Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 01:35 PM

928 posts, read 1,068,172 times

Advertisements

I moved to CA 30 years ago from Minnesota. I love it here. Waking up every morning and looking at the snow capped mountains is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 02:13 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,385,347 times
Any people besides mirage98de and 04kL4nD who moved to CA from the South and are happy with their move ?

Old 04-02-2021, 04:11 PM

795 posts, read 408,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Thanks to those who posted.

I should have mentioned that my relative moved there on a salary somewhere between 70K and 80K and was having the time of her life (still is apparently). She also found a nice 1 bedroom in a good neighboorhood for $1300. That was in 2015. This made me question the negative narrative ? As I said I have no first hand experience with California, but for example my chilhood friend was saying that I would regret it if I moved there.
Hell you just said it right there. 1 bedroom shoebox apartment for $1300 a month. Try renting that now and it will cost you $2k a month. Then you also have the highest fuel costs in the nation for your car, high utility bills, high food costs, heavy traffic to the point a drive that SHOULD take 15 minutes takes an hour or more. Homeless people relieving themselves and living on the sidewalks. Rampant drug use and stoners everywhere. Weed stores on every other street corner along with Starbucks. Some lazy bum standing at every freeway off ramp and intersection begging for money. Smog, high crime, etc. get your car broken into? Cops won’t even come out to take a report in person. File it over the phone. Same thing if your car gets stolen.

“Planned” brown/black outs when the winds pick up so a downed power line doesn’t light half the state on fire because of our severely mismanaged forests. A power system that can’t remotely keep up with the needs of the states which causes black outs during the summer when it is 105 degrees and everyone has their AC u it’s running full blast. Crumbling infrastructure and horribly maintained roads. Massively outdated water system that also can’t keep up with the states demands.

Massive over regulation on oh so many things you can’t even begin to count. Worst smog laws and standards in the country. Any part you put on your vehicle MUST be CARB approved, which means it will cost you double what it would in any other normal state. CA compliant catalytic converter? Double the cost of a non compliant one. Want a tuner or pedal commander? Better buy and install it before you get here and be ready to take it off before you go to get it smogged.

Own guns? Definitely not the state for you. No magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is legal here. Want to buy a new one? Gotta pay a fee and take a test to prove to the state you are worthy and get a card that’s good for 5 years. Then you need to pass a background check and pay your money and wait 10 business days before you can even go pick up your new gun. Oh yeah, have to do that for your ammo now too. Can’t buy it online unless you have it shipped to a FFL and pay a transfer fee.

This state is a rotting cesspool where illegal immigrants have more rights than born and bred US citizens. Counting down the days until our escape from this mess of a state.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:37 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,385,347 times
Thanks for your contribution.

I started this thread to have positive feedback in order to gain a more rounded perspective.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:47 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
Hell you just said it right there. 1 bedroom shoebox apartment for $1300 a month. Try renting that now and it will cost you $2k a month. Then you also have the highest fuel costs in the nation for your car, high utility bills, high food costs, heavy traffic to the point a drive that SHOULD take 15 minutes takes an hour or more. Homeless people relieving themselves and living on the sidewalks. Rampant drug use and stoners everywhere. Weed stores on every other street corner along with Starbucks. Some lazy bum standing at every freeway off ramp and intersection begging for money. Smog, high crime, etc. get your car broken into? Cops won’t even come out to take a report in person. File it over the phone. Same thing if your car gets stolen.

“Planned” brown/black outs when the winds pick up so a downed power line doesn’t light half the state on fire because of our severely mismanaged forests. A power system that can’t remotely keep up with the needs of the states which causes black outs during the summer when it is 105 degrees and everyone has their AC u it’s running full blast. Crumbling infrastructure and horribly maintained roads. Massively outdated water system that also can’t keep up with the states demands.

Massive over regulation on oh so many things you can’t even begin to count. Worst smog laws and standards in the country. Any part you put on your vehicle MUST be CARB approved, which means it will cost you double what it would in any other normal state. CA compliant catalytic converter? Double the cost of a non compliant one. Want a tuner or pedal commander? Better buy and install it before you get here and be ready to take it off before you go to get it smogged.

Own guns? Definitely not the state for you. No magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is legal here. Want to buy a new one? Gotta pay a fee and take a test to prove to the state you are worthy and get a card that’s good for 5 years. Then you need to pass a background check and pay your money and wait 10 business days before you can even go pick up your new gun. Oh yeah, have to do that for your ammo now too. Can’t buy it online unless you have it shipped to a FFL and pay a transfer fee.

This state is a rotting cesspool where illegal immigrants have more rights than born and bred US citizens. Counting down the days until our escape from this mess of a state.
If I even close to being as miserable as you are, I'd move - might I ask why you are still here?

Old 04-02-2021, 05:02 PM

26,763 posts, read 26,869,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If I even close to being as miserable as you are, I'd move - might I ask why you are still here?
Amen to that.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:35 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
... Counting down the days until our escape from this mess of a state.
Somehow I’m thinking you’re not the only one counting down the days till you leave.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,411,459 times
Quote:
Repped you for that. I don't get these types at all.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Letting my daughter finish out her school year. Didn’t want to shift her to the other side of the country over halfway thru the school year. We have already purchased our new amazing huge home on 24 acres for an 1/8th of what a similar home and property would cost here in Kommiefornia. Moving trailer is booked, plans for the cross country drive and move are set, 2 weeks after my daughter finishes first grade we are putting this whole mess of a state firmly in the rear view mirror.

Sure California was fun when I first moved here in 2004. However it has gone steadily downhill every single year since. The current moron nazi wannabe in Sacramento has taken it from bad to worse and his abysmal handling of the China virus has made it all the worse. Never mind his EV demand that he doesn’t have the authority to even Implement, let alone his throwing taxpayer money at illegal border jumpers before US citizens. Gavin Newscum is a plague upon an already spiraling out of control state. You all can enjoy the fall. I’m getting my family the hell out of here and back to free America.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Thanks for your contribution.

I started this thread to have positive feedback in order to gain a more rounded perspective.
It’s not all sunshine and rainbows and skiing and surfing in the same day kid. You want the postcard or the real story? Ya know that old saying, never judge a book by its cover. Well, don’t judge California on the bikinis and the beach. While it might look good on the surface, this state is rotten to the core underneath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California