Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:20 PM

5 posts, read 6,532 times

Advertisements

Hello there. My parents from the Northeast US want to take a week vacation and relax, all while deciding if they may want to move somewhere on the coast after retirement in a few years. They're worked harder than anyone I've known and deserve it, hopefully y'all can help out with some general information. They've been to Florida multiple times and they like it there to some extent. They prefer:

-Low humidity and 70+ degrees year round
-Warm waters year round
-Clear and shallow water
-Nice sand
-Friendly community, less hustle bustle. They don't drink or eat out, and want somewhere with nice relaxed pace to it. (Which is why I've tried to steer clear of LA)
-A respectable friendliness towards Catholics (of which they are devout).

Some possible options I've put out there:

-Orange County (Laguna?)
-San Diego (they could start here and drive up to OC/LA to at least be able to have "seen it")
-Houston
-Charleston, SC
-Somewhere in Florida
-anywhere else worth looking??

Any ideas? A broad topic, yes, but I'd be glad for any help whatsoever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
The Pacific Ocean off California is almost never warm.
The other locations are all humid.
Southern California is not 70+ degrees year round.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:04 PM

121 posts, read 240,319 times
If warm and clear water is a strict requirement then nowhere in CA will suffice. The water is in the 60s in the summer and never clear.

You would be better off sticking with gulf cities in FL.

If they want to visit cities in CA then Laguna Nigel or Dana Point would be nice. It will also be a reasonable distance for trips to see LA and SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-04-2013, 08:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
The Pacific Ocean is cold.

I thought of Alameda in the SF Bay Area. Alameda is on the SF Bay, not the ocean. Believe it or not there's a beach (though nothing like Florida), and the water is really shallow and goes way out into the bay before it gets deep, so the water is fairly warm. I wouldn't call any water in CA clear, if it's salt water. Different story, say, at Lake Tahoe, where the water is amazingly clear.

Alameda is charming, and pretty safe. There's a nice farmer's market. And if you don't have to deal with commuting, as your retired parents wouldn't, I think they'd find it a nice place to live. And if they ever wanted to go to Berkeley or SF for arts, entertainment, they're really close by.

And the weather is mild year round.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Things that are needed to be able to help is the following:

How much can they afford to pay out in rent, or price of home they desire if they are buying one. This is important to say if one place will fit their needs, or not. This one fact alone, can control where they would be able to settle.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:25 AM

5 posts, read 6,532 times
Let's assume the money isn't much of a problem.. I've been to a few of the places mentioned and they all offer homes and rents well within their means for the size of property they'd want.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Low humidity and warm water just doesn't seem to go together.

Houston and the Florida beach areas are probably some of the highest humidity you can find.

They might be better off looking for a large lake with nice beaches.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fs2005 View Post
Hello there. My parents from the Northeast US want to take a week vacation and relax, all while deciding if they may want to move somewhere on the coast after retirement in a few years. They're worked harder than anyone I've known and deserve it, hopefully y'all can help out with some general information. They've been to Florida multiple times and they like it there to some extent. They prefer:

-Warm waters year round
-Clear and shallow water
-Nice sand
-Friendly community, less hustle bustle. They don't drink or eat out, and want somewhere with nice relaxed pace to it. (Which is why I've tried to steer clear of LA)

Some possible options I've put out there:

-Orange County (Laguna?)
-San Diego (they could start here and drive up to OC/LA to at least be able to have "seen it")
-Houston
-Charleston, SC
-Somewhere in Florida
-anywhere else worth looking??

Any ideas? A broad topic, yes, but I'd be glad for any help whatsoever
The biggest problem will be finding somewhere with warm ocean water and little humidity. The Pacific ocean water is very cold but the weather would suit them. The Atlantic coast has wonderful warm water, but humidity and high temps. Even though the temps will be a little warmer than they might like, I would suggest, either the gulf side of Florida, maybe southern Alabama or somewhere near Destin, Florida. Of course their housing budget will determine where they would be the happiest and most content. I also think, finding a community with a lot of seniors will make them feel welcome and the people will be friendlier than a town that is filled with younger, singles. Laguna Beach is awesome but I don't think would be a good place for seniors..

Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Florida is a good choice. I would also recommend the Oregon Coast (Cannon Beach), but it's usually not warm there.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fs2005 View Post

-Warm waters year round
-Clear and shallow water
-Nice sand
Shangri-la.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California