Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 03:14 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I received an email from my healthcare provider that said I could be tested if it was medically necessary.

It sounds like you have to be symptomatic to get tested.
That's my understanding of it, too. People just can't go get a test because they want it. If that was the case, can you imagine? Every hypochondriac on the planet would be lined up.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
What I'd like to have after this is all over is an emergency plan for all hospitals to handle various types of large scale emergencies like this one. While we won't necessarily be able to stockpile any equipment that may be needed (ie: ventilators) because the situation may be different, we can have triage and isolation areas that can go up quickly if needed. Whether it's large tents, portables, or the ability to throw together an annex in 10 days per China. AFAIK we don't have anything like that in our current emergency response departments. We failed during Hurricane Katrina and learned lessons from that, hopefully we will learn lessons from this too. It will never be perfect, but at least it's a jumping off point.

Obviously we need to make sure we manufacture what we need and also have backups with close allies in case our factories are out of commission.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:59 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What I'd like to have after this is all over is an emergency plan for all hospitals to handle various types of large scale emergencies like this one. While we won't necessarily be able to stockpile any equipment that may be needed (ie: ventilators) because the situation may be different, we can have triage and isolation areas that can go up quickly if needed. Whether it's large tents, portables, or the ability to throw together an annex in 10 days per China. AFAIK we don't have anything like that in our current emergency response departments. We failed during Hurricane Katrina and learned lessons from that, hopefully we will learn lessons from this too. It will never be perfect, but at least it's a jumping off point.

Obviously we need to make sure we manufacture what we need and also have backups with close allies in case our factories are out of commission.
The problem (in my opinion) is that in California, Southern California anyways, you don’t have the bad weather, hurricanes, etc. that other people have had to prepare for. Although it’s earthquake country I get the feeling that most people think we won’t have a big earthquake or it’ll be manageable. This should be a wake up call for everyone to be prepared for a long term emergency.

I thought I was prepared but I wasn’t, even though my work offered disaster preparedness classes every year. Everyone should get a plan together if they don’t already have one so you don’t have to go out foraging trying to find supplies when the next emergency hits.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:16 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That's my understanding of it, too. People just can't go get a test because they want it. If that was the case, can you imagine? Every hypochondriac on the planet would be lined up.
And it’s a good thing since out of those that think they have it, only 11-13% are currently testing positive so that seems to make sense to only get the test if you have the symptoms.

https://covidtracking.com/data/

Old 03-21-2020, 04:29 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
True. I know a few people that would be first in line.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:39 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
And I still believe air travel should halt for 30 days.
Agreed. If cruise ships are hotbeds for infection, airplanes have got to be even worse.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:59 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Agreed. If cruise ships are hotbeds for infection, airplanes have got to be even worse.
Especially when the airlines have been doing this over the last decade and likely increased buybacks since the Tax Act was passed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ource=url_link

Old 03-21-2020, 05:09 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolanders View Post
It wipes out 300,000 to 650,000 people EVERY single year worldwide. It is far worse than this by exponential amounts if you look at actual numbers
Below is copy/pasted -- with permission -- from an immunologist at Johns Hopkins University:

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel, or new, viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity), took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs.

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery! And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:12 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
I hope you all get a chuckle out of this one. Last night, I was talking to my friend who lives in Modesto. She told me her Costco put up a sign, which I now know has been done by all Costco stores. Seems the panic buying has turned into buyer's remorse and many have tried to return a large amount of the TP, paper towels, sanitizer, wipes and rice they purchased in their panic stricken state of mind. Costco finally put up a sign that reads ....

I figured something like this would happen because people are stupid.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:15 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
No it's not.
Because of mankind's complete lack of natural immunity to the coronavirus, it is much worse. When exposed to it, you WILL contract an infection.

Here's a short video prepared by an Emergency Room physician. Please watch it. It might save your life - or the life of someone you care about.

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/stat...25019952263170
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California