Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:34 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,535,982 times

Advertisements

SoCal is definitely a rat race, which is partially why I hated it so much. Life in the north is so much more pleasant, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:47 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
This trend seems to exist more in certain parts of the country.

I'd say places such as LA, SF, NYC and Washington DC are most like you describe. These places tend to have quite a few eager, young and competitive types who are very oriented towards financial success.

It exist everywhere to some degree, but I'd say those four metro areas have a more severe orientation that way.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:55 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
This trend seems to exist more in certain parts of the country.

I'd say places such as LA, SF, NYC and Washington DC are most like you describe. These places tend to have quite a few eager, young and competitive types who are very oriented towards financial success.

It exist everywhere to some degree, but I'd say those four metro areas have a more severe orientation that way.
I have to agree, these places are very expensive to live and fairly competitive. \

While San Diego is also pricey I found it much less of a rat race than the Bay Area although people there struggle as well with costs.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I have to agree, these places are very expensive to live and fairly competitive. \

While San Diego is also pricey I found it much less of a rat race than the Bay Area although people there struggle as well with costs.
I agree with this too. San Diego is quite a bit more leisurely, overall less high strung than most of the Bay Area and certainly less so than LA.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:28 PM

23,558 posts, read 24,064,911 times
I think most big cities are like that, but LA and the Bay Area are definitely "rat race" central.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times
Rats only go where they see opportunity.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
I read this somewhere recently:

"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat" Pretty true.

If you work anywhere for 40+ hours a week (outside of home) I think you participate in the rat race to some degree.

I think what makes everything feel more like a rat race is all the people ,traffic and long commute times.

I think it's mostly commuting that makes me feel like i'm in the rat race. If I lived very close to work I don't think i'd have that rat race feeling.

I do want to get out of driving all the time soon. I don't think it's very healthy in general ,especially combined with a job that requires one to sit at a desk , plus the stress of traffic.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
SoCal is definitely a rat race, which is partially why I hated it so much. Life in the north is so much more pleasant, imo.
There are plenty, I mean plenty of areas in SoCal where you don't have to follow the rat race at all, and meet others who don't either.

While I love northern California too, the areas north of Sacramento (IE your location in Chico), yet more than one county inland from the ocean get a little too conservative for me. Conservative stances on "God, Guns, and Gays" can feel a little stifling. And I say this as a straight guy who goes to church, and has been to a rifle range in the past.

Sacramento, Davis, some Sierra resort towns are great though.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree with this too. San Diego is quite a bit more leisurely, overall less high strung than most of the Bay Area and certainly less so than LA.
LA county has a diverse range of communities, and a lot of the neighborhoods/places that people love about San Diego have their counterparts in LA county.

San Diego is lovely, but its a bit less centrally located to other California regions/natural areas, its economy is a little too dominated by military, engineering which affects guy-to-girl ratio (important for me as a single guy, I like to feel like I'm an in demand scarce commodity which in LA, a down to earth, friendly guy is), and its suburbs are a little conservative (IE: Lakeside, Santee, etc.). You might as well then live in Texas.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:45 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
LA county has a diverse range of communities, and a lot of the neighborhoods/places that people love about San Diego have their counterparts in LA county.

San Diego is lovely, but its a bit less centrally located to other California regions/natural areas, its economy is a little too dominated by military, engineering which affects guy-to-girl ratio (important for me as a single guy, I like to feel like I'm an in demand scarce commodity which in LA, a down to earth, friendly guy is), and its suburbs are a little conservative (IE: Lakeside, Santee, etc.). You might as well then live in Texas.
Sure but you still have to deal with the rest of LA.

You really exaggerate this whole girl-to-guy ratio thing and just seem to be something you've fixated on rather than acutally experiencing it first hand.

LA has suburbs just as conservative as any in San Diego, ever hear of this place called "Orange County" or places like Simi Valley? So not sure what that really matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California