Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 12:06 PM

16 posts, read 83,868 times

Advertisements

I've been to Santa Barbara several times and fell in love with the city. I'm into living a healthy life...yoga, eating vegetarian, farmer's markets, and running along the beach. I'm over the partying and nightlife...did plenty of that when I was younger. Based on my experience and what I've read, seems like the city for me. Am I wrong?

I've been watching for job openings for a year, and a couple of opportunities opened up. But after doing some research, I'm wondering if it will be a tough spot for a single 30-something? It seems very student, family, or retired focused. Here are my specific questions:

1. Is there much of a transplant community? Will I find fellow single professionals like me in Santa Barbara?

2. If you don't think this is a good spot for me, can you recommend a better smallish-city for a single professional looking to live a relaxing, healthy life with nice weather? (anywhere in the US, not just CA.)

FYI...I'm not as concerned about cost of living. I don't plan on buying real estate anytime soon, no plans to commute (cost of gas), and can afford $2000-$2500/month in rent.

Thank you for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Others will have different opinions, but S.B. is my town (although no longer living there) and is still my favorite in the entire country. I'd say you picked the right place.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:23 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,967 times
You can see this and especially this for some stats.

In the second link, it looks like most people are in their 30's and married. See the "marital status" graphs.

You say you are single, so I assume you want a better possibility of meeting someone but it looks like SB is not going to offer that. Generally, though, I don't think most small US cities offer a larger pool of single 30-somethings.

If you want that, you generally want a bigger city. Try LA, esp Santa Monica or Venice. Yes, LA is a huge, traffic-choked mess but with the right choice of job and residence location, you don't have to traverse it everyday.

Just my thoughts.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:54 PM

22 posts, read 85,956 times
I, in my late 20s, relocated here from from the East Coast about 6 years ago. And now we're planning to move out, which I'm very happy about.

bottomline, the judging the book by the cover, "it's what's on the inside that counts, not the outside" kind of comes to mind with this town. On the outside, it's beautiful, scenery, markets, whatnot......but inside, ugly. The majority of the people here I've noticed are very bitter, fake, and in my opinion, how to describe it best, clueless/empty headed. I know that's mean, but I'm just being honest.

I remember during the first year one instance while on errands , in sweats, i stopped by a boutique and i felt like in that scene in Pretty Woman where the lady wouldn't help Julia Roberts 'cause of how she looked.....i was given the evil eye and majorily whispered about....I'm like, no way, is this really happening?! lol I found it funny, and shared my experience w/hubby, friends back home, etc., but then it became not funny at all since the whole town is practically like that! And of course when I'm dressed nicely, my ass gets kissed by the store clerks......SO crazy.....and I'm not just talking about the pricey boutiques either...

Plus walking on the main street, State STreet, which has lots of outdoor cafes (hwich I think is great btw), but you get heggled by the homeless, whcih there are a LOT..and I mean, a LOT. They seriously do not leave you alone. On the East Coast, there are homeless, yes, but here htey are PROUD....it's like a clique...very bizarre.

The library is where i grew up as a youngster back home, so its important for my kids to have that same experience. Here htere's one library and the city uses it for feeding the homeless, etc., so they are all over the place...im taking about 20 inside....20 outside the building. And they dont leave u alone...so me sending my kids tthere? heck no

At first when moving here, we were in awe of the outer beauty...we jogged, went 2 the beach, biked, just plain drove around, went out to bars, clubs.....but that wore off cause the true character of this town came out.....and especially now that i have children, i dont want to raise my children in this environment. Plus ridiculously expensive -- rent and housing wise.

Just sayin'.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
I would go with San Luis Obispo - a very nice town It's a bit inland so it doesn't get too much fog and wind but the beaches (Pismo Beach and Morro Bay) are just a short drive away. Lots of vineyards in the area. It's also a college town. Welcome to San Luis Obispo, the Happiest Place in America | Visitors Guide

Old 03-31-2011, 05:11 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstheseasons View Post
I, in my late 20s, relocated here from from the East Coast about 6 years ago. And now we're planning to move out, which I'm very happy about.

bottomline, the judging the book by the cover, "it's what's on the inside that counts, not the outside" kind of comes to mind with this town. On the outside, it's beautiful, scenery, markets, whatnot......but inside, ugly. The majority of the people here I've noticed are very bitter, fake, and in my opinion, how to describe it best, clueless/empty headed. I know that's mean, but I'm just being honest.

I remember during the first year one instance while on errands , in sweats, i stopped by a boutique and i felt like in that scene in Pretty Woman where the lady wouldn't help Julia Roberts 'cause of how she looked.....i was given the evil eye and majorily whispered about....I'm like, no way, is this really happening?! lol I found it funny, and shared my experience w/hubby, friends back home, etc., but then it became not funny at all since the whole town is practically like that! And of course when I'm dressed nicely, my ass gets kissed by the store clerks......SO crazy.....and I'm not just talking about the pricey boutiques either...

Plus walking on the main street, State STreet, which has lots of outdoor cafes (hwich I think is great btw), but you get heggled by the homeless, whcih there are a LOT..and I mean, a LOT. They seriously do not leave you alone. On the East Coast, there are homeless, yes, but here htey are PROUD....it's like a clique...very bizarre.

The library is where i grew up as a youngster back home, so its important for my kids to have that same experience. Here htere's one library and the city uses it for feeding the homeless, etc., so they are all over the place...im taking about 20 inside....20 outside the building. And they dont leave u alone...so me sending my kids tthere? heck no

At first when moving here, we were in awe of the outer beauty...we jogged, went 2 the beach, biked, just plain drove around, went out to bars, clubs.....but that wore off cause the true character of this town came out.....and especially now that i have children, i dont want to raise my children in this environment. Plus ridiculously expensive -- rent and housing wise.

Just sayin'.
The only part I'd argue about is "the majority". I think there's a 'substantial minority' that are a-holes just about anywhere you go. I've also seen phony people in SB and majorly spoiled trust fund babies with more privilege and sense of entitlement than common sense or decency in manners. In my mind, I flip off the idiots and am grateful for the friendly people I come across. When I become a better person someday, I'll no longer think bad thoughts about the idiots and wish them well too.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:45 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
There are few places in the world that can top SB. But it's expensive.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:51 AM

57 posts, read 112,390 times
I've lived one year in Santa Barbara and I tell you I loved it :-)! If I had the chance to live there again I'd go immediately!

I also think that the people in Santa Barbara are very friendly... I had never any problems!! And as well the homeless are not too bad! It seems to me that "misstheseason is a bit snobby... We should always support the homeless people!

And yes since I'm from Switzerland the weather is just perfect even with aome foggy day during the summer....

Go for it :-)

Daniel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California