Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,689,600 times

Advertisements

8 inches in the past century,

Quote:
The oldest continually operating tidal gauge in the Americas descends into the shores along Crissy Field in San Francisco, tethered beneath a breakwater that doubles as a nest for Elegant Terns. The original instrument and its descendants have recorded the ebb and flow of coastal sea levels since 1854, when the United States Coast Survey installed it to help ships navigate the treacherous Golden Gate.
Over the last century, the gauge has tracked a gradual 8-inch rise in coastal waters. But by 2050, as global warming melts ice caps and swells the seas, the gauge's readings could leap almost 1 1/2 feet, scientists say.

Read more: Preparing the bay for rising sea levels - SFGate

Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
Time to learn how to swim.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Time to learn how to swim.
Naw, The Cephalopods will eat you... Ocean acidity, and warming strongly favors the cephalopod..

Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
So who needs the "Big One" to send San Francisco underwater. Good news! It may end up there anyway.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
The more water, happier I become ... Me and Kevin Costner ...

Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Until that more water in the atmosphere does it's part to rearrange the climate. Farming has already been moving north. Soon America's bread basket will be Canada's.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
8 inches in the past century,
That is a fact...

Future sea level figures are all over the map (All higher but the amount varies quite a bit.)

One always assumes geological time is slow... More and more research is showing that is not always the case, once a tipping point is crossed events can occur quite rapidly. The fact that the piles of organic matter that form as ice melts are composting and accelerating the melt and contributing to greenhouse gasses, seems to support the idea of thresholds or tipping points...

Personally, I would be nervous for even anywhere less than 30 feet above sea level...

More than sea level rise, my concern is no more heavy/salty cold water sinking once the North pole is open water.... That ice is the engine that keeps the world as we know it running...
The great ocean conveyor which has stopped/slowed in the past, created global mass extinction...

Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Until that more water in the atmosphere does it's part to rearrange the climate. Farming has already been moving north. Soon America's bread basket will be Canada's.

Exactly.. warm air holds more moisture, hence bigger storms..
Weird to see it right before your eyes though...
I am literally watching certain tree species become extinct at my latitude.

This is a shocker:
Look at the climate zone changes just from 1990 to 2006... A blip of time on the geological scale!!!!
Hardiness Zone Changes at arborday.org

Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
So who needs the "Big One" to send San Francisco underwater. Good news! It may end up there anyway.
It is likely the super storms will wipe you out first... Notice they seem to track at your latitude...

Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post

Exactly.. warm air holds more moisture, hence bigger storms..
Weird to see it right before your eyes though...
I am literally watching certain tree species become extinct at my latitude.

This is a shocker:
Look at the climate zone changes just from 1990 to 2006... A blip of time on the geological scale!!!!
Hardiness Zone Changes at arborday.org
It is really crazy. You know this when you have been out of an area for a while then move back. Before I moved to San Diego, I knew the weather in the Bay Area in my sleep. Having returned, I can tell things are a little different. Easier to see it when you've been away.

Farmers in the Central Valley have been commenting on how the winters aren't as cold. This wreaks havoc on cherries. Because the trees aren't chilling as long and as low as they should, the blossoms are not blooming properly which causes them to fail at producing fruit.

People seem to think that rising sea levels is something they will see come up and over existing land. Doesn't really work that way. The sea erodes the land away then occupies where it once was. Solona Beach in SD County was once quite extensive. Even at high tide there was a fair amount of sand to cross to get to the water. Today at high tide, the beach is gone and the waves are eroding the cliffs there. With each foot that falls away, that's one more foot the ocean has moved closer to the town center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California