Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:46 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
LA county has a diverse range of communities, and a lot of the neighborhoods/places that people love about San Diego have their counterparts in LA county.
Wasn't speaking for the whole county. I couldn't care less about Palmdale.
Quote:
San Diego is lovely, but its a bit less centrally located to other California regions/natural areas, its economy is a little too dominated by military, engineering which affects guy-to-girl ratio (important for me as a single guy, I like to feel like I'm an in demand scarce commodity which in LA, a down to earth, friendly guy is)
Among my issues with SD. I try to stay neutral when I talk about it but I agree, especially about the economy. Now as far as being a single guy, I find getting a date there easier than here in the Bay Area. I'm often not terribly impressed with the quality but eh, take the good with the bad.
Quote:
its suburbs are a little conservative (IE: Lakeside, Santee, etc.). You might as well then live in Texas.
Don't even get me started. I hate those areas, Seriously I better stop now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

LA has suburbs just as conservative as any in San Diego, ever hear of this place called "Orange County" or places like Simi Valley? So not sure what that really matters.
Actually you don't need to go that far. The San Gabriel Valley is pretty conservative too.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:57 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Actually you don't need to go that far. The San Gabriel Valley is pretty conservative too.
True, while SD overall is more conservative LA is so massive and varied you will definitely find plenty of areas with conservative suburbs there as well.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
True, while SD overall is more conservative LA is so massive and varied you will definitely find plenty of areas with conservative suburbs there as well.
South Orange County can give Colorado Springs and Huntsville a run for their money. Lots of really superstitious (religious) people here.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,958,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
true, it's worse in LA though but the Bay Area does it's part too. Telling someone you live in Richmond is like Bay Area Kryptonite.
Is that Green or Red? I would think Oakland is the Green version. As you recall, Red is the more unpredictable one.

And, to the OP, i believe the hours you work and what you feel is the stress of having too many folks in too small and area. I was just down there last week and the hurry, hurry, rush, rush is amazing. The Freeways seem to be congested all the time. The air is still dirty, although not as bad as it was before the 1980's. And, it is a status observant area. However, no more so than other cities i have visited lately.

The LA area suffers from being over-loved. They meter traffic. It might be a good time to meter people!!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:15 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,799 times
There is that element, yes. But there are millions of people here and they are not all into that. It's easy enough to avoid if you try. Avoiding the traffic, however, is somewhat more difficult.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Is that Green or Red? I would think Oakland is the Green version. As you recall, Red is the more unpredictable one.

And, to the OP, i believe the hours you work and what you feel is the stress of having too many folks in too small and area. I was just down there last week and the hurry, hurry, rush, rush is amazing. The Freeways seem to be congested all the time. The air is still dirty, although not as bad as it was before the 1980's. And, it is a status observant area. However, no more so than other cities i have visited lately.

The LA area suffers from being over-loved. They meter traffic. It might be a good time to meter people!!
Having lived in both, Richmond is less respected. People are afraid or concerned when it comes to Oakland but Richmond is like the stepchild of the inner east bay.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:11 PM

18 posts, read 43,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
It seems like the culture in SoCal revolves around one thing: wealth. Everyone obsesses around being able to one day afford to live on the beach and I feel like the beach in particular has become a sort of symbol for success for Southern Californians that other Americans aren't subconsciously plagued by. Due to the car culture, not only are people obsessed with obtaining nice houses, but cars as well. The entire dating scene is based on status and wealth, and nearly everyone I know works multiple jobs to the bone because of the brutal cost of living. I'm working around 50+ hours a week which is common here.

Is this culture specific to Southern California, large metro areas, or is it like this everywhere?
Ignore others who will ask about Riverside or other spots not near the coast. I understand where you are coming from and I agree wholeheartedly with your take on the greed factor in SoCal, though I care nothing about the dating scene.

Money is ruining the beach areas. Years ago people did not always build on the beach side of a beach-side road and when they build there or built across the street, it did not block others and access. It was less about 'look at me' and more about being near or on the beach.

It is not only in SoCal, the SoCal mindset has moved across the nation. It's time voters voted to stop subsidizing the homes and insurance of mansions or 'cottages' on the shore. Years ago a storm wiped out some homes and it did not break a budget to rebuild a community. Now?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:22 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoaterinSoCal View Post
Ignore others who will ask about Riverside or other spots not near the coast. I understand where you are coming from and I agree wholeheartedly with your take on the greed factor in SoCal, though I care nothing about the dating scene.

Money is ruining the beach areas. Years ago people did not always build on the beach side of a beach-side road and when they build there or built across the street, it did not block others and access. It was less about 'look at me' and more about being near or on the beach.

It is not only in SoCal, the SoCal mindset has moved across the nation. It's time voters voted to stop subsidizing the homes and insurance of mansions or 'cottages' on the shore. Years ago a storm wiped out some homes and it did not break a budget to rebuild a community. Now?
Since when is any of this uniquely SoCal??? Building homes is a nation and worldwide thing. If anything because of the cost of living, those who actually want to be in California these days are probably some of the least materialistic because having beautiful oceanfront property is not realistic for over 99% of the pop. Unlike the lower cost, lower tax states like Texas, Florida, which attract those who really want that stuff more than anything else.

California may have been the epitome of this years ago, but that conspicuous consumption has shifted its ground zero elsewhere where its cheap and few regulations.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:42 PM

18 posts, read 43,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Since when is any of this uniquely SoCal??? Building homes is a nation and worldwide thing. If anything because of the cost of living, those who actually want to be in California these days are probably some of the least materialistic because having beautiful oceanfront property is not realistic for over 99% of the pop. Unlike the lower cost, lower tax states like Texas, Florida, which attract those who really want that stuff more than anything else.

California may have been the epitome of this years ago, but that conspicuous consumption has shifted its ground zero elsewhere where its cheap and few regulations.
Lots of housing things start in California, specifically SoCal.

For most of or history "having beautiful oceanfront property" was easily in the reach of most anyone. But without the building standards and insurance and government help (insurance, roads, and more...) available today people did not build their main residences on the beach. Early America, people built on the hill because something called the tide and storms.

Lower tax states? They still bail out the wealthy few who get to build "beautiful oceanfront property"

I do not want to come off as envious or hostile to people with great wealth. I am not. I've known a few very wealthy people (tens to hundreds millions in assets). No problem here. What I am hostile to is using personal greed in ways that ends up costing enormous sums of money from the rest of society for the benefit of a select few,. I am also hostile to a select few getting to block views and access to the land and sea that is ours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California