Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:43 AM

136 posts, read 549,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
People's eyes seem to gloss over when they hear "tax". I bet a lot of voters WERE uneducated. No one wants a new tax, but I bet the same people will complain when services get cut. And I don't mean "welfare" type services. I mean services that everyone uses every day.
There are plenty of money sucking programs that can be cut and save money for the state. They always threaten to cut education, police/fire services to scare people into voting they way they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 AM

17,406 posts, read 12,015,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
well, don't start bitching when your kid's teachers are laid off.
Because, of course, the teachers should be the first one's that are let go. Not the administrators, no other employees, no budgets cut.

Nice try - it's good to see the voters are not falling for these types of threats, and have sent a clear message to our politicians that it's up to them to fix this mess. No games, no threats. Just hard choices that may have to include possibly pissing off the unions, making government smaller, and turning down illegals when they put their hand out.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:09 AM

136 posts, read 549,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Because, of course, the teachers should be the first one's that are let go. Not the administrators, no other employees, no budgets cut.

Nice try - it's good to see the voters are not falling for these types of threats, and have sent a clear message to our politicians that it's up to them to fix this mess. No games, no threats. Just hard choices that may have to include possibly pissing off the unions, making government smaller, and turning down illegals when they put their hand out.
Exactly! Goodness, if Canada advertised they were giving free education, free medical, free food, reduced housing expenses away, how many people would be rushing to move to Canada?
We need to stop giving all the freebies to illegals, we can't afford it and they don't deserve it.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:32 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,553,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california5 View Post
There are plenty of money sucking programs that can be cut and save money for the state. They always threaten to cut education, police/fire services to scare people into voting they way they want.
But how exactly are the programs that get cut chosen? That's what I'd like to understand. Can the politicians just cut them or do those cuts have to be approved by the voters? How much power does the legislature have in cutting spending without voter approval? Sorry, I'm not very informed on this.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
But how exactly are the programs that get cut chosen? That's what I'd like to understand. Can the politicians just cut them or do those cuts have to be approved by the voters? How much power does the legislature have in cutting spending without voter approval? Sorry, I'm not very informed on this.
If a program has been mandated by the vote of the people, such as Prop. 63, the Mental Health Services Act then it takes a 2/3 vote of the Legislature to place a revision on the ballot as was done for this election. Cutting existing programs isn't easy. In some cases it can be done by majority vote of the Legislature. Some programs the Administration can cut but it's not always very simple. Program cuts also mean personnel cuts and in some cases, staffing levels have been established through collective bargaining and there are union contracts to consider. In other cases the state has to show maintenance of effort in order to qualify for federal reimbursements or programs may be mandated by federal law even though they're staffed and administered by the state or, in certain areas, counties.

There's been a lot of talk about cutting public pensions but that's almost impossible to do retrospectively because of their contractual nature. It might be done prospectively but then again, the unions come into play.

There is no simple, quick solution.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:02 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,238,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Check out the Los Angeles Times article today. Unbelievable, blaming the voters for being so stupid.
The LA Times is the West Coast edition of Pravda.Collectivist positions such as this are the reason I stopped reading it decades ago.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,513,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think it's going to keep getting worse until the state utterly collapses. The state has painted itself into a corner when it comes to spending and has little room to maneuver. The unions and the welfare locust won't give an inch until there's nothing left to take. If the state were a corporation, it would go bankrupt and renegotiate all the contracts but I've heard there's no provision in law for a state going bankrupt. Maybe California can set a precedent there too.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:17 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,838,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I think it's going to keep getting worse until the state utterly collapses. The state has painted itself into a corner when it comes to spending and has little room to maneuver. The unions and the welfare locust won't give an inch until there's nothing left to take. If the state were a corporation, it would go bankrupt and renegotiate all the contracts but I've heard there's no provision in law for a state going bankrupt. Maybe California can set a precedent there too.
Just recently (last 60 days?) the city of Vallejo, CA filed bankruptcy and a judge has determined that the city can now renegotiate union contracts. Seems to me the precedent has been set... let's hope CA follows Vallejo's example!

BANKRUPTCY! BANKRUPTCY! BANKRUPTCY!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:26 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,084,509 times
What and how to cut? The LA Times article included this:
Quote:
The public's contradictory impulses were laid bare by a recent Field Poll. It found that voters oppose cutbacks in 10 of 12 major categories of state spending, including the biggest, education and healthcare. Yet most voters were unwilling to have their own taxes increased, and they overwhelmingly favored keeping the two-thirds requirement for tax hikes.
So what were the only 2 areas that the majority of voters told the Field Poll they were willing to see take cuts in the state budget?

Prisons/corrections and parks/recreation.
http://www.field.com/fieldpollonline...rs/Rls2306.pdf

The legislature has its work cut out for it. No matter where they cut there will be a lot of angry voters. As Curmudgeon says, there are no simple quick solutions.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:27 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,553,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If a program has been mandated by the vote of the people, such as Prop. 63, the Mental Health Services Act then it takes a 2/3 vote of the Legislature to place a revision on the ballot as was done for this election. Cutting existing programs isn't easy. In some cases it can be done by majority vote of the Legislature. Some programs the Administration can cut but it's not always very simple. Program cuts also mean personnel cuts and in some cases, staffing levels have been established through collective bargaining and there are union contracts to consider. In other cases the state has to show maintenance of effort in order to qualify for federal reimbursements or programs may be mandated by federal law even though they're staffed and administered by the state or, in certain areas, counties.

There's been a lot of talk about cutting public pensions but that's almost impossible to do retrospectively because of their contractual nature. It might be done prospectively but then again, the unions come into play.

So cutting spending is a lot more complicated than some think. The programs that people think should be trimmed are likely not able to be trimmed, so the state will be limited to what they can actually cut back on - which might be programs people don't think should be cut.

Interesting. More and more, it sounds like the state needs to find a way to file bankruptcy so that it can get out of its contracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California