience morning overcast during the summer months. San Rafael is on the bay so the marine influence is even stronger than Santa Rosa and why Santa Rosa is a little warmer. Both cities have very pleasant summer weather, however [ie. San Rafael averages around 80F & Santa Rosa in the low 80's].

The fog that forms in the Sacramento valley & San Joaquin valley during winter is not marine. "Tule" fog develops in the low-lying regions near the rivers after a rain storm has left the ground wet. The tule fog can be very dangerous because it is often very low to the ground and reduces visibility to the point that airplanes can be grounded and freeways can become death traps. Both Santa Rosa and San Rafael can experience tule fog though not nearly as much as the Central Valley when east winds blow the fog westward toward the coast.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:18 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calover View Post
I am looking for a safe area, schools don't matter as I do not have kids. I hear Santa Rosa can be foggy, would like to live where there is more sun as I have never lived in Northern Ca before and hear the weather can run the gambit> I have looked for crime stats and since I dont' know the areas they really dont mean much. I hear eastern santa rosa is a better area to live in, but know nothing about san rafael. I would like to be near shopping, area for singles, not night clubs because I don't do clubs, area for singles activities.. any suggestions?
thanks
Both are reasonably safe and both have pretty sunny weather--significantly sunnier than San Francisco. There is some fog in both places, but it burns off and doesn't normally hang around all day long.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:51 AM

137 posts, read 327,840 times
I've lived in Santa Rosa all my life and still feel itis "safe." Safer than San Rafael in my opinion. San Rafael is much more "bay area" than Santa Rosa, since it is much closer to San Francisco. The east side of Santa Rosa? Yes, it is sunnier, but I'm not sure about safer. Rincon Valley (east SR) has nice parts and not-so-nice parts. West SR blends into the Sebastopol area which still has the country feel. It can be foggier than east SR, but the fog, when it is here, is just in the morning and at night. The mid-days are delightful. And the fog isn't here all the time. I don't think of SR as foggy. I think Santa Rosa is a great place for non-clubbing singles. There are opportunities for various interests: Hiking, reading, food, wine, health & wellness.. Santa Rosa Junior College is in town which offers all kinds of interesting classes....nice restaurants, some nice parks, and Healsburg and Sonoma are only a half hour away for a change of pace and boutique style shopping & fun dining. Santa Rosa has a downtown mall, Coddingtown mall and Montgomery Village for a variety of shopping. Corte Madera is just 40 minutes away for more upscale shopping options. Seriously, for safety and security, I would choose Santa Rosa over San Rafael.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:31 PM

63 posts, read 225,235 times
San Rafael has lower crime statistics. There is one bad neighborhood (The Canal) but other than that there is virtually no crime. (I have lived in both cities.)

Old 07-02-2010, 06:34 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
If you can afford San Rafael..........no contest.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 6,258 times
Any thoughts on Sebastopol? My husband and I are thinking of relocating there as we like small, quiet, quaint but near a larger metropolitan area. We are now in coastal NC and hate it......moved here from Reno, NV about 3 years ago so have been to Sebastopol/Santa Rosa/Petulma area many times. Looking for cooler summers and more year round climate so not a chance to go back to NV. We are retired so schools etc are not a thought but good medical and shopping, outdoors, cultural is desireable. We plan to rent, at least initially so buying a home is not in the equation either at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California