Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 04:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,691 times

Advertisements

I have only one addiction that is smoking. I found some aids at: http://www.quit-smoking-drug.com/quit-smoking-aids.htmlknow quit smoking aids available and quit smoking using any of aids, is there anything else? And what's the best aid over there to quit smoking?

Any experience?????

Last edited by Karunakar; 11-14-2008 at 05:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 05:16 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karunakar View Post
I have only one addiction that is smoking. I found some aids at: know quit smoking aids available and quit smoking using any of aidsknow quit smoking aids available and quit smoking using any of aids, is there anything else? And what's the best aid over there to quit smoking?

Any experience?????
I smoked for 48 years and quit using Chantix. The important thing is you have to be ready to quit. It is not a magic pill but definitely wortht the cost and few side effects (weird dreams, sleeplessness). I took full dosage for 5 weeks, dropped to half dosage and stop medication at 9 weeks. I am smoke free for 14 months.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:18 AM

681 posts, read 2,877,461 times
The best way to stop smoking is to follow this procedure:

1) Destroy all tobacco products you have.

2) Do not, in any way, obtain more tobacco products.

If you follow these two steps, it will be totally impossible for you to smoke. Problem solved.

You should also avoid smoky places... secondhand smoke is no better than the regular smoke.

It's all a matter of willpower. If you don't want to keep smoking, stop putting cigarettes in your mouth and lighting them.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:51 AM

12 posts, read 45,851 times
There is a book that I used called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. Please go buy it! When I was trying to quit smoking a couple of years ago, I searched all over the internet for the best methods and I stumbled across this book. I have done the patch, classes, hypnosis....but as all smokers know, quitting is difficult! I was skeptical about the claims this book made, but figured, why not give it a try? It was the best thing I ever did. I can't say enough. It made quitting SOOO easy. But, I agree with the above poster, you do have to want to quit. You can continue smoking while reading the book.....so that could be a plus for you?? I sent the book to my uncle in Arkansas who has been smoking for 30 years. He read the book, promptly quit smoking and has 3 friends lined up waiting to borrow the book. They also offer seminars and CD's if you don't like reading. I know I sound like an infomercial, but I promise, I'm not. I'm just a reformed smoker who was lucky enough to find this book......
Good luck to you, I wish you well whatever method you choose.....

Old 11-15-2008, 03:35 PM

18 posts, read 110,189 times
cognitivequitting™

Read everything at the above link. It's good information and it's true.

Pills/supplements help for some people but not for others. My personal experience tells me that people think that taking a pill will make them not want to smoke. This is obviously false since smoking is much more of a true habit than it is an addiction. What are the withdrawal symptoms associated quitting? Irritability and difficulty concentrating? Gee, what a vice. I think the real key to quitting is understanding your own triggers and finding a good way to keep your mind occupied. Delve into a hobby during the process of quitting.. it could help you switch up your routine and keep your mind occupied. Put together models, start hiking, or buy a video game console.. do whatever.

Check this site out too: Quit Smoking Counter - Online counter that measures smoking cessation and the length of time the person has stopped smoking, money you saved and extra live gained!.

You can do anything you really want to do, so if you don't succeed it's not really a failure.. you probably just decided you'd rather have a smoke than call it quits. It happens... just keep at it. It's your decision, and don't let people pressure you. Maybe you don't even want to tell your friends "I'm quitting"... having other people place expectations on you makes the experience harder than necessary. It makes quitting about them instead of about you. It's up to you how you do it. Good luck.

One last piece of advice: The whole idea of having "one last cigarette" is crap. All it means is that you're not ready to quit and you want to smoke some more. So just wait until you're actually ready.. if you're in mid-smoke when you decide to go for it, then put it out halfway through and let it begin.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:29 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
I quit smoking years ago by......drum roll....not putting another cigarette in my mouth. Like someone else said, get rid of all your cigarettes and don't go to the store and buy more. You will feel "edgy" for a few days, but within a week you should feel normal. The withdraw symptoms are relatively minor though.

It takes awhile to really stop thinking about smoking again though. Now, I find the smell etc of it just disgusting.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:30 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
I quit 15 years ago.

At the end of the day, you just have to want to do it. I went back & forth about how to do it, whether to use gum, whatever. But bottom line, I woke up one day and said " I Quit" and that was it.

Couple things that helped me: I avoided situations where I used to smoke alot. Stopped going to bars & clubs. Laid off going to Vegas for 6 months. Even stopped having the occasional beer during football games or at work functions because mentally I associated beer with smoking. I chewed gum & sunflower seeds to satisfy my oral compulsions, particulary after meals or during my commute.

After I had kicked the habit I dipped my toe back into places/occasions I associated with smoking. Occasionally I would get a craving in these situations, but I just whipped out some gum & distracted myself. It took about 3-4 years for me to lose all desire for cigarettes.

Bottom line, like the ad says: Just do it. And if you fall down and light up, give yourself grace, shake it off & get back on the wagon.

Good Luck!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I quit smoking years ago by......drum roll....not putting another cigarette in my mouth. Like someone else said, get rid of all your cigarettes and don't go to the store and buy more. You will feel "edgy" for a few days, but within a week you should feel normal. The withdraw symptoms are relatively minor though.

It takes awhile to really stop thinking about smoking again though. Now, I find the smell etc of it just disgusting.
Great advice..The physical addiction to cigarettes is 24 hours..that's it..the mental addiction is pretty much forever....I would stay away from any of the nicotine products on the market..they are not good for you and they have a very low success rate..i guess it does keep you from smoking but it can be very expensive..I tried the gum and got addicted to it..but i did quit the gum..and have not smoked cigarette for 12 years..

Old 11-21-2008, 10:30 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Can only speak for myself, but I quit cold turkey in the following way:

1. decided not to smoke any more.
2. stopped smoking.
3. continued not smoking.

It was difficult for the first two or three weeks when I had to keep reminding myself of my decision (step 1 above). After about a month, I tried to smoke and the taste was completely different -- tasted like dirt. That when I knew I'd kicked the habit. Worked for me. You won't regret quitting.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:38 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
You will feel "edgy" for a few days, but within a week you should feel normal. The withdraw symptoms are relatively minor though.
Not for everyone. It took me a full year to stop thinking about cigarettes. I went into a complete mourning process, e.g. "This is my first Thanksgiving without cigarettes, my first New Year's..." Bla, bla. I was a true pack-a-day-addict.

Quote:
I STILL love the smell of cigarettes. They were like food to me. To this day, some twenty years after giving it up, when I see someone smoking, I feel a pang of envy. But I don't miss all that smoking paraphernalia, trying to find an ashtray, listening to speeches from non-smokers, spending all that money on the habit, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: