Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:58 PM

427 posts, read 1,224,039 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that i have never been to california, it's one of the few states i have never been to before, but i really want to come there. I'm curious why most people at least people from outside of california, that i have talked to think it's impossible to live there because the cost of living is too astronomical? I can definetly understand the housing/rent prices and the high taxes, but aside from that what else is so outrageous? Like is one ticket to the movies $20, a gallon of milk $8, gas $6 gallon or what, because i get the idea from others that *everything* is at least twice as much as in other places of the country. That just dosen't seem possible to me, fill me in please californians, what aside from housing and taxes make california sooo expensive to live in? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:02 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Housing is the biggie. The problem is that housing is most people's single biggest monthly expense and it's very expensive here unless you settle for crap, which many are forced to.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
i really want to come there.

I'm curious why most people at least people from outside of california, that i have talked to think it's impossible to live there because the cost of living is too astronomical?

I can definetly understand the housing/rent prices and the high taxes, but aside from that what else is so outrageous?

what aside from housing and taxes make california sooo expensive to live in? Thanks.
Why do you really want to come to California?
What did your friends from outside of California say when you asked them why it was impossible?

This is the umpteenth time this has been brought up.

You can find out what bread, milk, and groceries are from here:

Ralphs - Home

Gasoline here

GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada

Utilities here

SCE - Home
Southern California Gas Company
LADWP.com
Pacific Gas and Electric Company

Insurance and other costs are a little harder to figure out but they are in the noise when compared to housing.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:09 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
I can only speak from what others tell me. The property tax is high compared to many states. It roughly is 1.25% of selling price of house. Gasoline is usually 15 to 20 cents higher than other states due to the taxes on gasoline. Groceries seem to be higher than most states by 10 to 15 percent. Car registration is higher compared to most states. I was told..don't quote me..that a new car is about $800 for registration.

The cost of living is higher closer to the beach areas. Inland in the desert communities cost of living is less.

California is the most awesome state in the union. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:11 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Housing is the biggie. The problem is that housing is most people's single biggest monthly expense and it's very expensive here unless you settle for crap, which many are forced to.
Okay, let's say that for whatever reason, you already have a paid-for 1500 sq. ft. house in California...a rich uncle left it to you in his will. But you are still a person of modest means. You'll have to pay all taxes, fees, utilities and other expenses. Relative to COL in other states, how much of an economic hardship would it be to live in California once the house itself is all yours?

Old 09-02-2009, 07:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Okay, let's say that for whatever reason, you already have a paid-for 1500 sq. ft. house in California...a rich uncle left it to you in his will. But you are still a person of modest means. You'll have to pay all taxes, fees, utilities and other expenses. Relative to COL in other states, how much of an economic hardship would it be to live in California once the house itself is all yours?

Probably not prohibitively more especially since heating and cooling costs are probably lower. Transportation would depend on how far from work.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Let me start by saying that i have never been to california, it's one of the few states i have never been to before, but i really want to come there. I'm curious why most people at least people from outside of california, that i have talked to think it's impossible to live there because the cost of living is too astronomical? I can definetly understand the housing/rent prices and the high taxes, but aside from that what else is so outrageous? Like is one ticket to the movies $20, a gallon of milk $8, gas $6 gallon or what, because i get the idea from others that *everything* is at least twice as much as in other places of the country. That just dosen't seem possible to me, fill me in please californians, what aside from housing and taxes make california sooo expensive to live in? Thanks.
High Taxes and property values out of sight are all you need to affect the cost of living, add to that gas and insurance being high. NO, food is no different (in fact in some cases less) than other parts of the country and I think entertainment would be similar to other states if you are talking about the major cities.

Nita

Old 09-02-2009, 07:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
I can only speak from what others tell me. The property tax is high compared to many states. It roughly is 1.25% of selling price of house. Gasoline is usually 15 to 20 cents higher than other states due to the taxes on gasoline. Groceries seem to be higher than most states by 10 to 15 percent. Car registration is higher compared to most states. I was told..don't quote me..that a new car is about $800 for registration.

The cost of living is higher closer to the beach areas. Inland in the desert communities cost of living is less.

California is the most awesome state in the union. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
the most awesome state in the Union? How many have you lived in? A statement like that is plain silly,it is opinion, not fact.

Nita

Old 09-02-2009, 08:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Well of course if you take the single biggest monthly expense out of the picture, life isn't all that expensive anywhere. I have a sister in law who lives at home for free, was a student forever working a low-paying part time job, was unemployed for a year recently, and still has $50k in the bank. So yeah, life isn't that expensive if you don't have to pay to keep a roof over your head.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
The best jobs and most desirable areas to live in are places where the middle class has either been pushed out of or soon will be pushed out of. Of course that leads to local inflation of everything (and also, loss of businesses catering to lower and middle class people, and their replacement by high end ones).

To be fair, inland (and, closer to the coast, in more gritty areas) things are still not that inflated (expect for housing which is limited by a combination of limited flat / not too steep land and enviro Nazi regs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California