Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:33 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,730,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Inland Bay Area gets very hot. I didn't read anything about Pacifica...
Pacifica is magical place with mild temperature and little to no irritating sunlight. It's heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 02:17 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,664,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes the majority of residents in CA are now Hispanic not "white".
You're wrong: The majority of residents in California are NOT Hispanic/Latino.

Again, let's turn to actual data.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in 2016, 38.9% of California residents are Hispanic/Latino.

38.9% out of 100% is not a majority of the population.

It might also interest some to know that the U.S. Census Bureau and many other intelligent folks actually consider Hispanic/Latinos to be WHITE.

The Census Bureau breaks down the WHITE population into White, non Hispanic and White, Hispanic/Latino.

So, here are the full Census Bureau demographic statistics (again 2016 numbers) for California:

White alone: 72.7%
Black/African American alone 6.5%
Asian alone, 14.8%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, .5%
Two or more races: 3.8%

Of Whites:
White alone, not Hispanic or Latino 37.7%
White, Hispanic or Latino: 38.9%

So, while it is correct to say that the largest ethnic population in California as of 2016 is WHITE-Hispanic/Latino, it is NOT correct to say that Hispanics are "the majority of residents."

Link to the Census Bureau 2016 California Demographics: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...645215#viewtop

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-15-2017 at 02:51 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 02:33 PM

782 posts, read 761,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I have noticed as this as well. People come from other states, they have job offers and that dream of living it big in CA. Give them a year or two until they're complaining about the high COL. This is purely anecdotal of course.
I moved here from South Florida, my expenses went down and my salary went up big time. Only killer here for me is the cost of housing, everything else is around the same or substantially less like cost of insurance vs. South Florida. Job market for my field in Florida was stagnant with no growth or opportunity salaries were low based on the high COL, SoCal appeals to people in my field but once it becomes Bay Area COL it will start to falter. I have no desire to "living it big", I see people here who are and work with many who are doing quite well for themselves, $1MIL house, 2 to 4 kids, wife doesn't work or works and multiple new high priced cars, vacations abroad and etc.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:40 PM

Also, before anyone says something stupid like 38% of California residents are here illegally, let's add in a couple more facts.

According to the Census Bureau, in 2016, California had a population of 39,250, 017.

So, for those of you bad at math, 38.9% of 39,250,017 people is about 15,268,256 million White-Hispanics living in California.

The Pew Institute estimates that California has approximately 2.3 million residents who are living here illegally.

Of course, not all illegals are Hispanic/Latino or from Mexico. Pew estimates that about 30% of illegal aliens in California are not.

So, roughly 1,610,000 (70%) of illegal aliens in California are Mexicans.

Obviously, not all of California's White-Hispanic/Latino population are of Mexican descent.

But, let's run with it and do the math.

1610000/15268256=90%

Now, 90% really is a MAJORITY of 100%. The percentage is probably a little off because again, we know that not all White/Hispanic/Latinos are from Mexico (at least *most* people know this).

But still it is correct to say that the vast majority of the White-Hispanic/Latino population living in California have just as much right to live in California as any other population group.

So, let's cut out the B.S. comments implying (either directly or indirectly) that California's Hispanic/Latino population is somehow "ruining" California because they're all illegal aliens.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-15-2017 at 02:50 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 02:40 PM

782 posts, read 761,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Anyone who wasn't here prior to the late 1970s has no frame of reference of how good California used to be. Everything from schools to roads to heath care was better funded and the were among the best in the country. Plus the economy was more robust and diversified (vastly more high value manufacturing) with much more reasonable home prices that any family with an average income could afford. Not to mention that with 15 to 20 million less people it had more natural open spaces and ag land plus less demand for resources.

Call me Clint Eastwood saying "get off my lawn", but The Hart Celler Act of 1965 + a porous southern border the federal government failed at policing + globalization of the economy hasn't done the state any favors. Yes, your personal situation might be great and yes, there is one industry that has done quite well in one geographic location (tech in Santa Clara, San Mateo and San Francisco Counties), but as a whole the state isn't as healthy in many metrics as it used to be.
That applies to the entire US, of all the places i have lived CA being the 4th state, each area I heard the same thing and saw it growing up compared to how it is now.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
That applies to the entire US, of all the places i have lived CA being the 4th state, each area I heard the same thing and saw it growing up compared to how it is now.
Yes. I just was up in Oregon and Washington state and we talked to a lot of locals in both states who told us how great it used to be....

Let's face it: NO place in the world is like it used to be 40, 30, 20, or even 10 years ago.

The entire world is always changing.

You can either go with the flow and decide to be happy, or you can spend your life wishing for a time machine to zip you back to what used to be.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in 2016, 38.9% of California residents are Hispanic/Latino.

It might also interest some to know that the U.S. Census Bureau and many other intelligent folks actually consider Hispanic/Latinos to be WHITE.

The Census Bureau breaks down the WHITE population into White, non Hispanic and White, Hispanic/Latino.

So, here are the full Census Bureau demographic statistics (again 2016 numbers) for California:

Asian alone, 14.8%

Of Whites:

So, while it is correct to say that the largest ethnic population in California as of 2016 is WHITE-Hispanic/Latino, it is NOT correct to say that Hispanics are "the majority of residents."

Link to the Census Bureau 2016 California Demographics: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...645215#viewtop
Hi Rosie, my goof I meant they out number "whites". They are not the majority in CA.

I agree most are white, but politics shifted them into another group.

Now we are told they are a separate group from "whites".

Old 10-15-2017, 05:47 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,159,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Pacifica is magical place with mild temperature and little to no irritating sunlight. It's heaven.
I am not going to disagree although it has many ugly properties. What about the South Bay, is it nice and cool too?

Old 10-15-2017, 05:48 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:
Yes. I just was up in Oregon and Washington state and we talked to a lot of locals in both states who told us how great it used to be....

Let's face it: NO place in the world is like it used to be 40, 30, 20, or even 10 years ago.

The entire world is always changing.

You can either go with the flow and decide to be happy, or you can spend your life wishing for a time machine to zip you back to what used to be.
Or find a place that is similar to what you liked 30 years ago. Won't be the same, but can be similar enough. It just won't be where you grew up. I found such a place.

The only constant is change.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:01 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,264,141 times
Quote:

Asian alone, 14.8%

Of Whites:

White-Hispanic/Latino is something I've always suspected of being a ruse to camouflage demographic displacement.

Light-skinned Latins are culturally distinct from European-descended Americans. And given the propensity within Mexican culture to confer favor and status onto those with lighter skin, I'd be willing to bet that many self-reported "White-Hispanics" within America aren't really that light-skinned or light-featured - they just want to see themselves or be seen in that manner.

Doing some quick math from the above chart, it appears that the vast majority - 90% of hispanics in California are self-reporting themselves as "white". Of the hispanic population, 35% of the population is white-hispanic of out of total of 38.9%.

Last edited by GSR13; 10-15-2017 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California