Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,568 times

Advertisements

So recently my parents decided to pull all funding from my future. they are mormon and i am NOT to say the least. So i cannot go back to the university i am attending for financial reasons and need to find somewhere to get on my feet. All summer i have been looking for a job but in the vail area (a major luxory area) no jobs are to be found. i currently work 15 hours a week at a deli. i am making NO money.

my girlfriend is going to be going to school at Humboldt State and i decided i might like to go out there and start fresh, start something new and different. the more i think about it the more excited i get, the thing is, i currently have 400 dollars and make about 120 dollars a week.

Does anyone have any information on the job market out there? i've been finding rooms available for bout 300-400 a month with small to no deposits but the thing is, i will need a job IMMEDIATELY after moving out there. I want to move out there early august or even sooner. i cannot live here, my parents think i'm a demon or something.

also i would like to go to trade school/ jr. college to get some sort of degree in Automotive technology so i can have a miny career to put me through school to get my engineering degree. any info on jr. colleges, trade schools, and towns in the humboldt area would be very beneficial.

please give me any insight i can get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 10:18 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatesforcandy View Post
So recently my parents decided to pull all funding from my future. they are mormon and i am NOT to say the least. So i cannot go back to the university i am attending for financial reasons and need to find somewhere to get on my feet. All summer i have been looking for a job but in the vail area (a major luxory area) no jobs are to be found. i currently work 15 hours a week at a deli. i am making NO money.

my girlfriend is going to be going to school at Humboldt State and i decided i might like to go out there and start fresh, start something new and different. the more i think about it the more excited i get, the thing is, i currently have 400 dollars and make about 120 dollars a week.

Does anyone have any information on the job market out there? i've been finding rooms available for bout 300-400 a month with small to no deposits but the thing is, i will need a job IMMEDIATELY after moving out there. I want to move out there early august or even sooner. i cannot live here, my parents think i'm a demon or something.

also i would like to go to trade school/ jr. college to get some sort of degree in Automotive technology so i can have a miny career to put me through school to get my engineering degree. any info on jr. colleges, trade schools, and towns in the humboldt area would be very beneficial.

please give me any insight i can get
I cant help you with specifics.
You may just need some perseverance and there will be folks on this thread that will tell you you're crazy to come to California at this point ... nay sayers ... but you gotta do what you gotta do so i wish you good luck.
Since it's summer time and you're probably relatively "rugged", you may consider doing some camping for awhile until you find a job and save up some money.
And i hope you feel comfortable with herb and please stay away from meth!
That is my advice.
Good luck.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 06-29-2009 at 10:26 AM..

Old 06-29-2009, 12:45 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
The job market in Humboldt County is very very very bad. Summer is the worst time--the school is closed and there isn't much tourism, a lot of businesses shutter for the summer and students line up for the handful of summer jobs. Even during the rest of the year finding jobs is hard.

That being said, it's an amazingly beautiful place and you may well fall in love with it. Go visit, but buy a round-trip ticket just in case you don't.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
listen to Wburg,

Yes, it is pretty, especially along the coast, but it has always, even in the hay days been very depressed. We lived there in the 70s, the logging industry is the main industry and with it sagging, there is almost nothing to do and no jobs...

Whatever you decide to do, good luck, but I think you will be a little taken back. The $400 you have will last you, maybe a week if you are lucky.

Nita

Old 06-29-2009, 04:22 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Grow pot. Heck man, it's the biggest money maker in Kentucky.

I'm sure you"ll do well up there.

CA sinsemilla is da bomb.....

Old 06-29-2009, 06:33 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatesforcandy View Post
So recently my parents decided to pull all funding from my future.
Don't keep us in suspense...what the heck did you do?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:07 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Previous posters are correct-better bring a job with you. Once you establish a year's residency, you can attend College of the Redwoods which has a pretty good automotive and a diesel program. Right now it's cheap,but the California budget is likely to be pretty grotesque by the time Arnold get done vetoing everything so no telling what the costs or amount of student aid will be in the future. $400 for a room will probably not include utilities. This is a tough year for looking for work. You'll be competing with laid-off folks with good job histories.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,568 times
sorry to be away so long but i pretty much forgot about this forum. things you do in the late hours yah know.

anyway i found a job here two weeks ago and have been working it solidly. i have alot of experience in the culinary field but no degree although i am currently working with an ex culinary instructor that is pounding info into my head constantly.

i plan on moving to the arcata area in 4-5 weeks. i will save as much as i can but the job issue is still a large concern. i am still very deadset on the area. my girlfriend of 7 months is going to hsu on her parents budget and i figure being near her when i make my new start is as good as being anywhere else. the area also excites me with its beauty and lowish population. the climate seems perfect.

so yes the plan is to move down there in late august/early september. i will have some money but not too much, i haven't been paid at my new job yet so we'll see what my wage is. regardless i will be able to live in the area for at least a couple months without a job, do you all think i could find a restaurant position in that amount of time?

Old 08-29-2010, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,949 times
I was born and raised in humboldt county and am 27yrs old. I will tell ya this much it has changed alot in just the past 10 yrs. DONT LOOSE A JOB HERE, i got laid off about two weeks ago and am raising a daughter on my own. The job market is crap and the pay is crap here. Yes it is beautiful but it can be very depressing and is not a good place to live if you dont have much money or a car. You need a car to live here and work cause the public transportation is horrible. The rent is cheap considerably but the rents here keep going up and our pay isn't following. We have highest gas prices in the state pretty much. Ohh and i would live in mckinleyville or arcata if you do live here cause eureka has gone way down and is full of crack heads and bums. Probably cause theres not much to do and people get into trouble and get involved with drugs. Im not proud to live here anymore and as soon as i can im moving away i dont want my daughter raised here anymore.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:57 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
With the possible exception of the Imperial Valley,this is the WORST place in the State to look for a job. Check out the job listings in the Times-Standard online or CALJOBS. I haven't seen a restaurant job listed in months, and there are many LOCAL people who have lost their jobs who will be hired before you are. The Zoo snackshop hired a CIA graduate and paid him $10/hour, then let him go because they couldn't afford him. . That's the way it is here. Do your research. Sorry I can't be more encouraging but I do have a conscience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California