Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2023, 11:54 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Never lived in Houston so I can't comment. I have, however, lived in Stockton. Worked there, as well.

There are definitely parts of the city I would avoid but there are also good neighborhoods I would feel completely safe (and have felt). Just like with any city in any state in this country. But ... and this is the most important "but," if you haven't lived in that city/town, a person cannot say what is or isn't good (or bad) about it. See it on a daily basis and then form an opinion. Sure it gets hot there too, just like all the cities up and and down the valley but, like you said, there is practically zero humidity and that makes the heat bearable. The humidity anyplace east of the Rockies is (to me) insufferable. At least the places I've visited over the years. People need to stop believing everything they read online or social media.
Yep, and Stockton does not have the sprawl that one would experience in Houston. I don't think I've ever seen a place with that type of traffic. I'm familiar enough with both places.

Old 09-29-2023, 11:57 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
Yes prop 13 is good if you bought a long time ago. But then you can't renovate or it triggers reappraisal
no, if you renovate the cost of renovations are added to the tax basis you don't lose anything.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:30 PM

612 posts, read 351,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I'd change the word Stockton to Houston. It's not exactly a city that I'd call a picnic. You're clearly not aware of the type of heat they have, and especially this year. I'd take Stockton any day over Houston. The humidity there is oppressive and there's seldom a time that there's not traffic there. Not exactly a cup of tea.
I have lived in Houston. It's as diverse as LA but more integrated. You get a similar variety of food and cultural events, though not as deep or high quality yet.

The daily average high temperatures are actually similar to east side of LA, but it's more humid and warmer overnight. I actually miss the evenings in the 70s and 80s where you can wear shorts, but the rest of the time LA weather is better.

Traffic is much better than in LA. The highway system is more extensive and complete, so you don't have to be stuck on surface streets in neighborhoods all the time.

Most of Houston looks newer, because they are still allowing new construction of housing.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
no, if you renovate the cost of renovations are added to the tax basis you don't lose anything.
Under Proposition 13, property is assessed for tax purposes at the purchase price, and the assessed value cannot be raised more than two percent per year unless there is a change of ownership or new construction.

But what constitutes “new construction” and how much will the taxes go up?

Under California property tax law, “new construction” is:

Any substantial addition to land or improvements, including fixtures.

Any physical alteration of any improvement, or a portion thereof, to a “like-new” condition, or to extend its economic life, or to change the way in which the improvement, or portion thereof, is used.

Any substantial physical alteration of land which constitutes a major rehabilitation of the land or changes the manner in which it is used.

Any substantial physical rehabilitation, renovation or modernization of any fixture that converts it to the substantial equivalent of a new fixture or any substitution of a new fixture

Old 09-29-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Yep, and Stockton does not have the sprawl that one would experience in Houston. I don't think I've ever seen a place with that type of traffic. I'm familiar enough with both places.

LA metro area is much bigger than Houston. It's 3x the square miles

Old 09-29-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
So what. Anyone still has a choice. And you're wrong. Prop 13 still benefits everyone. The tax rate prior to Prop 13 passing was like 2.6%. 1% acquisition cost with a max increase of 2% per year is definitely beneficial. I'm sorry you have such a hard time understanding this.
If it keeps increasing.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I have lived in Houston.
Sure you have

Old 09-29-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
LA metro area is much bigger than Houston. It's 3x the square miles
I wasn't aware Stockton was in the LA metro

Old 09-29-2023, 05:12 PM

Quote:
If it keeps increasing.
Yawn.... 2% per year.

And round and round you go. Sorry you can't seem to understand how this works.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:21 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware Stockton was in the LA metro
It's not and I don't don't know why you two are arguing over it when you're discussing LA vs. Houston. And I doubt either of you live or have lived in or around the vicinity of Stockton so neither of you are experts on it, other than passing through or reading about it in an article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California