Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 AM

9 posts, read 51,509 times

Advertisements

We're gonna hit $4.00 a gallon before summer hits here in MI. The grocery bills are terrible everywhere! The town I live in has a motto 'half the pay for a view of the bay'. We live near Lake Michigan, but we only have 12 weekends of summer. Today it is around 40, which makes the dirt come thru the snow piles. Add greyness to that, and it's a depressing view. I love spring here and fall is beautiful, but it's time to move west! Besides, we don't want our kids to move back home, so we're moving quick so they don't come back...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 11,309 times
You should really consider Ripon or Escalon they are both small towns in the county just to the north. San Joaquin county you will be close to modesto for work and be able to leave your garage door open without fear of getting robbed. I would not move to fresno the air there hurts my lungs and it feels soo depressing being in fresno its like nothing but one town that is boring. Modesto is almost like fresno much smaller but you can be in very different scenery in a hours drive.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock209 View Post
You should really consider Ripon or Escalon they are both small towns in the county just to the north. San Joaquin county you will be close to modesto for work and be able to leave your garage door open without fear of getting robbed. I would not move to fresno the air there hurts my lungs and it feels soo depressing being in fresno its like nothing but one town that is boring. Modesto is almost like fresno much smaller but you can be in very different scenery in a hours drive.
You can be in very different scenery 1 hour from fresno, too (toward the mountains).

Old 03-17-2008, 09:06 PM

9 posts, read 51,509 times
Well, it looks like Fresno it is. We will stick near Clovis and rent for the first year or so. job wise, it's the best choice. I hear Woodland park is nice. There's alot we'll miss here, but we'll be able to enjoy the outside and not feel so stuck indoors. Our rollerblades are ready to go! Thanks for the advice everyone.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:12 AM

43 posts, read 209,089 times
Kelly4422,

I am in Modesto, moving from GR MI....I've read alot of negatives on the boards-but I find Modesto very pleasant...I fly back this week to MI to tie up loose ends and then I will be in Modesto for at least a year(or surrounding towns like Riverbank, Ripon, Turlock) we're still looking around-right now we are in temp housing ..feel free to contact me!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley4422 View Post
Well, it looks like Fresno it is. We will stick near Clovis and rent for the first year or so. job wise, it's the best choice. I hear Woodland park is nice. There's alot we'll miss here, but we'll be able to enjoy the outside and not feel so stuck indoors. Our rollerblades are ready to go! Thanks for the advice everyone.
If you like rollerblading and getting outside, look for a place near the Sugarpine Trail. Different parts of the trail might have different names. i'm not sure. But it runs on a former railroad right of way through north Fresno and Clovis.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,266 times
In Clovis there is the Old Town Trail which runs from south of the Sierra Vista Mall to Old Town Clovis (great Friday night farmers market there in summer) then connects north to the Fresno Sugar Pine Trail which goes to Woodward Park. All of it combines for a total of about 14 miles.

Going north from Woodward Park in Fresno there is the Eaton Trail which runs for 5 miles along the San Joaquin River.

Speaking of the river, something different to do is to canoe the San Joaquin River Parkway. The Parkway Trust owns most of the land along the river as a nature preserve. They offer guided canoe tours and canoe rentals. You relax in nature while the city of Fresno is only a few hundred yards away.
San Joaquin River Parkway and Conservation Trust (http://www.riverparkway.org/eduRecCanoeAdv.asp - broken link)

Old 03-18-2008, 08:36 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,448 times
Sounds like Fresno has some neat trails. I have seen snow in the Mountains when I drove thru on 99 but only on clear days. How long of a drive is it to see the snow from Fresno?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,266 times
Depending upon how far the snowline has dropped due to a storm at that time, it takes about 30 to 60 minutes to reach snow.

About once every 10 years we get snow in Fresno/Clovis. Last time was in 1999, we built a small snowman.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,502 times
I Would Also Have To Choose Modesto. Which By The Way Does Happen To Have A Dog Park. I Have Lived Here For Nearly 40 Years And Am Still A Beleiver In This Small Town Gone Big City. Modesto Is A Great Jumping Off Point For Day Trips Heading In All Directions. Sacramento To The North, Fresno And Monterey Are South And South West, East Id SonoraqWith That Ever So Famous Gold Country, And To The West Is Sanf ransisco. Defineately Want To Settle On The East Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California