Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 PM

15 posts, read 37,522 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a lot of postings about the cost of living in California, and very curious as to how people are managing to survive, given how expensive everything is. Are the majority of Californians working two jobs? Sharing an apt or house with others? How exactly is everyone getting by? I would really like to know. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 05:06 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
So many of us have bought homes before the housing market went up.
Two of my paychecks cover the mortgage and two truck payments. The other two checks go in savings.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:06 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Many CA cities have had costly housing (vs rest of US) since at least the '70s....

Many middle-aged, moderate-income people in CA bought their houses back in ?'80s....at what seemed like high prices back in that era...

Youngsters who aspire to live well in SF/LA post-college prob should do well in school/college and strongly consider income/wealth potential of their career choices....lots of affluent <30yo people in SF/SV made their money at tech cos. in SV or work at hedge funds/investment banks in SF/LA....

Many other young college grads who grew up in SF/LA (and didn't enter lucrative careers) prob still live w/their parents to save rent money....

And SV/LA are now older, quite wealthy urban regions, so, just as in NYC, many kids w/trust funds manage to rent/buy a nice place in these costly towns, even if they have a less lucrative first post-college job....

Old 08-12-2008, 05:08 PM

250 posts, read 335,880 times
I got out of CA when it became apparent I could never afford to buy a home without a mortgage.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:10 PM

15 posts, read 37,522 times
Thank you to all who have responded so far. I look forward to reading more.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:14 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
Looking around my immediate (upper middle-class) neighborhood, I see several 3-generation families sharing homes together. So that's one way to beat housing costs, while strengthening families at the same time.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Most people my age (25) have roomates. I don't eat out much, don't have a big flat screen TV, drive a used car that's paid for, don't buy that many clothes (luckily I can wear the same type of clothes year round where I'm at), etc... You find ways and make it work, people here probably just don't have too much extra spending money. You just learn to live with less I guess. I can't afford vacations but I have plenty around me to see and do, every weekend during summer when I go to the beach I feel like I am on vacation sort of. I plan on leaving eventually though to see if this place is really worth it to me or not.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
My wife and I live in a 1br apartment and both have full time jobs. At one point, we had two car payments and my student loands to pay off. We were also saving for our wedding when we first moved in together. We have since married and have no debt from that and have also paid off one of the cars. We don't go out every weekend and eat at home most nights, but we still manage to go out with friends and never really feel strapped for cash. In fact, we're able to put a decent amount of money into savings every month towards a future down payment. We've been able to do this while making a combined $90k-$100k. I think that only thing would really hurt us financially at this point would be a child. Lucky for us, this is still years away as we are only 26/27 years old.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:35 PM

36 posts, read 149,385 times

The cost of living in CA isn't for everyone. Easier to make a better lifestyle elsewhere in my opinion.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:39 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Well ... we just fulfilled our dream of moving to the Central Coast from the Cali desert which was cheap but, not the quality of life we desired.

We realized that we had to change careers to make more money ... a high school education just doesn't cut it here. My husband put me through nursing school, now I'm putting him through college.

Now our combined income is $170K a year ... by the time he graduates it will be $200K. But, we're also taking advantage of the crashing housing market. We're still waiting for the bottom to hit but ... we'll pick up a decent home for $200-300K.

We are so happy here ... we just had the best weekend ever hiking along Highway 1 ... eating lunch in Carmel and Pebble Beach. It's taken us five years to make this happen and it was SO worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: