Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 11,591 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating to Southern California with my wife and children (ages 2, 1, and one coming in July). I am coming from Oklahoma so I know the cost of living is going to be a huge difference. I am wondering what is a good area to live in with a family like mine (I will be traveling between San Diego, Temecula, and Santa Ynez)? Also, What is a decent hourly pay rate out there? Please let me know, any advice will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 04:23 PM

664 posts, read 1,948,984 times
You may want to move this to the San Diego area for more respones.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,865,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothsoccer69 View Post
I may be relocating to Southern California with my wife and children (ages 2, 1, and one coming in July). I am coming from Oklahoma so I know the cost of living is going to be a huge difference. I am wondering what is a good area to live in with a family like mine (I will be traveling between San Diego, Temecula, and Santa Ynez)? Also, What is a decent hourly pay rate out there? Please let me know, any advice will help.
What is the nature of your traveling between those three places (Santa Ynez is 69 light years from San Diego and even worse in traffic)?

Buy or rent?
Budget for housing?
Where will your job be?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:53 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,473,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothsoccer69 View Post
How often wil you be in each of those 3 places? Makes a big difference. Also how much can you afford in Rent/Mortgage. When I hear "hourly wage" I cringe cause frankly, if your getting paid by the hour, CA is not a friendly place for you economically speaking

Old 03-26-2010, 10:06 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,541,270 times
Default Possible Relocation to SoCal. Need Advice.

Advice? Don't even think about it with soon-to-be three children if you're receiving an hourly wage unless it's at least $50+ an hour. And that's just for starters. You won't be in Oklahoma anymore, Toto!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:55 PM

8 posts, read 11,591 times
I will be traveling to these places for work. Probably to each at least twice a month or more. Mostly will be San Diego, Temecula, and Cabazon. I am a field service tech for a slot machine company. I don't know what my housing budget is going to be. I am going to be negotiating pay is why I was asking about what I would need to make. I just want to be in a place that is safe, pretty, and fun for me and my family.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,541,270 times
Best of luck with that. With a family your size and to be able to keep your head above water and even invest a wee bit in your future, and your childrens', I imagine that that $50 an hour is rather bare bones. If CA is nothing else, it's not cheap! I'd aim for more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California