Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:51 AM

17 posts, read 60,439 times

Advertisements

I'm living in SF right now and considering moving to Santa Barbara & buying a home there. I've made a considerable amount of money as a startup techie during last year and owning a biz so home price pretty much is not a concern for me.

I am more concerned over the demographic in Santa Barbara as it's mostly college students and retirees from what i've heard and mostly white people and i'm asian.

I prefer to live in Santa Barbara due to its beautiful scenery and the city's well maintenance with tax dollars. i don't have a lot of social life and pretty much a private person so i think it's a nice fit for me.

I'm envy to hear that a lot of people that bought their houses there 10 years ago and have made a huge profit already. I'm just lucky enough to have the chance to own a home there and sit on the money that's most likely will continue to raise after the recession.

Do you think it's a wise choice for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:52 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
If this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchui1028 View Post
i don't have a lot of social life and pretty much a private person so i think it's a nice fit for me.
then why worry about

Quote:
Would a single mid 20s guy fit In in Santa Barbara?
?

But yes, it isn't hard to fit in in Santa Barbara. Since (my alma mater) UCSB is there, Asians on the cityscape aren't unusual.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:58 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
I'm living in SF right now and considering moving to Santa Barbara & buying a home there. I've made a considerable amount of money as a startup techie during last year and owning a biz so home price pretty much is not a concern for me.

I am more concerned over the demographic in Santa Barbara as it's mostly college students and retirees from what i've heard and mostly white people and i'm asian.

I prefer to live in Santa Barbara due to its beautiful scenery and the city's well maintenance with tax dollars. i don't have a lot of social life and pretty much a private person so i think it's a nice fit for me.

I'm envy to hear that a lot of people that bought their houses there 10 years ago and have made a huge profit already. I'm just lucky enough to have the chance to own a home there and sit on the money that's most likely will continue to raise after the recession.

I don't think it's a wise choice for you to buy in Santa Barbara for one, cost, being a young man, childless, with no partner, and just starting his life. Unless your going to UCSB I can't see what Santa Barbara would offer you. If you are going to buy a home or consider buying a condo, I would look into the San Diego market. It's less expensive than Santa Barbara and is bigger, livelier, more people your age, more universities, great weather, and the housing market will be in huge demand in the future because of global cooling.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:34 AM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
You're not in the usual category of dream seekers. You apparently have the financial means to achieve what you're dreaming of. If you have a good amount of experience with Santa Barbara and you know that it sits well with your soul, I'd say go for what you want. Most people aren't in a position to move wherever they feel like living; you are. If you later find that it doesn't suit you, then you can move again. And while those who bought homes 10 years ago may have reaped a good amount of equity, many of those who bought homes 5 years ago have mortgages that are costing them more than their homes are worth, so you may be lucky that you didn't buy earlier. This could be a good time to buy if you do your research and make a careful selection.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:46 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,900 times
If you truly don't need the typical social life of a young adult. Hard to beat the beauty.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:38 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:

Remember, 10 years ago was the end of the last bubble. Folks that made money made it because they bought in 2000-01 and maybe sold between 06-08. You're not likely to make a "huge profit" through buying a house and selling it again in a year or two. What do you define as huge profit anyway? If there is one thing that the last 10 years should have taught you is that that are no guarantees, and prices and values do NOT necessarily go up. If prices always go up, then why are we in this situation where people owe more on their homes than they are worth. I bet they thought that their houses would always go up too. They bought at the end of a recession, just like you plan to do. I've also bought property during this time, and have broken even one one, make a little money on another, etc.

I assume you have visited Santa Barbara before? I think it's a nice place. You could always go down to LA if you needed a little night life. It's a great place for beauty, enjoying nature, etc. I think SB is one area I would consider moving to (I lived south of SF), but I'd feel too cut off from the night life and events happening in LA. Have you also considered places like Carlsbad? It's also beautiful and closer to activities that you might occasionally want to do.

If you really have made a lot of money and can spend/invest it wisely than I suggest going for it and following your dream. Who knows, things could change and you may not be in a position to make this move down the road. If you've already pushed aside so money for retirement, and have a lot left over, then you probably have more than enough left for a down payment on a house. In your case, you might even have enough to buy the whole house.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:38 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
You made enough in tech in one year to buy a house in Santa Barbara? I'm really wasting my time as a CPA!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:42 PM

153 posts, read 381,710 times
If you're a typical mid-20s guy, fyi SB's social life is pretty much non-existent. The only real social scene is UCSB which you're unlikely to actually get into, not being a college student (even the students apparently don't hang out anywhere else). Are you retiring? If not, and you're still into the tech scene, why leave SF?

Old 05-26-2010, 05:46 PM

17 posts, read 60,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
If you're a typical mid-20s guy, fyi SB's social life is pretty much non-existent. The only real social scene is UCSB which you're unlikely to actually get into, not being a college student (even the students apparently don't hang out anywhere else). Are you retiring? If not, and you're still into the tech scene, why leave SF?
i want to leave SF because i feel it's time for me to move on.. I never really get attached with SF even though I grew up here, as most of my friends are leaving, there's little point for me to stay here alone anymore. I would rather start my life anew at somewhere else.

I am looking for a home that has a Mediterranean-feel Spanish style to it. They look very relaxing and inviting to me.. Anyone know where I can find those houses in California?

Also, I am not looking to flip houses so I am really looking for a house that i could settle down for at least 10 years, so location is very important to me.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:22 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Would a single mid 20s guy fit In in Santa Barbara?

Well I would think if you were in your late 20's or a teenager you would fit in but I'm afraid there are no people in Santa Barbara in their mid 20's.

Ha ha J/K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California