Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:53 PM

31 posts, read 126,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4niadreamin View Post
I am a 18 year old living in New York that after graduation wants to move to to California. I only make $840/mo what do you suggest?

hMmm...maybe we should find each other cuz we're B0TH looking for the same things making about the same amount a month! =0]

do you have any $$$ saved up?! thats what im doing, saving enough for 6 months with my rent being at the most $900 bcuz Cali is soooo expensive! during those 6 months i SH0ULD have a second job or something should've come together...and with cost of living being higher there you get paid more, i work for the Abercrombie & Fitch company in illinois-- here its $7.25 or so and in Cali its about $8.00 sooo ill make a bit more depending on the hours!

goodluck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,079 times
NEVER let anyone tell you that you cant do it! Anything is possible if you want it bad enough, so the question really is..how bad do you want it? You may have to "think outside the box"
Einstien said.. "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" & "Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them"

Dont ask permission to do something..Dont look for agreement to do something.. Dont let others determine if its ok to do something.. Just DO.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4niadreamin View Post
I am a 18 year old living in New York that after graduation wants to move to to California. I only make $840/mo what do you suggest?

I too want to move to California this summer, I have money saved and plan on driving cross country from Boston. I know people want to be downers and saying how expensive it is, but EVERYWHERE is expensive, and i'd rather be a broke beach bum

Daizy ~ 25 ~ Boston

Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 PM

93 posts, read 318,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
Absolutely.
The notion that you have to be rich in order to live in California is tiresome.
It all depends on what is essential to you and what you're willing to "sacrifice" in order to live in the more expensive parts of California.
And if you're 18 and open (as i certainly was at that age) to living with room mates, you can live anywhere you want to.
And there are plenty of places to live in CA that won't break your bank.
It's so great to hear this opinion. I'm changing careers right now and will be making an entry-level salary, and I might also be a full-time student with a part-time job at some point. I'm moving for access to activities I've never had on the east coast--mountains, beaches, incredible forests, desert--and some sun, adventure, and a change of pace. None of that requires a 3500 sq. ft. house, a Mercedes, or a lavish lifestyle. It doesn't even require cable TV or an iPhone. Even in a dinky apartment in some podunk California town I'll have more than I have where I am now, even if I'm making less. I really believe that.

To the OP: Your life is happening every day. You decide whether to live it or not. Lay careful plans, think things through realistically, and then take a leap of faith. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:09 AM

45 posts, read 192,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
yep. I had nothing. no car, no money, no nothing.
Wow!
I desperately want to move to CA as soon as I can. I'll probably move to Sacramento. I like NorCal and it's affordable.
Unfortunately I don't have any serious cash saved up. I am going to save a up a couple thousand so I can rent an apartment and such.
How were you able to do it with nothing? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:21 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,419,764 times
Would you move to Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina or Rhode Island?

We have a similar level of unemployment here.

Don't move unless you are a bit of a masochist.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:41 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,472,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I moved to CA with nothing, had a minimum wage job, rented a room for 300/mo

It can be done.
I did that, too, but back in the 1970's. I didn't have a car and didn't need one; I could bicycle anywhere I needed to go. I had friends that did the same in the 1980's. It's a different economic landscape out there now, and I don't know if I could do it today.

When we say "it can be done," I have to question exactly what the "it" means. Sustaining yourself on a hand-to-mouth existence that's just one notch above homelessness? Sure. Actually building a life that will result in eventual home ownership and accumulation of basic wealth? That will be more difficult.

Moving to California can be a dream come true or something that sucks all your dreams away. Putting off immediate gratification in order to attain long-term goals is a basic characteristic of emotional intelligence...assuming one has long-term goals in the first place.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:40 AM

426 posts, read 792,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
That comes out to $10080 a year! You wont make it anywhere in CA with less than $50k a year. I assume you have a part time minimum wage job to pay your college tuition. Finish college first and find a high paying job. You may have to consider Texas instead if you want to enjoy homeownership and not rent a studio for life in CA.
Not necessarily true. I make $40,000 a year. I can make it. I have roommates. You just learn to spend money on what you can afford. But I do agree that making $10,000 will not cut it. You would need one full time job and a part time job earning min wage here. (I'm in San Diego).

Old 05-29-2009, 04:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
How did this thread re-surface? it is almost 3 years old, if OP did move to CA he is either enjoying his new found life, is dead or has headed back to mommy and daddy by now.

Nita

Old 05-30-2009, 01:29 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,353,132 times
I did it too. I came to SD with $300, rented a room, and worked as a low paid security officer, moving from company to company to get menial raises, until I could go back toto working in an office again. It can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California