Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,017,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
Yep. From this morning's Mercury News:

Homeowners outraged over cancellation of their home equity lines
Homeowners outraged over cancellation of their home equity lines - San Jose Mercury News

My favorite sentence:

"A growing number of homeowners in the Bay Area and around the country are finding themselves unable to borrow against the equity in their home, as beleaguered banks take away a financial safety net many homeowners had counted on."

So apparently access to debt = financial safety net in California. I find it hard to believe that most people in Arizona or the rest of the US think this way. Anyone with a shred of common sense knows that CASH = financial safety net.
Unfortunately, the rest of the US isn't really that far behind CA in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 10:13 AM

26,777 posts, read 26,897,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
If it weren't for the super high rent prices I'd be packed and on my way to CA today. That's the main thing holding me from moving out there....
Please also think about the job market in CA before you come. We have the 4th highest rate of unemployment in the nation right now. It's probably not a good time to move to sunny California.

California's unemployment rate hits 12.2% in August -- latimes.com

Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,507,559 times
WHERE in california you choose to live makes ALL the difference. I work in a navy town (in the middle of the mojave desert; of all places...) and the cost of living is cheap here. Rent on my 2 bd/2bath apartment is $525/month. Utilities are cheap ($40 - electric, water included in rent). Food is a bit higher than average but not terrible.

Average 1250 sq ft 3 bdr/2bth NEW CONSTRUCTION house runs around $140k-165k here. THAT is in California too

Not all of Calif is expensive... if you choose to live in the rat race areas though, you're going to pay.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:33 AM

30,906 posts, read 37,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
WHERE in california you choose to live makes ALL the difference. I work in a navy town (in the middle of the mojave desert; of all places...) and the cost of living is cheap here. Rent on my 2 bd/2bath apartment is $525/month. Utilities are cheap ($40 - electric, water included in rent). Food is a bit higher than average but not terrible.

Average 1250 sq ft 3 bdr/2bth NEW CONSTRUCTION house runs around $140k-165k here. THAT is in California too

Not all of Calif is expensive... if you choose to live in the rat race areas though, you're going to pay.
Well, sure. But most people don't want to live in the Mojave Desert. It's cheap for a reason.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:52 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,241,489 times
I think California cost of living is overblown. Yes, if you want to live in downtown San Fransisco it's going to be ridiculous. Pretty much anywhere in the Bay Area is still expensive, the real estate bubble effected sales in the Bay, but prices are still very high, atleast that's what I see in new construction prices. I'm sure if you go anywhere on the coast, any market isn't going to change how expensive anything is. A house in Monterey may be 10,000 dollars cheaper because of the recession, while houses in the valley are like 200,000 dollars cheaper than in the boom. In the central valley, you can buy a new construction house for under 200,000, 4 bed 2.5 bath. That's the best first hand knowledge I have, and that would be in the Lathrop,Manteca,Stockton area, about a hour to two hours to the Bay, depending on traffic.

The price of living has gone down a lot here in the valley, property taxes have dropped considerably. We have a very high unemployment rate, and those that do have jobs are worried about losing them, so it evens out.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,481,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I think California cost of living is overblown. Yes, if you want to live in downtown San Fransisco it's going to be ridiculous. Pretty much anywhere in the Bay Area is still expensive, the real estate bubble effected sales in the Bay, but prices are still very high, atleast that's what I see in new construction prices. I'm sure if you go anywhere on the coast, any market isn't going to change how expensive anything is. A house in Monterey may be 10,000 dollars cheaper because of the recession, while houses in the valley are like 200,000 dollars cheaper than in the boom. In the central valley, you can buy a new construction house for under 200,000, 4 bed 2.5 bath. That's the best first hand knowledge I have, and that would be in the Lathrop,Manteca,Stockton area, about a hour to two hours to the Bay, depending on traffic.

The price of living has gone down a lot here in the valley, property taxes have dropped considerably. We have a very high unemployment rate, and those that do have jobs are worried about losing them, so it evens out.
The cost of living is high in the part of California that people envision they they hear the word "California". No one in Omaha dreams of moving to Fresno or Stockton some day and making their fortune in the land of year-round spring.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:13 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,596,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post

Taxes are about the same as eastern states.
Which eastern states? CA personal income tax is pushing 10% if not more on the average wage earner. Sales taxes are very high as well.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:32 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,938,415 times
I live in San Diego, and rent a home. I used to live in Florida. Our comparable rent is higher than in FL, and energy costs are higher per KWh...however we don't use our heat (except for a gas fireplace) and we only use A/C probably 3 months out of the year. I find food to be cheaper. We pay an extra $800/year to the state of California for our business' taxes.

All in all, it *is* more expensive in California, but to live somewhere with a perfect, in my opinion, climate and beautiful surroundings is worth every penny. It's not for everyone, though. But for me...it is.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:09 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,596,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I live in San Diego, and rent a home. I used to live in Florida. Our comparable rent is higher than in FL, and energy costs are higher per KWh...however we don't use our heat (except for a gas fireplace) and we only use A/C probably 3 months out of the year. I find food to be cheaper. We pay an extra $800/year to the state of California for our business' taxes.

All in all, it *is* more expensive in California, but to live somewhere with a perfect, in my opinion, climate and beautiful surroundings is worth every penny. It's not for everyone, though. But for me...it is.
Where in Florida? Rent varies by areas, I live in the most expensive area of the state (South Florida). Rent here is high, apartments are on average over $1K/month for a 1 bedroom. Houses are even more $$, depends on location and quality of the rental. Most end up with a townhome or a villa. I looked around San Diego a few months ago online and the prices are very consistent to South Florida.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:36 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,938,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Where in Florida? Rent varies by areas, I live in the most expensive area of the state (South Florida). Rent here is high, apartments are on average over $1K/month for a 1 bedroom. Houses are even more $$, depends on location and quality of the rental. Most end up with a townhome or a villa. I looked around San Diego a few months ago online and the prices are very consistent to South Florida.
I lived in Fort Myers for about 10 years, then in Orlando for another 4 or so.

In Orlando, we paid around $1500/month for an (honestly) overpriced 2-bedroom apartment in Orlando, and here we have a much larger 2-bedroom (plus office) house WITH a garage and such for $2200/month. So yeah...it varies...Florida certainly isn't the cheapest place to live, you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California