Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:00 AM

626 posts, read 627,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
They crazy thing is, as nutty as Jerry Brown is, he's actually more rational and fiscally conservative than some other dems. He is at least suggesting that they keep some of that money for a rainy day fund, instead of spending it all at once. God help you if they elect Gavin Newsom next...
I tried to explain to someone the exact same thing because he was talking about he hopes Feinstein gets voted out of office, he was then amazed because I said I hope not. I then preceded to tell him about Sen de Leon or just Leon like his real name is, how he is far worse than she could ever be. He looked him up on my advice and agreed with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 AM

3,107 posts, read 1,764,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
I tried to explain to someone the exact same thing because he was talking about he hopes Feinstein gets voted out of office, he was then amazed because I said I hope not. I then preceded to tell him about Sen de Leon or just Leon like his real name is, how he is far worse than she could ever be. He looked him up on my advice and agreed with me.
OMG you are so right. That guy would be a nightmare, and unfortunately, I think you're headed that way..

Old 12-08-2017, 03:45 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,293,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Gas Tax? Who noticed? When gas is over $3 a gallon and fluctuates as much as it does, who notices a 12 cent increase in the gas tax.
This is not an excuse for expect politicians to know how to balance budgets.

By the way I think it's funny that J Brown is now suggesting that pensions should be reworked, of course after calling the people free loaders and forcing the gas tax. Too little too late.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:39 PM

296 posts, read 232,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
There is no guarantee that the money will be spent on roads. Your money will go to support public employee pensions and Browns train to nowhere that no one will ride.
I agree. Californians have been paying a gas tax for many years. Now another one? The roads are in and have been in terrible condition for years, don't expect to see improvement.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:59 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,195,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire1 View Post
I agree. Californians have been paying a gas tax for many years. Now another one? The roads are in and have been in terrible condition for years, don't expect to see improvement.

All the road money went everywhere but the roads. LA roads got so bad they literally swallowed a car last winter. The politicians went ohhh sheet :shocked. So they got this gas tax together and rammed it through without daring to give us a vote on it because there was literally no money for roads fwys dams bridges. So now we have a new tax and some of it will go to roads etc but it won't be near enough to fix our crumbling infrastructure. And the previous gas tax will still all go to pensions etc. That's how I see what's going on and we're still screwed

Old 12-08-2017, 10:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,575,158 times
One of the things I love about California, is the benefits we enjoy here. They are not free. So, I'm happy to pay my part, in higher gas taxes or sales taxes, etc., even as a low income senior - because I personally reap benefits from the increased taxes.

I've lived in other states and countries, and there is little to show for taxes you pay there.

But, in my experience, CA does a good job of managing the taxes the state receives. So, I'm happy to pay my fair share, because I also benefit.

Roads don't fix themselves.

And, I was talking with a young woman today about how when I was a kid in CA, in the 1960's to 1970's, you couldn't see the hills around the bay area, because of how bad the smog was. And today, even though there's WAY more traffic, the air is so much cleaner, that you can see the hills. That was our more stringent air quality control laws, and smog controls, etc., that accomplished that. And it worked.

So, nope. I have no problem paying higher taxes. It's my fair share. And if the taxes aren't collected, then things don't get fixed. If you want things fixed, you have to help pay to fix them.

It's simple, really. And, when you see how well the funds are used, it's a no-brainer. Like I said, if you've lived anywhere where funds are not used wisely, or there is corruption, etc., you'd know the difference, and that the benefits in CA reaped from the taxes collected here are really worth it.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:31 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,293,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
One of the things I love about California, is the benefits we enjoy here. They are not free. So, I'm happy to pay my part, in higher gas taxes or sales taxes, etc., even as a low income senior - because I personally reap benefits from the increased taxes.

I've lived in other states and countries, and there is little to show for taxes you pay there.

But, in my experience, CA does a good job of managing the taxes the state receives. So, I'm happy to pay my fair share, because I also benefit.

And, I was talking with a young woman today about how when I was a kid in CA, in the 1960's to 1970's, you couldn't see the hills around the bay area, because of how bad the smog was. And today, even though there's WAY more traffic, the air is so much cleaner, that you can see the hills. That was our more stringent air quality control laws, and smog controls, etc., that accomplished that. And it worked.

So, nope. I have no problem paying higher taxes. It's my fair share. And if the taxes aren't collected, then things don't get fixed. If you want things fixed, you have to help pay to fix them.

It's simple, really. And, when you see how well the funds are used, it's a no-brainer. Like I said, if you've lived anywhere where funds are not used wisely, or there is corruption, etc., you'd know the difference, and that the benefits in CA reaped from the taxes collected here are really worth it.
Thank you for your input. Can you quantify how CA has been doing a good job of managing taxes? How about your fair share as a low income senior? Thanks, looking forward to your detailed analysis.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:11 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,777,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I think you had one too many sir or going senile.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:40 PM

50,478 posts, read 47,219,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Hell no I don’t want the gas tax! Prior to this gas tax increase, CA already was in the top 5 in the nation with one of the highest gas tax rate, and yet our infrastructure has gotten worse. I never notice any benefits when local cities or the state raises taxes on anything.

Just like how increasing the sales tax is SUPPOSED to go towards hiring more cops and firefighters, including fixing roads that need work. Well in my city i haven’t seen jack **** being done to make things better.

All this extra money is going to pay for fat pensions of the CA public employees, nothing more. CA with being one of the wealthiest states in the nation, has one of the worst upkept streets and freeways in the nation. How is this allowed to happen? Obviously higher taxes isn’t working since personally I haven’t witnessed the positives of higher taxes when it comes to our infrastructure.

Also, the higher gas tax and higher vehicle registration fees hits the poor the hardest. The Democrats in this case has turned a blind eye on the very people that supported them.

CA keeps trying to find new ways to raise more and more taxes on our already heavily taxed citizens that it’s almost diabolic sadly to say as the intentions of politicians is to fatten their pockets and it’s donors.

I believe the diesel tax went up 20 cents, this is a punishment on the transportation industry, as it has an ill effect on prices on goods and services. Another negative aspect of the tax.

Not letting the people vote on this matter was also extremely wrong. But state leaders know that this gas tax wouldn’t have had a chance of passing if they allowed Californians to vote on it so they bypassed us and took upon themselves, which is corrupt and devious on so many levels. Something like this should have been put to a statewide vote especially knowing the negative consequences it will have the economy and the poor.

Higher taxes is somewhat a sneaky way of telling people “if you don’t like it, then leave”! CA is seriously overpopulated and needs less people living here, all I know is I’m soon going to be a former CA resident as I’m sick n tired of this states policy’s and how insanely expensive it’s becoming. This new gas tax and increase in registration fees was the last straw for me. My concern is “what’s next?” What does the state have up its sleeve to deceive us? I don’t want to be here to find out.
Did you see this one?

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...451497603.html

Old 12-09-2017, 01:35 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,777,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well finally, it’s taken years for the city to do something to address its police shortage, but at the same time compensations are going up pretty high, and I wonder how this will be all paid for and continue to stay that way without increasing taxes on San Diegans in the coming years.

Raises of 30% is insane! most private companies don’t give even half of that to offset the increase of yearly inflation, not even close.

This is why public/government jobs are so cush in CA as the compensation and pension benefits are unbeatable vs the private sector. As long as the high taxes keep on rolling, nothing will ever change.

But this topic is in regards to the gas tax, and as we all know higher taxes doesn’t automatically mean better government services nor promises that projects will be finished on time or anything being done at all for that matter. CA is the land of failed promises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California