Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 01:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,827,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I can assure you that if these elderly have 1.5M in the bank, they are NOT receiving "meals on wheels."
I can assure you that if these elderly have 1.5M in the bank, they ARE receiving "meals on wheels." (May be one of the reasons they have $1.5M in the bank?)

Quote:
It's pretty simple. If you can't afford the taxes, don't buy the house.
Very true. Too bad it is irrelevant to the context of my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Their money were in the property, not in the bank though, but yes the assets were in the over-million range.
Right, which is why shrewd people ensure their assets are ineligible for gov nursing home consideration. A person can have a very expensive primary residence and essentially little else and qualify for the gov to pay for his nursing home. Meanwhile another person has a lower net worth - but his assets are in mutual funds, iras, stocks, and other investments all countable and making him ineligible for the gov to pay. Those assets have to be spent down in order to qualify for gov nursing home coverage.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:45 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,909,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I can assure you that if these elderly have 1.5M in the bank, they ARE receiving "meals on wheels." (May be one of the reasons they have $1.5M in the bank?)
I have the kind of money you refer to as being a shameless disqualification for living out the rest of my life in some semblance of peace and security. And you know how I came by my net worth? By getting the living shrt kicked out of me for over 60 years as I stuck by my birth family through years of struggle and crisis, served my nation in armed conflict, earned multiple college degrees while raising my own large family plus fosters, gambled on my own business skills in self-employment where I paid employees and taxes through the nose (and other portals), taught and mentored youth in public school systems and youth athletics, volunteered helping homeless, veterans, and the disabled, and more.

Guess what? Your turn.

Oh, and: "Get off my lawn!"

P.S. I don't eat Meals on Wheels.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:08 PM

231 posts, read 591,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
P.S. I don't eat Meals on Wheels.
Technically when you are in your "camper in disguise", you are in fact, eating your meals on wheels.

Sorry, I could not resist.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
Technically when you are in your "camper in disguise", you are in fact, eating your meals on wheels.

Sorry, I could not resist.
Excellent! Points to you

Old 05-26-2013, 03:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,731,080 times
Quote:
Wouldn't it be cool if Prop 13 went away?

That way the people who have lived in SoCal since 1953 and pay $500 a year in property taxes (and have $1.5M in the bank and senior discounts and government cheese and $80K worth of government funded annual medical "procedures" and handicapped parking and meal on wheels) would pay just as much property tax as their next door neighbors, the young couple working two jobs, who pay $10,000 a year in property taxes.
Thankfully the voters have consistently disagreed with you...

I fully intend to be one of those seasoned citizens one day without the worry of having to move just because someone thinks I need to pay more property tax...

I am one of those that pay $9,000 a year property tax and the elderly disabled couple I bought my home from paid $1200 and they also built the place in 1957... as well as paying for the road, drainage, streetlights, sidewalk and school bond that I get just for moving into the neighborhood.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Thankfully the voters have consistently disagreed with you...

I fully intend to be one of those seasoned citizens one day without the worry of having to move just because someone thinks I need to pay more property tax...

I am one of those that pay $9,000 a year property tax and the elderly disabled couple I bought my home from paid $1200 and they also built the place in 1957... as well as paying for the road, drainage, streetlights, sidewalk and school bond that I get just for moving into the neighborhood.
Things might be changing.

Prop. 13 revision efforts pick up steam - SFGate

California's Budget Ills Could Be Cured With Repeal Of Prop. 13 - Investors.com

Legislators make new push to gut Prop. 13 | CalWatchDog

Old 05-26-2013, 07:00 PM

19,226 posts, read 16,739,698 times
Quote:
Some elderly could be receiving meals on wheels and if they do, they are giving money for the meal. Meals on Wheels charges (depending on the area) about $4 a meal. Very low income individuals may not have to pay at all. Everyone is screened on their ability to pay. This is a fact so look it up before you challenge the statement. And don't forget something. Every person that delivers those meals to the elderly; they are volunteers. They don't get paid to do it. Oh my gosh! Shocking isn't it? More free services to help those lousy old people who are sucking the state dry! I sure hope you won't be having to use those services when you're old and gray. You might, if your children decide to carry the same attitude as yours. Out for themselves and to heck with everyone else. It happens more than you think.

Quote:
Very true. Too bad it is irrelevant to the context of my post.
Not relevant? You were the one who mentioned someone paying $10K a year in property taxes while their neighbors don't. Did you forget? Here's your comment.
Quote:
the young couple working two jobs, who pay $10,000 a year in property taxes.
You know, your life would be a lot happier if you stopped worrying about the people in your neighborhood who may be paying more or less taxes than you. I'm surprised you even have that sort of information. What do you do, cruise the tax collectors website to see what your neighbors are paying?

Changing Prop 13 will hurt a lot of people, not just the elderly. Instead of trying to squeeze more money out of the little homeowner, why not close up some of the loopholes for these large corporations who operate in California?

You don't like paying a higher rate of tax than your neighbor. Well isn't that sad? I don't like paying taxes to schools. My children are grown and don't attend school any longer. Do you have children in school? Why should I have to pay for your child to go to school? Know why? Because the generation before me paid taxes to the schools my children attended. And I pay taxes for the generation after me so their children will have a school to attend.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Some elderly could be receiving meals on wheels and if they do, they are giving money for the meal. Meals on Wheels charges (depending on the area) about $4 a meal. Very low income individuals may not have to pay at all. Everyone is screened on their ability to pay. This is a fact so look it up before you challenge the statement. And don't forget something. Every person that delivers those meals to the elderly; they are volunteers. They don't get paid to do it. Oh my gosh! Shocking isn't it? More free services to help those lousy old people who are sucking the state dry! I sure hope you won't be having to use those services when you're old and gray. You might, if your children decide to carry the same attitude as yours. Out for themselves and to heck with everyone else. It happens more than you think.

Not relevant? You were the one who mentioned someone paying $10K a year in property taxes while their neighbors don't. Did you forget? Here's your comment.

You know, your life would be a lot happier if you stopped worrying about the people in your neighborhood who may be paying more or less taxes than you. I'm surprised you even have that sort of information. What do you do, cruise the tax collectors website to see what your neighbors are paying?

Changing Prop 13 will hurt a lot of people, not just the elderly. Instead of trying to squeeze more money out of the little homeowner, why not close up some of the loopholes for these large corporations who operate in California?

You don't like paying a higher rate of tax than your neighbor. Well isn't that sad? I don't like paying taxes to schools. My children are grown and don't attend school any longer. Do you have children in school? Why should I have to pay for your child to go to school? Know why? Because the generation before me paid taxes to the schools my children attended. And I pay taxes for the generation after me so their children will have a school to attend.
Whoooops! I believe we are witnessing what's know as a bit of a "dust up". Good on you Mars!

Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,978,876 times
Charles' 'hood of Las Flores is barely 15-years-old (if memory serves), so there aren't any $500 per year prop tax payers amongst the ones paying thousands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California