Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:44 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,293 times

Advertisements

Our family is looking to move to the area with possible employment in St. Helena. We are looking at either Napa or Santa Rosa as potential places to live. We are planning on putting our kids in private schools so school districts are not an issue. Neighborhood safety and commute times are relevant. Any feedback? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 04:31 AM

Doesn't anyone have any personal knowledge of these two cities? I have checked the crime stats and read the daily news sites. Neither one sounds that great in terms of safety, but I sure would love to hear from those with personal experience or "insider" knowledge. Anybody out there???

Old 03-18-2010, 02:23 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,177 times
I think they both have similar problems. Santa Rosa is twice the size of Napa. They both have a large population of illegal immigrants or field worker types for obvious reasons. I would not really feel unsafe in either city just have common sense about where you are at.

I am more familiar with Napa than Santa Rosa. If I was you, I would obviously look into the north side of Napa. It is closest to St. Helena and is considered one of the nicer areas. I would also consider the Browns Valley area which is the far west portion of Napa. You can also consider the area around downtown if you want architecture. There are beautilful homes around downtown especially the south side of it.

Basically, drive around Napa and see what you like. Talk to the people in the neighborhood. I guess the same would go for Santa Rosa. I can't see the reason to drive all the way to Santa Rosa from St. Helena versus just driving to Napa. Take the drive from St. Helena to Santa Rosa and see if it something you want to do everyday, twice a day.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
I think they both have similar problems. Santa Rosa is twice the size of Napa. They both have a large population of illegal immigrants or field worker types for obvious reasons. I would not really feel unsafe in either city just have common sense about where you are at.

I am more familiar with Napa than Santa Rosa. If I was you, I would obviously look into the north side of Napa. It is closest to St. Helena and is considered one of the nicer areas. I would also consider the Browns Valley area which is the far west portion of Napa. You can also consider the area around downtown if you want architecture. There are beautilful homes around downtown especially the south side of it.

Basically, drive around Napa and see what you like. Talk to the people in the neighborhood. I guess the same would go for Santa Rosa. I can't see the reason to drive all the way to Santa Rosa from St. Helena versus just driving to Napa. Take the drive from St. Helena to Santa Rosa and see if it something you want to do everyday, twice a day.

Thanks for the response. Yes, we were out a couple months ago and think we prefer Napa for proximity, although the commute would not be a daily thing. Santa Rosa prices seem lower and there appears to be more homes available. But, if there's less gang presence and it is a safer place, well, we'll just have to 'bite the bullet" and size down a bit. Priorities are different when you have kids. Thanks again for responding. There does seem to be a paucity of posters in this area of the state.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:32 PM

418 posts, read 487,644 times
I lived near Santa Rosa for a few months and think it's a bit nicer than Napa. You might want to check out Rohnert Park as well. However getting out to St. Helena from there would be irritating.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:31 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,757 times
Santa Rosa is a great city, very nice in most parts and as someone already said is over twice the population of Napa. Napa is a lot safer than Santa Rosa though. Not that either city is dangerous. Though, Santa Rosa has a couple of small neighborhoods that are not very nice and have a lot of gang and drug activity along with the occasional drive by shooting.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:46 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,926 times
If the job is in St. Helena, why not just live in St. Helena or Calistoga? I would much rather live in Calistoga or St. helena than either Napa or Santa Rosa.
The worst traffic is on hwy. 29.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
If the job is in St. Helena, why not just live in St. Helena or Calistoga? I would much rather live in Calistoga or St. helena than either Napa or Santa Rosa.
The worst traffic is on hwy. 29.
Not sure about Calistoga; but doesn't seem to be much available in St. Helena and it seems very pricey, correct?

Old 03-19-2010, 11:41 AM

807 posts, read 1,302,494 times
Calistoga is a safe little town, although there has been a few gang incidents and auto thefts over the past few months.. Calistoga though is a good middle ground between St. Helena and Santa Rosa.. There is more shopping and other activities in Santa Rosa.. Napa is more of a tourist destination..

Old 03-19-2010, 04:45 PM

99 posts, read 380,411 times
I think both areas would be good. Again every city has their pockets of not so nice areas so no matter where you end up you would need to take that into consideration.

You say you will be putting your kids into private school. Do you know where that is? I would certainly make that a consideration as well. If the school is in Napa I would not consider looking at Santa Rosa.

I know many people do not like the commute from Santa Rosa to St. Helena. I actually love it but then again I do not do it every day. It is pretty windy and hilly and if there is an accident there is no other way to go. I guess for that reason I would go for Napa. But I personally think Napa has a bit more charm than SR does and tha has only happened in the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California