Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 PM

6 posts, read 26,941 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering to accept an offer to go to graduate school at UCSB. The program would be for about 5 years in a fairly difficult subject. I've read many of the existing threads on Santa Barbara, but haven't gotten a good feel for how it might be for me.

Is UCSB/Santa Barbara a good place for a 26 year old single guy who probably won't have too much $$$ to spend? Is the area of Isla Vista to Santa Barbara just 18-21 year olds and old rich people? Are there many people between the ages of 22-32 in the area? Are there many people between these ages who aren't grad students? How is dating in this area? Are the girls pretty? What do young people do for fun (drink? dance? beach? parks? something else?)?

These things matter to me as I'm going to be spending the rest of my 20's here if I choose to go. I want to learn, yes, but I want to have fun too! Any opinions? Any advice? I would highly appreciate any information you guys have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,615,648 times
Obviously there are many students in Santa Barbara who are on limited budgets but seem to be happy. Isla Vista did have a reputation as a "party" school & a crazy student ran over & killed some other students while driving drunk a few years ago.

Santa Barbara is a safe city & a beautiful beach\ lots of attractive women & some great sports bars on State St.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf444 View Post
Hi,

I am considering to accept an offer to go to graduate school at UCSB. The program would be for about 5 years in a fairly difficult subject. I've read many of the existing threads on Santa Barbara, but haven't gotten a good feel for how it might be for me.

Is UCSB/Santa Barbara a good place for a 26 year old single guy who probably won't have too much $$$ to spend? Is the area of Isla Vista to Santa Barbara just 18-21 year olds and old rich people? Are there many people between the ages of 22-32 in the area? Are there many people between these ages who aren't grad students? How is dating in this area? Are the girls pretty? What do young people do for fun (drink? dance? beach? parks? something else?)?

These things matter to me as I'm going to be spending the rest of my 20's here if I choose to go. I want to learn, yes, but I want to have fun too! Any opinions? Any advice? I would highly appreciate any information you guys have.
I went to UCSB grad school when I was 33 for two years. I lived in Isla Vista in the graduate student housing (the Santa Ynez apartments). Most of the people in Santa Ynez were older but not many as old as the early 30s. In fact, there is one set of buildings at Santa Ynez for married people with kids. However, I did meet people my age in Santa Barbara in cycling clubs and hiking clubs.

Consider going out for a sport. I did crew. I was rowing with 18-22 year old guys and women but it was a lot of fun. There's also lacrosse and ultimate frisbee.

Finally, no matter where you attend graduate school, you will be confronted by these challenges you describe. The thing is, you will be hard pressed to find many schools better than UCSB for academics, atmosphere, healthy environment, beauty, and proximity to a fun town (Santa Barbara).

Old 04-12-2009, 11:26 AM

81 posts, read 293,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Isla Vista did have a reputation as a "party" school & a crazy student ran over & killed some other students while driving drunk a few years ago.
It wasn't a "few" years ago (2001), and it had nothing to do with drunk driving (He had no alcohol in his system). Go to Daily Nexus and put "Attias" into the search and you'll find a ton of articles on David Attias and his arrest and trial. There was a marijuana charge added during the trial, but he was found not guilty on that. He was found guilty on second degree murder and found legally insane and is now in Patton State Hospital. A lot of people tried to initially blame alcohol (and I guess that rumour still persists) as a way to crack down on Isla Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I went to UCSB grad school when I was 33 for two years. I lived in Isla Vista in the graduate student housing (the Santa Ynez apartments).
USCB also opened a new complex exclusively for grad students here:

http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/prospect...yer2009-10.pdf

I assume you'll probably want to ignore the Isla Vista party scene since it's mostly undergrads but a lot of my TAs mentioned having a lot of fun heading to downtown Santa Barbara on the weekeneds...

Old 04-12-2009, 12:08 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,615,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc251dc View Post
It wasn't a "few" years ago (2001), and it had nothing to do with drunk driving (He had no alcohol in his system). Go to Daily Nexus and put "Attias" into the search and you'll find a ton of articles on David Attias and his arrest and trial. There was a marijuana charge added during the trial, but he was found not guilty on that. He was found guilty on second degree murder and found legally insane and is now in Patton State Hospital. A lot of people tried to initially blame alcohol (and I guess that rumour still persists) as a way to crack down on Isla Vista.

USCB also opened a new complex exclusively for grad students here:

http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/prospect...yer2009-10.pdf

I assume you'll probably want to ignore the Isla Vista party scene since it's mostly undergrads but a lot of my TAs mentioned having a lot of fun heading to downtown Santa Barbara on the weekeneds...
Thanks for the clarification. It seems his father was in the movie industry, if not mistaken.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 PM

81 posts, read 293,101 times
Yup you're right. His father is Dan Attias:

Dan Attias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-14-2009, 02:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,415,978 times
An excellent place for grad school. Both academically and socially I cannot think of too many places on par or better. You'll find IV to be quite diverse. Also, there are parts of Goleta and SB proper where you might be able to rent within budget. Nice vibe for social stuff, outdoor activities (particularly cycling, running, surfing, scuba, rock climbing, hiking) in all portions of the SB conurbation. You can literally hike from the edge of SB out into the wilderness - Los Padres NF beckons.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 26,941 times
I was wondering...are there many 20-somethings that hang out/live in Oxnard/Thousand Oaks area? I'm wondering, because I don't mind spending a couple years in Santa Barbara, but I could see myself getting bored after 6 years or it. I wouldn't mind commuting a few days a week for school.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf444 View Post
I was wondering...are there many 20-somethings that hang out/live in Oxnard/Thousand Oaks area? I'm wondering, because I don't mind spending a couple years in Santa Barbara, but I could see myself getting bored after 6 years or it. I wouldn't mind commuting a few days a week for school.
There are some, but TO doesn't have the reputation of a 20 something hang out place. It is expensive and it seems most people who live in the Conejo Valley are SFR homeowners with kids.

Ventura might be more like it.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:54 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,415,978 times
IV (and parts of Goleta) are OK for being a starving student. SB proper is much more difficult. Truth be known, the low pay versus high cost issue really only hits those who are done with school. Bad, bad place to be in the early high growth career phase. But good place overall during school itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California