Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:14 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,347 times

Advertisements

Some of you may have been following my posts over the last several months about my and my fiancee's ongoing desire to move to Humboldt County, and over that period of time I applied for a position with the County. I sent in my application back in May, and in late May I was told I met the minimum qualifications and was invited to come in and take a proficiency exam. I took the exam in early July and scored an 85/100, and placed in position 5 of 10 on an eligibility list. I was invited to come interview on July 29th and 30th, which I did, and then I got a call on Tuesday saying that they were offering me the position! I admit I got a little emotional when I was offered the position because it means the absolute world to me, and since May my fiancee and I have made the trip out there four times.

We'll be making another trip out there on September 20th to fill out some paperwork and get my fingerprints done and all that, and once everything is cleared (which they will be - I work in the District Attorney's Office of both Butte and Yolo Counties which requires an extensive criminal background check - far more involved than what Humboldt had to do) I'll be able to start working. My fiancee and I are going out of state from September 25th through the 30th for my sister's wedding in Kansas, and I'll probably put my two weeks' notice in with both Butte and Yolo once I get back, so I expect I'll start working in either mid or late October.

Being able to live on the North Coast has been a dream of mine ever since I was a kid (same goes for my fiancee) so to have this happen is truly a dream come true. We love the small town feel but appreciate the fact that there's a Costco and some other larger stores; we love the low population and population density; we love the scenery (who wouldn't?!) and the weather (can't wait for the rain!). I've never been a huge fan of the fog but I've come to accept it and over time I may even learn to like it or not notice it. I appreciate that the fog helps keep things green much longer than where we're living now, and I DEFINITELY appreciate that it helps keep temperatures down during summer (65 - 70° days during summer? I'll take that over 90 - 115 ANY time! ).

The next step is to find a place to live for rent of $1000/month or less that is dog friendly which is proving to be tricky (I've been looking up houses there for months now), but I'm confident we'll be able to work something out eventually. We're planning on renting for roughly a year while we get to know the area more intimately, and after we're married in summer of 2015 we want to buy a house and spend the rest of our lives there. To us, this is the real start of our lives and we absolutely cannot wait to get started!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Congratulations! There is a lot to explore up there. Enjoy the coast and also take a tour of the Oregon towns and coastline when you have a chance.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:31 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Well, no more unresolved MMJ issues for you guys in in Humboldt

Old 08-30-2013, 12:58 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Congrats and good luck finding a place. It's tough even without a dog and for the amount of rent you are wanting to pay.
Craigslist is probably your best bet and talk to the people even if they say no dogs. Some will change thier minds. Odds are likely better if you find something out of town where it is expected to have a dog for 'warning' and watching livestock purposes (like chickens).

Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
because this is what you wanted so badly I am happy for you and hope everything works out. The rental part might not be easy, yet I am sure there is something out there for you. There is a lot to do and see in that region of the state. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Let us know how you like it once you get settled in. I've been curious about that part of CA, myself.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:04 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Well, no more unresolved MMJ issues for you guys in in Humboldt
But seriously... assuming the OP is not a MMJ user, they should just focus on the listings that say "No 215" or similar, and emphasize the fact that they're clean as far as MJ is concerned. Landlords up there are fed up with tenants who use their properties as grow houses. By not being such tenants, they have a built-in advantage.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:30 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
But seriously... assuming the OP is not a MMJ user
Had some "inside" info---this was from another post by the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
Where is my fiance supposed to get her medicine now? She suffers from debilitating migraines and MMJ helps her tremendously. We can't get it here in Chico so where are we supposed to go now? "Sanity" my ass; regulation is needed, not a complete shut down.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:42 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,347 times
Sparrow - my fiancee no longer is using MMJ because we have found an alternative that is very effective and doesn't affect her the way MMJ does. It turns out she has a disorder called pernicious anemia, which is essentially a severe B-12 deficiency. None of the doctors she went to was able to figure this out and her body aches/migraines were so bad she was desperate for any kind of relief that wouldn't destroy her liver/kidneys/digestion like some of her medications (imetrex) had done in the past. MMJ was that solution for a while but since we now know what the problem is it turns out the fix is a simple patch she wears behind her ear for 24 hours every 3 - 7 days depending on how "low" she feels.

Her migraines have all but vanished, her aches are fading, her energy is up, her mood is stablizing, her digestive system is improving, and things are just a lot better for her overall. The patches are FAR less expensive than the MMJ ($20 a box vs. $350 for an ounce of MJ) and of course they don't require any special equipment or any sort of stigma attached to them, so that's all good.

I'm still a strong supporter of MMJ though as a former user and personally witnessing the relief it gave my fiancee and many others, but neither one of us will be using MMJ in Humboldt because it's simply not necessary anymore, and for that we're both grateful.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:57 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
Congratulations! I went on a road trip to that area in mid August, and it was beautiful. I wish I could live in the middle of the redwoods! I never knew such an amazing ecosystem existed in California; it's very different from the sequoia groves in Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Park. I can't wait until I can go back again. More power to you and your fiancee for making a dream really happen! I'll cross my fingers that the rental situation will work out, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California