Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 03:46 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,914,014 times

Advertisements

What is the difference, sir? Well, as should be self evident those other places are garbage, sir. Do you hear me? Garbage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,914,014 times
[quote=fs2005;30814200]
-Orange County (Laguna?)

Both sets of my grandparents retired to Laguna Woods and they absolutely loved it as they were surrounded by people their own age, were independent in their own house and yet there were a ton of community activities in the club houses and various other groups, there are lots of parks and open spaces there with organized activities, everything is "right there" plus the weather is great.

-San Diego (they could start here and drive up to OC/LA to at least be able to have "seen it")

If they don't do Laguna Woods San Diego is my next suggestion. The quality of life is amazing here (this is where I live), there are lots of cool little neighborhoods which all feel completely different, and the only downside is everyone else seems to want to live here too so prices get bid up.

-Houston

My wife is from there, we regularly go there to visit her parents, I loath the town, I mean hate it with a passion because it's like the ******* of the world and most of the people suck.

-Charleston, SC

I lived there when I was in the army. Once you get used to there being no civic life, no sidewalks any where because they're too cheap to build them, no variety at all, and the ball sweating weather it's all right.

-Somewhere in Florida

I have no experience with Florida outside of Disney World and the airport but I remember seeing some giant bugs at the airport.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:17 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,219,931 times
I know that the Pacific off of California is not very warm, but San Diego beaches and some beaches in Orange County get water as warm as 73F. Laguna Beach is one of them, and has fairly calm and clear water. Coronado Beach is another example of calm waters and soft white sand. The beaches in Catalina Island has a tropical look with turquoise waters that are very calm and with silvery sand, and Torrey Pines State Beach in San Diego has clear waters, along with La Jolla Cove.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Actually, Honolulu is a great bet! Warmest waters in the country (warmer water than South Florida in wintertime, though not as hot as Miami in summer). I've lived there and it is true paradise. The weather is in the 80sF most of the time, some days in the low 90sF in September or August, but not many. The humidity is there, but not overbearing like the east coast thanks for trade winds. Nights are between 65F-75F all year long. Yes, Honolulu is urban and crowded at times, but this is great if you want nightlife, museums and fine dining occasionally, or shopping. You can always live in the suburbs away from the city though for a quiet feel. As for the beaches, I think Hawaii has the best: warm and clear water. Some beaches are calm, like Lanikai or Waikiki, but many have waves.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:37 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,833,345 times
I have lived in SoCal and FL. FL is one of the most humid climates and for a long period of time since the summers last 7 months. If weather is an issue it is important to visit for a few weeks in the summer to see how it feels. Some areas in FL have a lot of retired people which I would think is nice for activities and meeting people. In FL even in expensive areas the cost of living is much less and you get more for your money then in CA. For overall mild temperature CA is the best in my opinion. SC has hot and humid summers but can very cool in the winters. Though you did not mention NC but that is a popular retirement state but also can get hot and humid or cold.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Both of the Carolinas are very popular for a lot of reasons. Fl has a lot to offer,i but as the last poster said it is really humid and hot in the summer. The winters are much nice than So Ca and the water, like I said previously is much warmer. Utopia does not exist, so mommy and daddy are going to have to make some sacrifices and decide what is really the 5 most important issues for them when they retire.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:20 PM

^^^Well it depends where in Florida. North Florida, including the Panhandle, has cooler winters than SoCal. Even Central and South Florida, down to the Keys, still get a few chilly days in winter. And the winter waters in South Florida are the same as SoCal summer waters-73F. SoCal has warmer winters (and warmer winter waters) than anything north of Florida or in the northern Gulf.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 AM

5 posts, read 6,538 times
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone

Old 08-18-2013, 01:24 PM

156 posts, read 404,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fs2005 View Post
Hello there. My parents from the Northeast US want to take a week vacation and relax, all while deciding if they may want to move somewhere on the coast after retirement in a few years. They're worked harder than anyone I've known and deserve it, hopefully y'all can help out with some general information. They've been to Florida multiple times and they like it there to some extent. They prefer:

-Low humidity and 70+ degrees year round
-Warm waters year round
-Clear and shallow water
-Nice sand
-Friendly community, less hustle bustle. They don't drink or eat out, and want somewhere with nice relaxed pace to it. (Which is why I've tried to steer clear of LA)
-A respectable friendliness towards Catholics (of which they are devout).

Some possible options I've put out there:

-Orange County (Laguna?)
-San Diego (they could start here and drive up to OC/LA to at least be able to have "seen it")
-Houston
-Charleston, SC
-Somewhere in Florida
-anywhere else worth looking??

Any ideas? A broad topic, yes, but I'd be glad for any help whatsoever
ventura county

Old 08-18-2013, 06:06 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,528,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fs2005 View Post
Hello there. My parents from the Northeast US want to take a week vacation and relax, all while deciding if they may want to move somewhere on the coast after retirement in a few years. They're worked harder than anyone I've known and deserve it, hopefully y'all can help out with some general information. They've been to Florida multiple times and they like it there to some extent. They prefer:

-Low humidity and 70+ degrees year round
-Warm waters year round
-Clear and shallow water
-Nice sand
-Friendly community, less hustle bustle. They don't drink or eat out, and want somewhere with nice relaxed pace to it. (Which is why I've tried to steer clear of LA)
-A respectable friendliness towards Catholics (of which they are devout).

Some possible options I've put out there:

-Orange County (Laguna?)
-Houston
-Charleston, SC
-Somewhere in Florida
-anywhere else worth looking??

Any ideas? A broad topic, yes, but I'd be glad for any help whatsoever
I skimmed through the whole thread. The one thing that you didn't mention is your parents' budget. That missing tiny detail is of paramount importance, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California