Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:51 AM

49 posts, read 61,539 times

Advertisements

Next year I get to study for a year in the US from the UK. I have a long list to choose from but I am looking at California primarily. These are the Cali universiites that I can attend and would love to go to. They are in order of my preference:

Quote:
University of California, Santa Cruz
University of California, San Diego
San Diego State University
California State University, Long Beach
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Davis
I am looking for the following from my experience:
- Good for a history major.
- Little international student presence. Santa Cruz matches this with 0.3% of students being international.
- Typical America portrayed in the movies.
- Good weather (should apply to all of Cali, right?).
- Good transport - Ideally a rapid transit system like San Diego's trolleys - I won't have a car in the US and I cannot ride a bike due to a balance problem (so no bike campuses - UC Davis is one so this is why it is near the bottom).
- Beautiful campus.
- Good dorms.

I really like the look of Santa Cruz! Could you give me lots of info on this place and two or three sentences on the others in my list tailored to my criteria.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by hrvyspctr; 06-07-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 10:25 AM

26,760 posts, read 26,869,136 times
University of California - Admissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvyspctr View Post
- Good weather (should apply to all of Cali, right?).
Not necessarily. (And we don't call it "Cali." )

Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,058,222 times
Well, if you like cool summers (mid 70's about the warmest) and fog, then Santa Cruz would be the closest to those in "Briti"

Santa Cruz, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvyspctr View Post
Typical America portrayed in the movies.
You mean like "typical Europe" ? You have a lot to learn about America.

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 06-07-2013 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 10:59 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,854,605 times
Is there a Colombia forum?

Otherwise, if we are talking about CA. I would add UC Santa Barabara to the list.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:03 AM

919 posts, read 1,783,697 times
You're a university student, and you're going to base your decision on which school to attend not on the academic quality or reputation of the department, but if you can get laid, loaded and drunk, because that's what you've seen in movies. You know what, stay home and be a poser in the UK, we have enough of our own idiots cluttering up US campuses....

Old 06-07-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Well, if you like cool summers (mid 70's about the warmest) and fog, then Santa Cruz would be the closest to those in "Briti"

Santa Cruz, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And:

You mean like "typical Europe" ? You have a lot to learn about America.
"Typical America" as in a city that incorporates almost all elements of the country. The type of America we see in the movies.

Also, what is "Briti"? At least "Cali" is an frequently used word meaning California.

Look forward to you Californians' sarcasm.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 AM

919 posts, read 1,783,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Is there a Colombia forum?

Otherwise, if we are talking about CA. I would add UC Santa Barabara to the list.
Took me a minute to figure it out, very well played!!!!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Took me a minute to figure it out, very well played!!!!
Yes, what does this mean? I am guessing all the universities mentioned have a large Colombian student presence...

Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 AM

493 posts, read 784,139 times
if you want typical america, then youre barking up the wrong tree.

cuz us typical americans dont take kindly to book lernin and ponytailed perfessers!

re cali, its one of those things where the reaction has gotten just as annoying

in general it is something ppl say, either ghetto ppl or wanna be ghetto ppl, not something you'd be hearing much from college educated ppl like yourself.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:11 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,921,747 times
The most 'stereotypical' college campus is San Diego State. You're in a big city with a great campus and lots to do.

Santa Cruz would be my second choice. My sister went there. You'll have a blast there but Santa Cruz is a little isolated. It's also cold most of the year.

The 'best' school is UC San Diego. However, it is geared more towards scientists and engineers and has an introverted student body. I went to UCSD for undergrad.

I would honestly choose San Diego State if I were you. You are still getting your actual degree from your UK university. San Diego State isn't the 'best' college out of your list but will give you the best life experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California