Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:40 PM

626 posts, read 626,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No, your renters don't pay your taxes. You do. And your profit is offset by them.

And your property taxes can go up and up forever, with no security there.

And you, admittedly, pay high income taxes. And sales tax.

You should research the history of Prop 13, and how people in CA had to sell their free and clear homes because they couldn't pay their taxes, because of how high their properties ended up being assessed - before it was passed. You can own a home free and clear, but end up unable to afford the taxes. So, where's the retirement plan in that? Where's the idea that once you pay off a mortgage, you can live an easier, more affordable life?

So, it's obviously not Shangri-La in NC. Really, if you loved it so much, seems to me you wouldn't be focusing on hating CA and haunting forums every day. Why aren't you out and about enjoying your new fantastic state? With all of that extra money in your pockets?

At any rate, once again, when put to the litmus test, Shangri-La (aka somewhere better than CA and all it's supposedly horrible taxes) always has a way to pay for everything worth having - with taxes.
Sorry but NC is more fiscally sound than CA is at this point in time. My renters DO pay the property taxes thank you. The money they give me every month goes to an account that I touch if I need to for repairs, and at the end of the year I pay for the property taxes out of that account. So technically it doesn't touch my pocket at all.

Yes I did admit NC has high income tax for the South, but in comparison to CA it is rather small. Sales tax is 6.75% in Guilford County NC, while here in LA County it is 9.5%. So how is NC's sales tax high?

We don't have to worry about something like Prop 13 because the state is ok and usually stays within the budget. All the while CA can't spend the money fast enough that they take in from all of the many taxes they get you for, not to mention the new ones that come every year.

I never said it was Shangri-La there in NC, but is better for my family there in NC than here in LA County. I haunt and focus on the CA forums because I LIVE IN CA RIGHT NOW. I am actually leaving Pasadena and California on Monday thank you. The car shippers is coming tomorrow to get my car, and the movers come on Saturday.

I am sorry that love the many taxes that the Assembly just keeps piling on the middle class all the trying to fund various pet projects that think is important. I think I might be 50 years old before the bullet train is completed.

Last edited by cyberfx1024; 12-13-2017 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 11:44 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
No, your renters don't pay your taxes. You do. And your profit is offset by them.

You should research the history of Prop 13, and how people in CA had to sell their free and clear homes because they couldn't pay their taxes, because of how high their properties ended up being assessed - before it was passed. You can own a home free and clear, but end up unable to afford the taxes. So, where's the retirement plan in that? Where's the idea that once you pay off a mortgage, you can live an easier, more affordable life?

So, it's obviously not Shangri-La in NC. Really, if you loved it so much, seems to me you wouldn't be focusing on hating CA and haunting forums every day. Why aren't you out and about enjoying your new fantastic state? With all of that extra money in your pockets?

At any rate, once again, when put to the litmus test, Shangri-La (aka somewhere better than CA and all it's supposedly horrible taxes) always has a way to pay for everything worth having - with taxes.

Re the bolded, If you felt truly secure about California and how it is governed, you wouldn't care about/be sensitive re anyone else's opinion of California, nor how those other people choose to express their opinions.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:39 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
Yes I did admit NC has high income tax for the South, but in comparison to CA it is rather small. Sales tax is 6.75% in Guilford County NC, while here in LA County it is 9.5%. So how is NC's sales tax high?
I like North Carolina, it's a lovely state and I'm not trying to start a NC bash fest, but North Carolina has a very regressive income tax scheme which disproportionately impacts the middle class. It is a flat 5.75% on the first dollar of income. I checked California vs North Carolina income tax for three different incomes:
$50,000 California $1740 North Carolina $2435
$75,000 California $3872 North Carolina $3903
$100,000 California $6288 North Carolina $5310
https://smartasset.com/taxes/income-taxes

Old 12-14-2017, 07:53 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Seriously go back and try to read some of my posts, if you did that then you would understand that I am born and raised in the South, NC in all actuality. My family has lived in the South since before there was even a USA. So you TRYING to tell me how it is in the South is laughable at best. I don't know where in TN you went to but you were probably a dick and that's why people didn't like you. The majority of regular Southerners will treat you the same as you treat them. So if you treat them with disrespect then they will disrespect you in turn. People say "Bless your heart" because they don't want to be an ******* to you so they would rather speak something nice. Just like I how I was brought up "if you can't say something nice, then don't say nothing at all". But if you spite a Southerner then we will spite you back just because.

I have grown up with guns as well and I love having one around in all honesty. The very first gun I bought was when I was 17. I sold my 78 Ford Thunderbird for $600 and single shot breech load 12 gauge shotgun. I also have a pretty large family and I want to be able to protect them wherever we go.But according to LA County "personal and family protection" is not a valid reason to get a CCW. I never said that was the sole reason for leaving CA at all, it is just one of many reasons to leave this state.

I work in Pasadena, so if I want to move to a "affordable house" to fit 4 kids in then I would have to move to either Palmdale or Glendora. Which as of right now they both would require an hour commute each way EVERY DAY to get to and from work. Yes, I have 4 kids with my wife and myself. I also clear over $100k so I need at least 3 bed room house.
Seriously,

I've never been around nicer people than the South in general. If you are in say, a walmart, it's like these people are all your friends how they talk to you. Same in the restaurants and hotels. So open and friendly.

People will actually stop and check on you if you are on the side of the road with flashers on.

We will be able to rent our place here for so much we will be able to buy another one in NC. Won't have to ever work again either unless we just want some extra spending cash.

Even the homeless are polite

Old 12-14-2017, 08:08 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I like North Carolina, it's a lovely state and I'm not trying to start a NC bash fest, but North Carolina has a very regressive income tax scheme which disproportionately impacts the middle class. It is a flat 5.75% on the first dollar of income. I checked California vs North Carolina income tax for three different incomes:
Just the savings on gas per week just about covers the difference. Currently it is about $0.80 cheaper (Using Charlotte VS LA)in NC. So at 20 gallons of gas you save $16.00 per car. If you have one car that is over $800.00 a year. Thus if you make $50,000 a CA resident pays at least $2540 which is more than in NC when you count the gas cost.

If you make $75,000.00 a CA resident pays $4600.00 which is more than in NC when you count the gas cost.

If you make $100,000.00 the difference is already way better than in CA.

Then the sales tax is higher in CA so it costs even more in CA and housing is so much cheaper (Even though going up due to people moving into NC) in NC that a person saves even more. Then count in car registration and the difference climbs even more.

The taxes in NC do not disproportionately impact the middle class in NC, but they do in CA.

I have lived in SoCal and NC (Outer Banks) and do prefer CA in most ways, but I can easily see why more people move to NC than out and more people move out of CA than move in.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Seriously,

I've never been around nicer people than the South in general. If you are in say, a walmart, it's like these people are all your friends how they talk to you. Same in the restaurants and hotels. So open and friendly.

People will actually stop and check on you if you are on the side of the road with flashers on.

We will be able to rent our place here for so much we will be able to buy another one in NC. Won't have to ever work again either unless we just want some extra spending cash.

Even the homeless are polite
Are you getting ready to move?

Old 12-14-2017, 08:37 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Are you getting ready to move?
As soon as I get the green light from Mrs. 1ATP yep. Already have a 3 br on a lake with it's own dock for 125K waiting for me.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:38 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:

Prop 13 is great for people who bought long ago. New buyers....not so much

Don't think of it as bashing Ca think of it as warning and advising those that will not see

People have a easier time paying taxes when they see their taxes at work. Not having to off road it on their way to work and watching them pour money into some train to nowhere would be a great start.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So basically at my bracket of taxable income then it is wash tax wise. This is not counting the fact that almost everything else tax wise is cheaper there than it is in CA. So I will be gaining regardless.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Prop 13 is great for people who bought long ago. New buyers....not so much

Don't think of it as bashing Ca think of it as warning and advising those that will not see

People have a easier time paying taxes when they see their taxes at work. Not having to off road it on their way to work and watching them pour money into some train to nowhere would be a great start.
You are correct and I have said repeatedly on here that "I would have no problem paying the gas tax if it actually went to the roads". But as you know in CA maybe 20% if that will go to the roads and the rest will go either to the struggling pension funds or stupid pet projects that have nothing to do with the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California