Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 12,835 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am 27 and currently live in Michigan about 20 miles away from Detroit. Let me give you a little background first

My husband is a true Michigander. He has lived here all his life and even though he hates the weather sometimes he hates the idea of moving as he grew up here and wants to live close to his family and friends. Also he doesn’t like extremely hot or humid places as he is used to the cooler climate now.

I lived in Mumbai, India all my life. Mumbai is a huge city where there are tons of things to do, the sun is shining almost every day. Yes it is very hot and humid and dirty but I lived there for 22 years of my life so it I was used to it. I moved to Toronto, Canada when I was 22 for higher education and even though it was a huge weather change there I loved it. It was a huge city with tons of things to do, I had some family there and the weather did not constantly change at the drop of a hat, which I feel like sometimes it does in Michigan. I moved to Michigan as I met my now husband when I lived in Toronto and wanted to move closer to him, get married etc. I had no idea what Michigan was like but I didn’t think I would not like it as I lived in Toronto and thought the weather would be similar. I however did not like Michigan from the get go. I went to a university close to Detroit and could never go outside. The weather changes too often. Coming from a warm country like India I do not like the snow and am cold if it drops below 70 degrees. In the winter I turn into a hermit almost and never want to go out or do anything as to me the clouds and overcast are depressing and it is way too cold. I don’t really enjoy any winter sports or activities that need me to be outdoors for too long as I really just can’t have fun when I’m cold, again being from India I am not used to this. There aren’t a ton of things to do indoors during the winter except maybe going to close by bars or restaurants or friend’s houses or watch a movie etc. ,which I have done for 3 years and am dreading the upcoming winter.

Especially after this summer I just don’t think I will be able to go through about 6 to 8 more months of mostly overcast days without being depressed. We both have pretty high paying jobs here. We bring in about 140k+ a year. We expect to get at least 180k+ in California or an equivalent state. We have a house that we could flip for a profit (so down payment on a new house won’t be a huge issue in Cali). I will admit we do have a good lifestyle here in the sense that we make good money and the cost of living is good. But I just can’t imagine living here for the rest of my life while I am indoors for close to 8 months (I am not bashing any Michiganders, this is just how I am and my feelings). I hate to ask my husband to move but I don’t know how to make this work for both of us. My husband sees the way I get in winter and knows I am not happy so he has agreed to give moving a shot but is hopeful that we will move back someday, to which I say, hey you never know where life takes you so never say never. His parents would consider moving closer to us and his siblings possibly would too (they have all considered moving at some point of their lives as none of them are winter people). I want to move before we have kids as it is much easier firstly and I want to explore, live and have a blast before we have kids. Since I have moved so much I want to find a place that I can finally call home or at least has the “feels like home” vibe.

What other places could be options for us? We are looking at LA, Long Beach, San Diego, possibly Houston.
What we am looking for in a place would include
- Great weather, I need the sun
- Lots of things to do
- Close to big downtown/metro areas
- Cost of living
- Not too humid
- Good to raise kids in the future
- Good job market
- Good for meeting new people and starting a new life

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again Michiganders I don’t mean to offend anyone, I am just grew up in a different place and so this is not my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:36 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbby View Post

What other places could be options for us? We are looking at LA, Long Beach, San Diego, possibly Houston.
- Lots of things to do
- Cost of living
- Not too humid
- Good job market

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again Michiganders I don’t mean to offend anyone, I am just grew up in a different place and so this is not my cup of tea.
I would suggest taking several trips out to CA and seeing if the fit is right for you.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:47 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Take a couple of trips to CA as pacific2 mentioned. Personally, out of all the places mentioned, San Diego would seem like the best fit. You said, not too humid so Houston is out of the question. LA may not give you that "at home vibe" you are looking for but it has a lot to offer. Between San Diego and Long Beach, SD might be a better fit although admittedly, I don't know too much about Long Beach. San Diego gets a little humid but you have lived in some very humid places so you likely wouldn't even notice it. LA generally has a better job market than SD though and there are plenty of things to so. You need sun, can't go wrong with SoCal.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Take a couple of trips to CA as pacific2 mentioned. Personally, out of all the places mentioned, San Diego would seem like the best fit. You said, not too humid so Houston is out of the question. LA may not give you that "at home vibe" you are looking for but it has a lot to offer. Between San Diego and Long Beach, SD might be a better fit although admittedly, I don't know too much about Long Beach. San Diego gets a little humid but you have lived in some very humid places so you likely wouldn't even notice it. LA generally has a better job market than SD though and there are plenty of things to so. You need sun, can't go wrong with SoCal.
Very true. The good news is that there are mountains in SoCal that get snow so if your husband gets homesick for MI winter weather he can drive an hour or so and go roll in the white stuff. With luck he'll get caught in a blizzard.

Don't let the fact that I'm in the Ozarks (we have some winter weather too) fool you. I was born in San Diego and raised in SoCal.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:25 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbby View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am 27 and currently live in Michigan about 20 miles away from Detroit. Let me give you a little background first

My husband is a true Michigander. He has lived here all his life and even though he hates the weather sometimes he hates the idea of moving as he grew up here and wants to live close to his family and friends. Also he doesn’t like extremely hot or humid places as he is used to the cooler climate now.

I lived in Mumbai, India all my life. Mumbai is a huge city where there are tons of things to do, the sun is shining almost every day. Yes it is very hot and humid and dirty but I lived there for 22 years of my life so it I was used to it. I moved to Toronto, Canada when I was 22 for higher education and even though it was a huge weather change there I loved it. It was a huge city with tons of things to do, I had some family there and the weather did not constantly change at the drop of a hat, which I feel like sometimes it does in Michigan. I moved to Michigan as I met my now husband when I lived in Toronto and wanted to move closer to him, get married etc. I had no idea what Michigan was like but I didn’t think I would not like it as I lived in Toronto and thought the weather would be similar. I however did not like Michigan from the get go. I went to a university close to Detroit and could never go outside. The weather changes too often. Coming from a warm country like India I do not like the snow and am cold if it drops below 70 degrees. In the winter I turn into a hermit almost and never want to go out or do anything as to me the clouds and overcast are depressing and it is way too cold. I don’t really enjoy any winter sports or activities that need me to be outdoors for too long as I really just can’t have fun when I’m cold, again being from India I am not used to this. There aren’t a ton of things to do indoors during the winter except maybe going to close by bars or restaurants or friend’s houses or watch a movie etc. ,which I have done for 3 years and am dreading the upcoming winter.

Especially after this summer I just don’t think I will be able to go through about 6 to 8 more months of mostly overcast days without being depressed. We both have pretty high paying jobs here. We bring in about 140k+ a year. We expect to get at least 180k+ in California or an equivalent state. We have a house that we could flip for a profit (so down payment on a new house won’t be a huge issue in Cali). I will admit we do have a good lifestyle here in the sense that we make good money and the cost of living is good. But I just can’t imagine living here for the rest of my life while I am indoors for close to 8 months (I am not bashing any Michiganders, this is just how I am and my feelings). I hate to ask my husband to move but I don’t know how to make this work for both of us. My husband sees the way I get in winter and knows I am not happy so he has agreed to give moving a shot but is hopeful that we will move back someday, to which I say, hey you never know where life takes you so never say never. His parents would consider moving closer to us and his siblings possibly would too (they have all considered moving at some point of their lives as none of them are winter people). I want to move before we have kids as it is much easier firstly and I want to explore, live and have a blast before we have kids. Since I have moved so much I want to find a place that I can finally call home or at least has the “feels like home” vibe.

- Lots of things to do
- Cost of living
- Not too humid
- Good job market

Only place that fits all that would be the suburbs in San Diego, EXCEPT cost of living. Unless you have $750k or more for an average sized house. I would suggest not buying any houses in CA because its a terrible market. The house next door to me for example. Its a 4 bed/2 bath 1800 sqft house in Anaheim, like 4 blocks from Disneyland in a decent neighborhood. Its been renovated and they want $640k for it, its not even worth $500k. They have had opening houses every weekend for the past three months. Lots of lookers, no buyers. Whats happening is hedge fund groups from out of state who have no clue what fair market value is here have been buying tons of properties over the past year and paying above market value. This has driven the cost of houses up. They are betting on the market to swing way back up so they can flip these properties and make money. Problem is, the market isnt going to swing back up that high anytime soon. You missed the best chance to get cheap housing out here by a year or so.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:32 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,669,615 times
California humid is nothing like east coast Midwest humid, especially if one is on the coast.
From what you have said, I think Southern California would be too drastic of a temptature change for your husband. So. Cal is HOT in the summer.
Maybe something more northern, Santa Cruz and surrounding area, the outer edges of the Bay Area. There it gets warm and sometimes hot, but not all summer long hot.

Also, depending on the type of work you do could be a determining factor on where you live. Different locations have different needs and industries.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:40 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
So. Cal is HOT in the summer.
And Michigan is COLD in the summer? Ever been there in the summer?

Old 08-16-2013, 06:08 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
California humid is nothing like east coast Midwest humid, especially if one is on the coast.
This is a bit overrated by many. The dew point in what you want to look at. I have been looking to move to Dallas, so I have been watching their weather every day. When people were complaining about the triple digit temps, their humidity was still under 50% and their dew point was 63-65. In comparison, it was high 80s here in Anaheim with humidity around 60% and dew point at 60. So although Dallas had a higher temp, their felt humidity was just about even with ours in Anaheim. Its when you start getting to 75 and above dew point that it gets bad, but the OC can get up around 70 dew point and feel muggy too. The obvious difference is the wind coming off the pacific is cooler than the wind coming off the gulf or the atlantic because the pacific stays about 15-20 degrees colder on average. Midwest and east coast humidity is mild compared to the humidity in places like LA, AL and Houston right near the gulf. I was in 100% humidity with a dew point over 80 in Baton Rogue back in March 2011 and it felt like a tropical jungle. You rarely get those type of days on the east coast or midwest. Within 30 miles of the ocean, CA can get just as humid as the midwest or east coast, we just usually have lower temps so its not as noticeable.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:15 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
This is a bit overrated by many. The dew point in what you want to look at. I have been looking to move to Dallas, so I have been watching their weather every day. When people were complaining about the triple digit temps, their humidity was still under 50% and their dew point was 63-65. In comparison, it was high 80s here in Anaheim with humidity around 60% and dew point at 60. So although Dallas had a higher temp, their felt humidity was just about even with ours in Anaheim. Its when you start getting to 75 and above dew point that it gets bad, but the OC can get up around 70 dew point and feel muggy too. The obvious difference is the wind coming off the pacific is cooler than the wind coming off the gulf or the atlantic because the pacific stays about 15-20 degrees colder on average. Midwest and east coast humidity is mild compared to the humidity in places like LA, AL and Houston right near the gulf. I was in 100% humidity with a dew point over 80 in Baton Rogue back in March 2011 and it felt like a tropical jungle. You rarely get those type of days on the east coast or midwest. Within 30 miles of the ocean, CA can get just as humid as the midwest or east coast, we just usually have lower temps so its not as noticeable.
San Diego's dew points can rise into the mid to high 60's with a rare 70. When I left in September of 2010, the dew point made it to 72.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:02 PM

35 posts, read 56,849 times
fbby. I can understand how you feel. Try exploring these places, rent for a while. San Diego is well-known for its perfect weather all year round. Some people here might have different take on that. My husband's Dad had a house in SD and we spent summer vacation there. It's a little warm for me. My husband likes it there. I personally prefer the northern part, obviously because it's cooler. Good luck wherever you settle. Btw, I have a friend who lives north suburb of Detroit.
I was born and raised in a tropical country and moved to Michigan (present home) in my mid-twenties. My husband born and raised in Ohio, got a job right after college and worked for the company in Michigan until he retired few years ago. Few months after I arrived here, went back to school and first winter came, I learned to cross and downhill ski. I have to adapt to the weather. We get so much lake-effect snow at times. And yes gray days for a week or two is norm. I'm always an active person, joined the gym and met people of same interest, heck my friends and I truly enjoy running in the trails with fresh snow and I'm in my 50's. Almost 30 years and survived Ironically, my husband born and raised in the Midwest gets sinus cold when he's out in the cold too long, and I on the other hand can't handle the heat. Our kids are in their twenties and once they're done with college they are not coming back here. They were born and raised here, but sorry to say there's not much to offer to new graduates career-wise.
So, my husband and I decided to move and downsize. And we want to live in an area where we can stay active all year round. Can't do that in the winter time and getting tired of "snow-blowing". I will truly miss my friends, the area especially during the summer. The beautiful beach, art and wine festivals, and other activities like the yearly triathlon and tri-state regatta to name a few. It can get really nice and cool in the summer, 40's-50's early morning and 70's to near 90 in the afternoon. Humidity 60's-80's sometimes but the cool breeze from the lake helps.
It's really not bad. I'm taking my old ski boots....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California