Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 01:33 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Your list covers what people find frustrating most everywhere in America. And nearly all are issues that have developed over a very long time under both parties at federal and state levels.
Really?

Last I checked most states don't have extreme homelessness with tourists and workers having to dodge human poop on the daily. Try again.

And saying it's frustrating everywhere doesn't address the fact that the politicians in California have done nothing to fix the problems. They haven't even attempted to fix anything. Just spend and hook up the unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 01:37 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Really?

Last I checked most states don't have extreme homelessness with tourists and workers having to dodge human poop on the daily. Try again.
Most states don't have the highest population in the country; hence your complaints about traffic, housing, etc, etc.

And Hawaii and New York apparently have a higher rate of homelessness than California does.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:45 PM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Really?

And saying it's frustrating everywhere doesn't address the fact that the politicians in California have done nothing to fix the problems. They haven't even attempted to fix anything. Just spend and hook up the unions.
Extreme homelessness exists in a number of states including: Massachusetts, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, Illinois, Florida, Washington, D.C., Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Nevada. New York City has the nation’s highest % of population to homeless, L.A. is second, Seattle is third, ... Honolulu and Wash. D.C. are out of control as well. Boston, Chicago ...

California hasn’t done what it needs to about sheltering ... but that is also true of Hawaii and Seattle in particular.

Yet, to say politicians haven’t done anything is just false. This is a monumental problem across the nation and around the globe. And growing each day with increasing wealth inequalities. Under all kinds of different governments.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:46 PM

872 posts, read 595,468 times
Quote:
Really?

The libs want to fulfill obama's class separation dreams like they have in the poorest of third world countries...
Seems like they fantasize about riding through the slums in a limo with hillary et all... notice all the money they are stealing only helps the rich and the situation with the poor only gets worse? that is what is happening and what they promote..and that is what is happening ...its turning around tho and they are in panic mode-- its gonna be prison terms for a lot of them way before President Trump's landslide reelection..

Old 11-06-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Most states don't have the highest population in the country; hence your complaints about traffic, housing, etc, etc.

And Hawaii and New York apparently have a higher rate of homelessness than California does.
Oh, that's good. California is only number 3 in the nation. I'm so glad you cleared that up.

Having a high population is not an excuse for failing schools, failing infrastructure, unfunded pensions, the highest taxes in the nation, and sanctuary policies. Those are the results of extreme mismanagement of tax payer dollars and special interests.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Extreme homelessness exists in a number of states including: Massachusetts, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, Illinois, Florida, Washington, D.C., Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Nevada. New York City has the nation’s highest % of population to homeless, L.A. is second, Seattle is third, ... Honolulu and Wash. D.C. are out of control as well. Boston, Chicago ...

California hasn’t done what it needs to about sheltering ... but that is also true of Hawaii and Seattle in particular.

Yet, to say politicians haven’t done anything is just false. This is a monumental problem across the nation and around the globe. And growing each day with increasing wealth inequalities. Under all kinds of different governments.
Oh good. Other states also have a problem. I'm glad you cleared that up. That'll make me feel better the next time I have to walk around dirty needles and passed out drug addicts when I'm in downtown LA with my children.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Oh good. Other states also have a problem. I'm glad you cleared that up. That'll make me feel better the next time I have to walk around dirty needles and passed out drug addicts when I'm in downtown LA with my children.
I’m not in the slightest concerned with how you feel. I am simply setting the factual record straight. Kvetch and moan through your days all you want. *shrug*

Passed out drug addicts and needles on city streets / parks are everywhere and a damn problem. They are, however, not unique to California cities ... which is what you made your post about.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's good. California is only number 3 in the nation. I'm so glad you cleared that up.

Having a high population is not an excuse for failing schools, failing infrastructure, unfunded pensions, the highest taxes in the nation, and sanctuary policies. Those are the results of extreme mismanagement of tax payer dollars and special interests.
Failing schools are happening lots of places besides California. Again, I don’t care how you feel about it.

Failing infrastructure is a 50-state problem.

Unfunded pensions? You need to look up the ratios state by state. We’re middle of the pack ... with one real important distinction: California is the nation’s - by far - number one economy. Unfunded risk is relative to not only common practice elsewhere ... but also to economic means to meet the obligations through revenue generation. Can’t think of another state as well positioned to stay on track and make corrections as necessary given the extraordinary GDP machine. ... But go ahead and wave your arms angrily while you spew.

We do not have the nation’s highest taxes, either. High, but not highest. And if you mean state income tax, we are tiered so that the low earners and middle pay moderate rates comparative to other states. Look up brackets for yourself.

Sanctuary policies?
Quote:
estimated in 2018 that more than 500 U.S. jurisdictions, including states and municipalities, had adopted sanctuary policies.[2]
... Pennsylvania, for one random example, has 18 sanctuary status jurisdictions. The nation’s police chiefs support them by majority.

So my point isn’t to say these issues are not crappy realities ... nor that we shouldn’t concern ourselves with them.

My point is: your attempt to portray California as somehow a ‘librul failure’ loaded with these ‘unique problems’ is, well, not well founded.

Have a nice day.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I’m not in the slightest concerned with how you feel. I am simply setting the factual record straight. Kvetch and moan through your days all you want. *shrug*

Passed out drug addicts and needles on city streets / parks are everywhere and a damn problem. They are, however, not unique to California cities ... which is what you made your post about.
So because it's a problem elsewhere it's ok?

It's a problem in California. A major problem. It got so bad at my office in San Diego that we couldn't even go outside and walk around because they took up the entire sidewalk. And they were there for the entire 4.5 years I was there. The Anaheim riverbed looked like a 3rd world country when I used to go to Angeles games. They cleared thousands of pounds of human waste and 14,000 plus needles.

A hepatitis A outbreak happened in San Diego that was one of the nation's largest in decades. I don't think large scale hep A outbreaks are a common occurrence. BTW, if you don't know, Hep A is caused from human's coming in contact with fecal matter and living like a farm animal.

And no, mass Hep A outbreaks and 14K needles spread all over the place does not happen everywhere like you claim.

Last edited by Pyramidsurf; 11-06-2018 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-06-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
So because it's a problem elsewhere it's ok?

It's a problem in California. A major problem. It got so bad at my office in San Diego that we couldn't even go outside and walk around because they took up the entire sidewalk. And they were there for the entire 4.5 years I was there. The Anaheim riverbed looked like a 3rd world country when I used to go to Angeles games. They cleared thousands of pounds of human waste and 14,000 plus needles.

A hepatitis A outbreak happened in San Diego that was one of the nation's largest in decades. I don't think large scale hep A outbreaks are a common occurrence. BTW, if you don't know, Hep A is caused from human's coming in contact with fecal matter and living like a farm animal.

And no, mass Hep A outbreaks and 14K needles spread all over the place does not happen everywhere like you claim.
Didn’t say any of your list was “ok”, did I? In fact I specifically said none of it is okay.

What I said, which is factually accurate, is: none of your list is unique to California.

I also live in San Diego. In the Point Loma / airport / Arena district. One of the worst areas for homelessness. I rub shoulders with them daily.

I also was hospitalized for months during one of my tours of duty in Vietnam ... for hepatitis ... I am fully aware of the nature of hepatitis.

The fact that an outbreak occurred in San Diego doesn’t make San Diego or California unique ... as you say, these outbreaks are quite rare. If they weren’t rare, and/or if California was uniquely at risk, they would happen with frequency in San Francisco, L.A. and repeatedly in San Diego. They don’t.

Needles? I can post links for staggering numbers of needles discarded in cities around the world, let alone elsewhere in our nation. One such example, Vancouver, B.C., Canada:
Quote:
Vancouver’s opioid crisis can be measured in discarded needles
B.C.’s illicit-drug users are going through 15 million needles a year, and a lot wind up in alleys, parks and playgrounds. We followed the guy who picks them up.
If you’d like, I can also link you to the statistics on how many cases of hepatitis and HIV/AIDS have been contracted by accidental puncture by randomly discarded needles ... quick answer: almost zero. A handful of Hep cases, all treated successfully. It’s nasty. It needs to be dealt with ... everywhere.

California is not unique, in spite of your uninformed opinions.

I have worked with veterans at risk with homelessness, substance abuse problems, PTSD, suicide counseling, and VA health care enrollment for over 25 years. You are barking in my yard, so to speak. I know this topic in very great detail. Happy to educate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California