Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2020, 04:11 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday asked Congress for $1 billion in federal funds to support the state’s medical response to the novel coronavirus, which he expects will infect more than half of all Californians.

The state projects that roughly 56% of Californians, or 25.5 million people, will be infected with the coronavirus over an eight week period, Newsom said in a letter sent to President Trump on Wednesday requesting the deployment of the USNS Mercy Hospital Ship to the port of Los Angeles through Sept. 1.

In a separate letter sent to the leaders of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, Newsom said the financial aid is critical to the state’s ability to procure ventilators and other medical supplies, activate state-run hospitals, deploy mobile hospitals and meet other healthcare needs.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...id-coronavirus

Old 03-19-2020, 05:27 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Yup. Californians should not pay the price because people in other countries eat cats, dogs, and wild animals. Then they want to come here and cough all over everyone. They need to go. Right now.
Excuse me?

How dare you scapegoat folks who are part of this community and look like me. Some of us Asian Americans have lived through the internment camp experience and wouldn't wish it on anyone else - and the flippancy of how you throw such words around is frankly quite pathetic.

Take your xenophobia and stuff it.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:02 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
I just heard some really sobering news. The governor says that over half the population in the state will become infected with the virus. I sure hope he isn't right.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:04 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday asked Congress for $1 billion in federal funds to support the state’s medical response to the novel coronavirus, which he expects will infect more than half of all Californians.

The state projects that roughly 56% of Californians, or 25.5 million people, will be infected with the coronavirus over an eight week period, Newsom said in a letter sent to President Trump on Wednesday requesting the deployment of the USNS Mercy Hospital Ship to the port of Los Angeles through Sept. 1.

In a separate letter sent to the leaders of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, Newsom said the financial aid is critical to the state’s ability to procure ventilators and other medical supplies, activate state-run hospitals, deploy mobile hospitals and meet other healthcare needs.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...id-coronavirus
Not sure how they project that? I've reached my limit to read the article. If that's the case then is there really a point in staying in-place? So if we don't stay in and party like it's 1999 on the shores of Pacific Beach, then 75% of Californians will get it? We going to be so screwed if this really happens, and in an 8 week period? Just don't buy it.

Sorry, I have to seriously question this when worldwide there are only 244,739 cases, but we'll see if I'm wrong. If whoever is predicting this really believes it, then the whole state should be shut down completely, with no air travel coming in or out and nothing open.

While we're at it, maybe we can put all the homeless on the Love Boats after they've have been disinfected.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:09 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I just heard some really sobering news. The governor says that over half the population in the state will become infected with the virus. I sure hope he isn't right.
Not a big deal, many will not even know it

Old 03-19-2020, 06:16 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Not sure how they project that? I've reached my limit to read the article. If that's the case then is there really a point in staying in-place?
I don't know. It's pretty concerning news. This is an interesting article about how the coronavirus spreads exponentially. Look at the example of how a simulated disease spreads through a population:

Why outbreaks like coronavirus spread exponentially, and how to “flatten the curve”:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/

Old 03-19-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't know. It's pretty concerning news. This is an interesting article about how the coronavirus spreads exponentially. Look at the example of how a simulated disease spreads through a population:

Why outbreaks like coronavirus spread exponentially, and how to “flatten the curve”:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/
Let's hope these measures work and keep the rowdy Spring Breakers in FL and Mexico if anybody even goes to Mexico anymore for Spring Break.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:43 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Not sure how they project that? I've reached my limit to read the article. If that's the case then is there really a point in staying in-place? So if we don't stay in and party like it's 1999 on the shores of Pacific Beach, then 75% of Californians will get it? We going to be so screwed if this really happens, and in an 8 week period? Just don't buy it.

Sorry, I have to seriously question this when worldwide there are only 244,739 cases, but we'll see if I'm wrong. If whoever is predicting this really believes it, then the whole state should be shut down completely, with no air travel coming in or out and nothing open.

While we're at it, maybe we can put all the homeless on the Love Boats after they've have been disinfected.
Yeah sorry, not buying it. I call BS. Did China have that many? And by the way, before someone brings up Italy, they have the second oldest population on earth.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...ly-so-hard/amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Not a big deal, many will not even know it
This is another thing. Many people may have it and will never know it. Again, BS to the doom and gloom.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:43 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Damn sorry that interrupted your glass of wine there Mars! Is nothing sacred? Well, pour another couple to compensate

Old 03-19-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Yeah sorry, not buying it. I call BS. Did China have that many? And by the way, before someone brings up Italy, they have the second oldest population on earth.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...ly-so-hard/amp

This is another thing. Many people may have it and will never know it. Again, BS to the doom and gloom.
I hope we're right. Yeah, average age in Italy is 80. It was interesting that the NJ mother who died at 73 and her two kids that were only in late 40's/early 50's died, and they were Italian-American. I know that couldn't have possibly anything to do with it, but strange nonetheless. That said, we have a long way to go to reach the 60M swine flu cases and 12,400 or so deaths in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California