Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2022, 06:15 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times

Advertisements

Another observation driving past a school today: more students outdoors, which I think is because many kids who tested positive earlier are back.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:30 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Another observation driving past a school today: more students outdoors, which I think is because many kids who tested positive earlier are back.

Has nothing to do with it and positive cases can't be on campus.

Why not just go read LAUSD protocols instead of continuing to guess about this stuff? I've given you the links.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:36 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
5 things to know about ordering free COVID tests (starting today, 1/18):

1. The process is simple
2. Think a few weeks down the road
3. Don’t take the tests for kicks
4. Private insurances are required to reimburse for at-home tests, too
5. Frequent testing does not replace other COVID-19 precautions

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...starting-today

Too little too late.

You can get four tests. That's it. Here's how that goes; one person in a household tests because they're symptomatic and comes up positive. All others in the same household follow suit, and show negative because they aren't going to shed the virus at that point, thus wasting the other tests just so they can be clear to return to work or school. Now the tests are depleted and in a week, the other household members need to source them elsewhere, especially those who are then symptomatic and need them for the same reason prior.

It's better than nothing, but I don't see what it's going to solve. By the time this is sorted out, omicron wil have burned out the population. They should've set this all in motion at least a year ago.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:18 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Too little too late.

You can get four tests. That's it. Here's how that goes; one person in a household tests because they're symptomatic and comes up positive. All others in the same household follow suit, and show negative because they aren't going to shed the virus at that point, thus wasting the other tests just so they can be clear to return to work or school. Now the tests are depleted and in a week, the other household members need to source them elsewhere, especially those who are then symptomatic and need them for the same reason prior.

It's better than nothing, but I don't see what it's going to solve. By the time this is sorted out, omicron wil have burned out the population. They should've set this all in motion at least a year ago.
Do you think this is a way to stop the daily counts of cases and deaths? There’s no way to count home tests. Personally I think this is a signal for the end of the pandemic. The surging numbers do nothing good for the President and he needs it to go away.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:23 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
I, like many Indian-Americans, am darker than many African Americans. If America was so racist, how are Indian immigrants and their descendants able to do better than the White median AND have a lower rate of being arrested than Whites if cops were targeting based on skin color alone?
Glad that you're able to do well for yourself. Are you looking for a pat on the back or something?

I happen to have done very well for myself as well. That doesn't mean I don't acknowledge that other folks aren't as fortunate and that it's important to have compassion for the fellow man.

The true measure of a good person isn't just how well they do for themselves but how they treat others. It's pretty clear to me that you're all about taking care of yourself without any regard for helpiing others in need. Chances are you had a family that valued education, hard work and perseverance. That means you have privilege, irrespective of the color of your skin. Even if you grew up poor, with a supporting family, you have a much higher chance of being successful in life.

Imagine if you came from a broken household, grew up in a high crime area and were influenced by gang members. If you grew up male, there's a high probability you won't make it to adulthood. If you would try to walk a mile in some of their shoes rather than trying to rationalize with your own privilege, you may start to have some empathy and understanding for their plight. But, judging on your me, me, me posts, I don't think you have that type of empathy inside of you.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Has nothing to do with it and positive cases can't be on campus.

Why not just go read LAUSD protocols instead of continuing to guess about this stuff? I've given you the links.
Again you misread what I said. Students who tested positive per eligibility to start the semester now would be coming back. I don't see what protocols have to do with dozens more students outside than last week.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:53 PM

https://www.yahoo.com/news/omicron-v...181049053.html

If Omicron is 99.5% of cases in the USA, then it would follow the percentage is similar in California. So why are deaths increasing in LA? All "with COVID" sounds doubtful. Then how is the supposedly cold-like variant killing people?

Old 01-18-2022, 11:12 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,155 times
Quote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/omicron-v...181049053.html

If Omicron is 99.5% of cases in the USA, then it would follow the percentage is similar in California. So why are deaths increasing in LA? All "with COVID" sounds doubtful. Then how is the supposedly cold-like variant killing people?

A good number of those people are dying "with Covid" rather than of Covid: get hit by a car and test positive for Covid upon death, it counts as a Covid death. Now that's the exception but I am speculating that half of those deaths are also people dying of heart attacks, cancer, old age, etc with Covid positive tests counted as deaths.

A healthy young person is far more likely to die in this manner than of Covid but at least the murderer was wearing an N95 when he stabbed the gal to death: https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...eless-man.html

A community that cannot keep retail employees safe from violent crime has no business using their resources to enforce Covid restrictions such as masking in stores or requiring vaccine passports to go to a bar.

Last edited by ThinkingOutsideTheBox; 01-18-2022 at 11:32 PM..

Old 01-19-2022, 08:07 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
...why are deaths increasing in LA? All "with COVID" sounds doubtful. Then how is the supposedly cold-like variant killing people?
L.A. sub forum: https://www.city-data.com/forum/62717768-post635.html

Old 01-19-2022, 10:36 AM

Yeah, but the issue seems to rise to the state and national level and that doesn't explain it more than the nonsense about dying trauma victims being called COVID deaths.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/4-signs-o...153809296.html
My guess is it's often when Omicron is joined by a case of flu or pneumonia (barely an issue in South Africa, where it was and still is summer). Health authorities have been warning about flurona since 2020 and there's a combo vaccine in development. Omicron will be taken more seriously if its more severe consequences are explained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California