Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 AM

15 posts, read 82,934 times

Advertisements

I had initially been planning on moving to Northern California but I'm open to anywhere around the state. Still looking for suggestions-Again I'm a 26 year old single female and am looking for an artsy, liberal town that has a large population of people my age. I can afford a studio apartment for about $800.00 a month but can't go any higher than that. I would prefer to live in an area that is in commutable distance from a major city in order to open up more options job-wise (around no more than a 1 hour commute). I would greatly appreciate any recommendations. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 10:03 AM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
I think you have described much the S. Cal. beach communities which is where I grew up - Hermosa & Manhattan Beach. They are for the most part fun, with 'a lot' of young people, artsy, etc... This could also apply to many of the OC & SD beach communities as well.

Most 20 something singles are building there careers and living on shoestring budgets in these *pricey* areas. How do they do it? Well, with the cost of housing/rents *roommates* are very popular.

Finding a studio at/near the beach is a bigger challenge. You will have to go a little bit further inland, but not too far (hopefully), to do that. Although the CA real estate market has softened over the past couple of years I don't think rents were ever reduced. So in my area, the South Bay, I lived in Torrance with my wife and three children. It was only about 10 minutes to the Beach. But there was no way we were going to rent/buy a place 'at' the beach. The median home price was ~ 1.1 million dollars.

I recommend looking for work in San Diego, OC or LA somewhere not too far from the beach. Then check out craigslist and the local papers online for rents. Just make sure and ask about areas before moving to them. For example in LA County you have some of the best (Rancho Palos Verdes) and worst (South Central LA) areas in the nation. You just have to avoid the bad areas.

For N. Cal. I highly recommend Santa Cruz. There are a lot of younger people there. And it is closer to the most beautiful parts of Calif. (eg - Big Sur, Carmel, Yosemite, Tahoe, etc...). Again not cheap, but if you are creative and patient you can find a place.

Just don't discount the roommate option initially. Then as you grow in your career and earn a bit more you can pick and choose more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California