Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 12:13 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,366,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I was miserable there. I’m very happy in Idaho so guess your mom was wrong
You never sound happy, so maybe my mom was right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 12:49 PM

4,432 posts, read 1,719,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I share in the general sentiment that California is an overtaxed and overregulated state. I also share the sentiment that, all too often, we allow drug addicts, the homeless, and those who come here illegally to do as they please while they seem to have no problem enforcing stuff on the working and taxpaying populace.

That said, something had to be done about the smog. Perhaps not every regulation was needed, but because of the unique issues presented by our geography and climate, they simply had to be stricter than in the rest of the U.S. where smog was / is less of a problem.
It was BAAAD! Getting rid of leaded gasoline was probably the first big step in the right direction. While the air is much, much cleaner these days (I haven't had issues with Asthma since i was a kid), the CA air is still pretty dirty. I live in the San Bernardino mountains. Some days, I can see clear to the ocean (you can actually see Catalina Island from here). Other days, I can't even see San Bernardino because of the smog/haze.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:04 PM

928 posts, read 1,069,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
I have never visited California but have a relative who moved to southern California and loves it. Granted, she moved from a place with harsh winters. But surely weather is not the only thing transplants like about the place. I keep reading about the exodus from California and the gripes many natives express about how the lifestyle has changed for the worst over time, but it would be interesting to hear a different perspective.

Are you a transplant (from another US state) who really enjoys California and plans on staying ? Now that you have been living there, what do you love about California and what are the positives that make your move worth it retrospectively ?
I moved to So Cal 34 years ago from MN and still love it here. Not only is the weather is great but I love sitting in my backyard and looking at the mountains. Just returned from a road trip back from MN and even though I saw lots of nice things nothing is like CA.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:04 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,767,264 times
Quote:
I was miserable there. I’m very happy in Idaho so guess your mom was wrong
Part of the small minority. Living in So. Cal was great! Enjoy your winters! Must not have much going on there if you keep coming back.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:26 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,194,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You never sound happy, so maybe my mom was right
Your mom was wrong. Happy Easter

Old 04-04-2021, 09:29 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,194,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Part of the small minority. Living in So. Cal was great! Enjoy your winters! Must not have much going on there if you keep coming back.
You’re right living in so cal was great once upon a time. I survived the one snow storm Boise had just fine thanks for your concern. Happy Easter

Old 04-04-2021, 09:29 AM

42,867 posts, read 26,366,900 times
Quote:
Your mom was wrong. Happy Easter
Happy Easter to you too

Old 04-04-2021, 09:45 AM

36,667 posts, read 67,622,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
The transplants I've known, would NEVER return to their home states.
Same.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:29 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,791,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Same.
Unfortunately a lot of the ones I know that have left were born in CA and are transplanting to another Sate and it wasn't about cost of living. Just the dramatic changes over the years. I can't off the top of my head think of any transplants that did leave, that I know. Oops, one did, my older brother.

Old 04-04-2021, 04:08 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,273,053 times
I'm a transplant from Canada which is pretty similar lifestyle to the U.S. And honestly I love it here in California...so much so that I'm struggling to make it work for me and my family. Many times I have thought about leaving to another state where housing is cheaper, but then my pay would go down as well, plus there is something special about California. It's really a love hate relationship in many respects....you have to deal with crowds, forest fires, high cost of living, but then with all that you get great weather, food, beaches, nature, parks, bountiful amenities...and that bright California sun shining on your smiling face. It truly has been the most conflicting and interesting chapter of my life and I'm doing my best to make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California