Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 11:14 AM

911 posts, read 591,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Of course, other factors play a role and I agree with you that emotional eating plays a big part in it. You need to detach yourself from your logical thinking in what you are like or how you think and take a look at the bigger picture.

Certain advertisers pay big money to grocery stores to place their products in specific areas that will been seen first by shoppers. And, up by the checkout, you'll see more junk food next to the magazines. This is to grab the impulse shopper AND stores are paid to do that by the company selling the products.

Television commercials that air during certain parts of the day are gears to their viewing audience. You'll see more sugary cereal commercials on Saturday morning than at any other time of the week. Pizza, burger and ice cream commercials air more in the evening than they do in the the morning or early afternoon.

Looking at the larger picture, you can clearly see how advertisers and food manufacturers work to sell their products and we mere mortals (many of them anyway) don't get it or, as you say, don't value themselves enough or are suffering with self-esteem issues and just let it happen. Sorry but it's not just black and white. There are so many variables as to why people get to the point of obesity. It's not just one thing.
In fact, that is where the bulk of grocery retail profit comes from. They make very little from shelf sales. They score their money from co-op advertising and product placement just as you point out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 11:16 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,996,725 times
Quote:
Of course, other factors play a role and I agree with you that emotional eating plays a big part in it. You need to detach yourself from your logical thinking in what you are like or how you think and take a look at the bigger picture.

Certain advertisers pay big money to grocery stores to place their products in specific areas that will been seen first by shoppers. And, up by the checkout, you'll see more junk food next to the magazines. This is to grab the impulse shopper AND stores are paid to do that by the company selling the products.

Television commercials that air during certain parts of the day are gears to their viewing audience. You'll see more sugary cereal commercials on Saturday morning than at any other time of the week. Pizza, burger and ice cream commercials air more in the evening than they do in the the morning or early afternoon.

Looking at the larger picture, you can clearly see how advertisers and food manufacturers work to sell their products and we mere mortals (many of them anyway) don't get it or, as you say, don't value themselves enough or are suffering with self-esteem issues and just let it happen. Sorry but it's not just black and white. There are so many variables as to why people get to the point of obesity. It's not just one thing.
Sure it's not "one thing" as to why people are fat. I do believe genetics play a part as well.

But your "messaging" argument just falls flat with me. Politicians use the same logic with regard to "violent video games" creating killers or "fashion magazines with revealing clothing" creating rapist.

I simply believe individual choice is FAR more of a factor than external messaging.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:16 AM

19,228 posts, read 16,739,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
In fact, that is where the bulk of grocery retail profit comes from. They make very little from shelf sales. They score their money from co-op advertising and product placement just as you point out.
I did not know that. See? Never too old to learn something new.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Sure it's not "one thing" as to why people are fat. I do believe genetics play a part as well.

But your "messaging" argument just falls flat with me. Politicians use the same logic with regard to "violent video games" creating killers or "fashion magazines with revealing clothing" creating rapist.

I simply believe individual choice is FAR more of a factor than external messaging.
It's okay. You don't have to believe in what I say, that's your choice. I once thought like you, though. Years of observation have shown me otherwise. People are very easily manipulated. Furthermore, they never believe anything bad will happen to them, either. It's always the other guy that bad things will happen to ... until it's not. Ever seen one of those "quit smoking" commercials with the woman hooked up to an oxygen tank or the one with the hole in her throat? They never thought their bad habit would lead to that, either. Yes, people always think it will happen to the other guy/gal.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
It's okay. You don't have to believe in what I say, that's your choice. I once thought like you, though. Years of observation have shown me otherwise. People are very easily manipulated. Furthermore, they never believe anything bad will happen to them, either. It's always the other guy that bad things will happen to ... until it's not. Ever seen one of those "quit smoking" commercials with the woman hooked up to an oxygen tank or the one with the hole in her throat? They never thought their bad habit would lead to that, either. Yes, people always think it will happen to the other guy/gal.
So you're of the belief that in general people are stupid enough to be manipulated by commercials and ads. That's a very dire outlook for the world in general but I do admit it's hard to argue the opposite side.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:56 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:

UH, companies pay billions to try and motivate people to buy their product, come to a resort, take a cruise, etc. They KNOW such alters people choices and behavior. Violence breeds violence as we have seen a HUGE rise in bullying in schools as an example, and Modesty is a word most people do not know anymore. As to Rapists, who knows as no matter what a person wears that is not an excuse for rape. Using Killers and Rapists hides the change in people as to violence brought on by such promotions, at a lower but very bad level.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
So you're of the belief that in general people are stupid enough to be manipulated by commercials and ads. That's a very dire outlook for the world in general but I do admit it's hard to argue the opposite side.
Sad but true, look at how fashions have changed and where did such changes come from?????????????????? Commercials, TV shows, Movies and similar. People are stupid enough to be manipulated.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Sad but true, look at how fashions have changed and where did such changes come from?????????????????? Commercials, TV shows, Movies and similar. People are stupid enough to be manipulated.
I'll be honest, unless I'm out and about, I'm usually sporting a tank top, board shorts, and flip flops because it's comfortable as ****.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Not stupid but more as naive or uninformed. Some people. Yes, I do. It explains why we have watchdog groups that check the validity of advertising claims. One such organization that I've read for decades is CSPI (Center for Science in the Public Interest). Took their magazine for years but now they have it available online.

If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out. Very informative about the food we eat as well as other consumer products.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I'll be honest, unless I'm out and about, I'm usually sporting a tank top, board shorts, and flip flops because it's comfortable as ****.
Oh, I have a standard of dress based on needs not commercials. Soon I hope my daily wear will be a T-Shirt, shorts and flip flops too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California