Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 06:52 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Newsom spoke quite a bit about being open borders / illegal alien friendly as something that makes CA unique and special .
Can you provide me with a source for that because I've never heard him say that and I can't find any record of it. The closest I can come is an accusation by Trump with no reference or time frame in which he supposedly called for "open borders"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 07:22 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Things would of been much better with Prop 187
Now, jm, I didn't realize that you were against the Constitution.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:15 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Newsom spoke quite a bit about being open borders / illegal alien friendly as something that makes CA unique and special .

But I’ve never heard a great argument about why a big amount of illegal aliens is good for the average legal Californian . And never a word about how expensive it is to support the citizens and children of Mexico and other countries.
It costs many many billions.

They don’t file taxes , and they send many billions back home taking it out of the U.S economy . I see the play for the politicians ... but what about average Californians?
It's certainly a bizarre cognitive dissonance, isn't it? I honestly believe a lot of it is rooted in infantilism and a lack of emotional maturity. In their minds, people get this definitive "good vs. evil" narrative, but then you bring up all those points and the fact that illegal immigration has a regressive cost that affects Black and Latino Americans (which is why Caesar Chavez took his men down to the border and used physical violence against illegal aliens -- the real Caesar Chavez was more like a mafia don than a civil rights activist) more than wealthy White Americans so it's actually an act of White Supremacy to import impoverished workers who undercut Black and Latino Americans, and a lot of people seem to just do the NPC meme thing because there's no logical counterpoint to make.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:59 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
It's certainly a bizarre cognitive dissonance, isn't it? I honestly believe a lot of it is rooted in infantilism and a lack of emotional maturity. In their minds, people get this definitive "good vs. evil" narrative, but then you bring up all those points and the fact that illegal immigration has a regressive cost that affects Black and Latino Americans (which is why Caesar Chavez took his men down to the border and used physical violence against illegal aliens -- the real Caesar Chavez was more like a mafia don than a civil rights activist) more than wealthy White Americans so it's actually an act of White Supremacy to import impoverished workers who undercut Black and Latino Americans, and a lot of people seem to just do the NPC meme thing because there's no logical counterpoint to make.
Reading Chump supporters call others infantile is hilarious. Not sure it’s possible to showcase a “lack of emotional maturity” more distinctly than pointing to the guy you voted for.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:32 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Reading Chump supporters call others infantile is hilarious. Not sure it’s possible to showcase a “lack of emotional maturity” more distinctly than pointing to the guy you voted for.
But alas you are not disagreeing with the point of my post, which I'll take to mean you agree with me in that a rational argument cannot be made to continuously allow the population of this state to swell, without there being extremely negative consequences for a great deal of people, particularly a disproportionately high number of Black and Latino citizens who were here before the Hart-Celler Act.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:44 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Can you provide me with a source for that because I've never heard him say that and I can't find any record of it. The closest I can come is an accusation by Trump with no reference or time frame in which he supposedly called for "open borders"
I was talking about his victory speech last night . Did you listen to it ?

Old 11-07-2018, 10:46 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
But alas you are not disagreeing with the point of my post, which I'll take to mean you agree with me in that a rational argument cannot be made to continuously allow the population of this state to swell, without there being extremely negative consequences for a great deal of people, particularly a disproportionately high number of Black and Latino citizens who were here before the Hart-Celler Act.
Well, I do agree that California suffers as a result of population growth. Greviously bad. But then, I think that is true of the entire nation and planet. When I rail against illegal aliens, you need to understand how anti-alien to me is a Star Wars conflict. I have nothing against little green men with enlarged probiscuses and three arms ... as long as they stay on Mars ... or Venus ... or one o’ them other planets!

Old 11-07-2018, 11:22 PM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
... as long as they stay on Mars ... or Venus ... or one o’ them other planets!
Not in my backyard!
I couldn't resist.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:02 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Now, jm, I didn't realize that you were against the Constitution.
The content of the prop was not the issue, it passed with overwhelming support. They should make prop 187 as a federal law.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:07 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
The content of the prop was not the issue, it passed with overwhelming support. They should make prop 187 as a federal law.
Read up on Prop 187.

A U.S. District Court judge has declared most of California's Proposition 187 unconstitutional.

Approved by voters in 1994, the proposition would have denied health care, education and welfare benefits to illegal immigrants. Almost immediately, Judge Mariana Pfaelzer granted its opponents' request for a restraining order, which prevented it from taking effect.

In her final ruling, Pfaelzer rejected California's attempt to regulate immigration, which she said is the federal government's responsibility.

Judge Pfaelzer's ruling strikes down portions of the initiative that would have required law enforcement, teachers, social service and health care workers to verify a person's immigration status. Under Proposition 187, they would have had to report illegals to authorities and to deny them social service, health care and education benefits.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/03/19/prop.187/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California