Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 01:40 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Someday, I plan to take a drive up to Bakersfield (I don't refer to it as "Bako" as I'm not a Central Valley native ) and other areas of the Central Valley. One area of the Central Valley that I'm pretty interested in exploring is Redding and the surrounding areas (Redding Metro Area). A couple of others are the Red Bluff area (Red Bluff Micropolitan Area) and the Chico/Oroville area (Chico Metro Area, Butte County). I honestly don't mind the heat that much as I am a born-and-raised native of a baking hot area of CA.
IMO, Redding is the best city to live in (except Sacramento), you are a hour drive from Lake Shasta. Beautiful forested areas are a short drive outside of Redding. Lassen NP is a hour or two east of Redding. Redding is not flat like the rest of the cities in the Central Valley. It’s actually in the mild foothills of the southern edge of the Cascade Range.

To me, the northern edge of the Central Valley is south of Redding and north of Red Bluff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 01:48 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,129,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
You have more dope addicts in Cathedral City (Coachella Valley) than anywhere else in the state. Palm Springs is nice, but the surrounding towns in the Coachella Valley are filled of welfare cases, illegals and tweekers
Not Rancho Mirage or Indian Wells. They're really nice, too. So are Palm Desert and La Quinta. All of the nine desert cities boast its nice and safe areas. Yes, even Cat City, DHS, and Coachella, too. We don't have as many dope addicts, gang members, welfare cases, illegals, and/or tweakers as say the LA Metro due to the CV's smaller population. But, yes, we still do have them all out here, just like anywhere else. So, the CV is no different in this case. Personally, I think the highest amount of dope addicts you speak of are concentrated in DHS and surrounding rural areas such as Sky Valley and Indio Hills.

As for Cat City, personally, I don't think it's even that bad. I grew up there, and it's actually quite nice! Definitely more of a hit than miss out there. Other surrounding suburbs such as Thousand Palms, Indio, and Coachella aren't all that bad either.

Where exactly did you get that info from? I'm curious...

Also, if you don't mind me asking another question, where did you grow up?

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 03-06-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 04:05 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,457 times
Quote:
Not Rancho Mirage or Indian Wells. They're really nice, too. So are Palm Desert and La Quinta. All of the nine desert cities boast its nice and safe areas. Yes, even Cat City, DHS, and Coachella, too. We don't have as many dope addicts, gang members, welfare cases, illegals, and/or tweakers as say the LA Metro due to the CV's smaller population. But, yes, we still do have them all out here, just like anywhere else. So, the CV is no different in this case. Personally, I think the highest amount of dope addicts you speak of are concentrated in DHS and surrounding rural areas such as Sky Valley and Indio Hills.

As for Cat City, personally, I don't think it's even that bad. I grew up there, and it's actually quite nice! Definitely more of a hit than miss out there. Other surrounding suburbs such as Thousand Palms, Indio, and Coachella aren't all that bad either.

Leave it to you to turn a Bakersfield post into one about the Coachella Valley....

Old 03-06-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Leave it to you to turn a Bakersfield post into one about the Coachella Valley....
Alright, I'll kindly shut up. And, agreed, back to the topic.

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 03-06-2018 at 05:05 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:

My uncle lived down there for 15 years. From 1994 through 2009. Most of my intel was from his first hand experience. Maybe I was being a bit drastic, but there is no doubt that many cities in Eastern Riverside County have a lot of meth heads.

I grew up in Daly City,CA

Old 03-06-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
My uncle lived down there for 15 years. From 1994 through 2009. Most of my intel was from his first hand experience. Maybe I was being a bit drastic, but there is no doubt that many cities in Eastern Riverside County have a lot of meth heads.

I grew up in Daly City,CA
Oh, okay. That explains it.

As for a lot of meth heads in Eastern Riverside County, yes, of course it's definitely out here, and, as I said, just like anywhere else.

I just searched up some images on Daly City, and honestly, it looks pretty darn nice (probably somewhat nicer than my hometown of Indio )!

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 03-06-2018 at 05:35 PM..

Old 03-10-2018, 01:24 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the upscale neighborhoods in and around Bakersfield tend to feature larger, greener lots and deeper frontage than what it is customary in California subdivisions. Taking that into consideration along with a similar built environment and scenery to places such as north Orange County and the San Fernando Valley as well as significantly less traffic and lower housing costs, I think you're actually coming out ahead in Bakersfield.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Oh, okay. That explains it.

As for a lot of meth heads in Eastern Riverside County, yes, of course it's definitely out here, and, as I said, just like anywhere else.

I just searched up some images on Daly City, and honestly, it looks pretty darn nice (probably somewhat nicer than my hometown of Indio )!
I love the desert very much. It’s awesome to just wear a t-shirt out at night and still be comfortable. Daly City is cool that you are a stones throw from San Francisco, but being in the upper 50’s to low 60’s in the summer with grey skies sucks!

Old 03-11-2018, 09:38 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
If you made it in Detroit, you can make it anywhere.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:50 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Quote:
I love the desert very much. It’s awesome to just wear a t-shirt out at night and still be comfortable. Daly City is cool that you are a stones throw from San Francisco, but being in the upper 50’s to low 60’s in the summer with grey skies sucks!
I spent a year and a half in Bakersfield and when I first arrived in January from Minnesota, it was 60° and everyone was wearing winter coats. I was walking around in a T-shirt.

I graduated from Highland High and if anyone gets a chance to look at it now, it used to be the end of the road. Literally. Besides the oil derricks and a house or two (Merle Haggard lived out there then), there was nothing beyond that. We used to ride horses all over the place there and out to the edges of the bluffs overlooking Hart Park. I remember a shepherd grazing his sheep behind the high school in the mornings. They took off when the janitor raised the flag.

If you're not sure about Bakersfield, maybe going just a little further to Lake Isabella might be more to your taste. That's up in the hills and really pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California