Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 01:32 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Sorry but again, I'm confused. I just heard this on national news last night. China reported no new infections due to their locking down. Are you saying this isn't true and fake news? I sincerely want to know what's going on there. I don't have any relatives in China but I still care about the people of that country. They are the same as you and me. Just regular people trying to live their life.

I am on reddit coronavirus forum and i seen video's from china that appears many people are still sick. It's impossible to independently confirm this but i suspect it's true. China main goal right now is to show 1) country have recovered or almost recovered 2) Move the blame away from them for the rest of the world issue. It would not surprise me if China starts locking up people that are appear to be sick in effort to show image of stability and recovery. National media will use what China is saying as they are trying to show most positive thing possible right now among all of the negative that is going on. I would keep my eye on France, Italy, basically Europe. Italy was hit really hard next after China, so what happens there in say 2-3 weeks from now will be much more evident on what really country can expect as result of this virus. Lastly do not forget that this is step 1 . Next each country perhaps even each city/state will need to have quarantine on their border in place for long time. If you open yourself up to outside "world", you will be infected again. In esense this will be very long process and will not end until there is vaccine that is readily available and given to big part of world population.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:06 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
California order everyone to shelter in place except for specific business. While other states even those that took action you can still go out, be in a group etc.
Looker, as of today, California, New York and Washington state each have over 1,000 confirmed cases (N.Y. has over 5,000).

These are the number of confirmed cases in the states you listed: Texas: 260, Missouri: 31, Mississippi: 50, Wyoming: 18, Oklahoma: 44. Do you see the difference?

Old 03-20-2020, 02:09 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
Quote:
I am on reddit coronavirus forum and i seen video's from china that appears many people are still sick. It's impossible to independently confirm this but i suspect it's true. China main goal right now is to show 1) country have recovered or almost recovered 2) Move the blame away from them for the rest of the world issue. It would not surprise me if China starts locking up people that are appear to be sick in effort to show image of stability and recovery. National media will use what China is saying as they are trying to show most positive thing possible right now among all of the negative that is going on. I would keep my eye on France, Italy, basically Europe. Italy was hit really hard next after China, so what happens there in say 2-3 weeks from now will be much more evident on what really country can expect as result of this virus. Lastly do not forget that this is step 1 . Next each country perhaps even each city/state will need to have quarantine on their border in place for long time. If you open yourself up to outside "world", you will be infected again. In esense this will be very long process and will not end until there is vaccine that is readily available and given to big part of world population.
Thanks for these details. Sadly, with the disinformation being spread by so many (including governments) social media has to be filtered to get at the truth (while still avoiding the crazy conspiracy theories).

You are correct, however. Even countries that manage to stop the spread will have to remain closed and locked down until a vaccine or treatments are available.

What we are being told over and over by the actual doctors (not that anyone is listening to them) is that 60-70% of the population MUST contract and suffer through COVID-19 before we will see any meaningful decrease in the threat from it.

Our immune system and herd immunity is our only real defense.

The big question is: can/should we slow down the spread to allow our under-funded under-staffed hospitals and emergency services to save a larger % of the critical cases, or do/will we throw up our hands, let the virus rage, unchecked, and then go back and pick up the pieces later?

What happens in Italy will tell us where we are headed. So far it is not looking good. We could have seen a decrease in at least the slope of the cuve and an inflection point by now, but we have not. Nationwide quarantine took place 10 days ago. Average time to show symptoms is 5 days, with another 5 days to progression to severe enough symptoms to head to the hospital where testing is most likely. That means by 10 days we should see the start of a fall-off in new cases. Instead, we see a massive increase in new cases today (14,000 today compared to 7,000 yesterday, and ~3,000/day the previous 3 days). It appears that lockdown has done nothing to the expected asymptotic curve.

The Taiwanese/Korean massive testing/tracking/quarantine project seems to be the only effective way of stopping the virus. That was culturally impossible for Western nations before, and just simply physically impossible now. We can pray that the Chinese aren't lying about the effect of their lockdown, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on it.

Anyway, it's too early to tell for sure. By the end of next week we will know for certain. Right now, though there is no positive news.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Looker, as of today, California, New York and Washington state each have over 1,000 confirmed cases (N.Y. has over 5,000).

These are the number of confirmed cases in the states you listed: Texas: 260, Missouri: 31, Mississippi: 50, Wyoming: 18, Oklahoma: 44. Do you see the difference?

Difference is testing. Also New York didn't have such high numbers until testing started. I would prefer to wait and see approach but unfortunately our leaders decided differently and people have all agree to follow them. Btw you notice the state that order to quarantine are democrats state and all the states that are listed with those low numbers are republican states. I suspect that those states population will not be as supportive to shelter in place as state with majority of states with democratic voters.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:17 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Millenials are in their late 20s and 30s. Those weren't millenials.
Well, then generations might be getting worse every year. Whatever they're called, Z? Point being most 35 and under feel extremely entitled. I think the older millenials that are 40+ are way better than the younger millenials and new undergrads. It has steadily gotten worse every year with regards to their work ethic. It's not all, but I'd say the entitlement attitude is definitely in the majority.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:18 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
And another state bites the bullet:

Illinois to issue shelter in place order

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...e-order-report

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coron...hau-story.html

Old 03-20-2020, 02:19 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Many of those infected on Princess were employee not passengers. As for the toilets smelling, etc I have been on several Princess cruises and never experienced this. Just check the inspection sites by the CDC for Princess and then continue to think they are unsanitary. I will add, I am not a fan of Princess at all, but certainly not due to their lack of cleanliness.
I went on Princess cruises last year. Most of the radical environmental changes to cruise ships didn't occur until the last two years when companies are suddenly pressured to embrace "greenism" to get good PR even to the point of sacrificing customer relations. Thus I don't know the situation of Princess in the past, though I notice cruise ships were overall cleaner when I cruised about a decade ago and used to smell nice. Princess used to be a very good line I bet based on reviews. The Princess Cruise I took was in Europe/ Mediterranean sea area.
It appears the smell might be the result of not using a good amount of chemicals to clean the restrooms and flush the sewage pipes. In my experience eco-friendly dishwashing soap has a tough time cleaning up the grime on dishes and cups. Including the ones used in Dishwashers.

While cruise employees are more likely to get it as they would either be forced to stay in super tiny quarters that are meant for sleeping only or they have to continue to work and serve guests who may be infected before or after the quarantine. Though Coronavirus cases did affect a number of guests too and are likely to be brought in by incoming guests.

Even if Coronavirus does not attack human stomachs directly like a food borne disease.
I still stand firm that we should avoid reusable items during the outbreak as the virus may rest on anything. I am not saying that disposable can make you absolutely safe, one still disinfect paper and plastic items from the store, however, we should avoid items that can continue to let the virus sit on it and possibly transmit. If the item is only touched once it would reduce transmission than items touched over and over.
And we would want to avoid foodborne diseases too while our hospitals are overwhelmed and disease-ridden.

patch.com/massachusetts/beverly/ma-coronavirus-grocery-stores-want-plastic-bag-ban-ended

I am glad grocery store chains are coming to their senses. And not lobby for this anymore as an excuse to make money off selling bags. Nothing in most ordinances prohibit a store from banning bringing bags from outside anyways, or requiring them to be checked in at the door. Good way to avoid shrinkage.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:20 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Thank you for the update. I understand there will be people still sick and slowly recovering. I meant in my comment about the news report that no new infections have occurred. But, as Wac said, misinformation runs rampant and it's hard to tell what's true or not true. Even I fell into the trap of believing what people have been reporting. Now, I'm a wait and watch observer who won't jump to any more conclusions without real evidence. I just hope we see more decline in the coming weeks and fewer lives lost. I mean we're all going to die someday but I hate to think it's this virus that's taking them, maybe too soon. I know. The eternal optimist. Even I give myself an eyeroll on that.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And another state bites the bullet:

Illinois to issue shelter in place order

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...e-order-report

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coron...hau-story.html

Another blue state. I wonder how long before red state goes on lock down. I am betting much longer compare to any blue state but time will tell.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:28 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Sorry but again, I'm confused. I just heard this on national news last night. China reported no new infections due to their locking down. Are you saying this isn't true and fake news? I sincerely want to know what's going on there. I don't have any relatives in China but I still care about the people of that country. They are the same as you and me. Just regular people trying to live their life.

What a shame that kids are still as stupid today as they've been in the past. While I understand their thoughts, they'll find out soon enough as they get older. I used to think I knew everything about life and my folks used to stay quiet and let me make a fool of myself. I got wise, finally. These young people will too but I still wonder how they will feel if they end up infecting someone in their own family. I know they don't care about strangers but they may still have a compassion for members of their own family.

And you are so right about what we're asking of them. My generation didn't have a choice when it came to war. Uncle Sam called, they went. No whining and crying about not wanting to go and for that, and for them, I have a lot of respect. Of course, my grandfather was a WWI vet and Dad, WWII so my respect for the military vets is pretty high on the chart. But please. Don't whack your kids. They need that gray matter to maneuver through life. Jello brains doesn't get you far. lol j/k
Haha, yes, no I won't whack them, but honestly sometimes they might need it. So true, my grandfather was WWI, father was Korean War. These kids probably didn't have parents that were in the military, so maybe that's part of it. I did give them a pass for being on the beach at Spring Break, because I can't honestly say what I would have done back then or even have known the details of all this since there was no internet and we never watched TV in college. But, now, you'd think they'd get it. Let's hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California