Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:49 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
That is a fact...

Future sea level figures are all over the map (All higher but the amount varies quite a bit.)

One always assumes geological time is slow... More and more research is showing that is not always the case, once a tipping point is crossed events can occur quite rapidly. The fact that the piles of organic matter that form as ice melts are composting and accelerating the melt and contributing to greenhouse gasses, seems to support the idea of thresholds or tipping points...

Personally, I would be nervous for even anywhere less than 30 feet above sea level...

More than sea level rise, my concern is no more heavy/salty cold water sinking once the North pole is open water.... That ice is the engine that keeps the world as we know it running...
The great ocean conveyor which has stopped/slowed in the past, created global mass extinction...
Yep! Ice is the most reflective surface on earth. When it's melts in the polar regions, it exposes an ocean which is dark. This absorbs a lot of heat. Once a point has been passed, it accelerates rapidly like a snowball.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Until that more water in the atmosphere does it's part to rearrange the climate. Farming has already been moving north. Soon America's bread basket will be Canada's.
Ooopa ... now you've gone and done it ... mentioned the threat that has no personality ... once food production centers in the great white north, all our meals will become as bland as the Canadian character ... salads and fruits will taste like unsalted oatmeal. And then Californians will realize the real border threat has always been from the north. Mexico and its people are the best things that ever happened to the once great Golden Bear state. Eh?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:12 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Ooopa ... now you've gone and done it ... mentioned the threat that has no personality ... once food production centers in the great white north, all our meals will become as bland as the Canadian character ... salads and fruits will taste like unsalted oatmeal. And then Californians will realize the real border threat has always been from the north. Mexico and its people are the best things that ever happened to the once great Golden Bear state. Eh?
Yep,
Oregon! To da nort!!

-------------------------------

On the bright side, there may be no food shortages at all... Warm humid CO2 rich air, makes plants grow like the dickens... P

Just like last time.... That is how we got all that sequestered carbon in the first place.... During a warm phase plants grew like mad, died and turned into oil, coal, gas.. Eventually all that extra CO2 in the atmosphere was sequestered in the form of plants, which eventually died and were compressed over time...

This is such a no brainer in my mind...

We dig up sequestered carbon in the form of hydrocarbons, release them back into the atmosphere and we start the cycle over....

By releasing the sequestered carbon from past warm periods, we create another warm period, steamy climate with high sea levels.

Our planet is a closed loop... Put the sequestered carbon in the form of hydrocarbons back into the mix, and we should see increased plant growth... (Plants, are the planets primary way of sequestering carbon..)

Plants living today are part of the active carbon cycle, sequestering carbon while alive, releasing it when exposed to air and rotting.. Round and round it goes... Things like peat bogs sequester that carbon for millennia, slowly cooling the planet...

Sorry.... I find the simple mechanical function of this all fascinating...

Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,845 times
Hey, a relative plus to living in Fresno.

If the ocean will just gently lap up to around Kerman that would be great.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You haven't been here in a while. I forgot what happens to you when Canada is mentioned LOL

Old 01-20-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Yep,
Oregon! To da nort!!

-------------------------------

On the bright side, there may be no food shortages at all... Warm humid CO2 rich air, makes plants grow like the dickens... P
Plants need certain climates though. Seasonal plants do poorly and don't produce fruit or seed when it's too warm.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,845 times
Quote:
It is really crazy. You know this when you have been out of an area for a while then move back. Before I moved to San Diego, I knew the weather in the Bay Area in my sleep. Having returned, I can tell things are a little different. Easier to see it when you've been away.

Farmers in the Central Valley have been commenting on how the winters aren't as cold. This wreaks havoc on cherries. Because the trees aren't chilling as long and as low as they should, the blossoms are not blooming properly which causes them to fail at producing fruit.
True. And we need the cold to ripen the oranges. Oranges don't get enough sugars if it's not cold enough.

Farmers want it cold but not to darned cold.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
its not the height its the force of incoming and its getting stronger by the minute.
beach front property a bad move.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its not the height its the force of incoming and its getting stronger by the minute.
beach front property a bad move.
indeed... small sea level increases, coupled with strong storms and high tide, are what one can worry about..

Old 01-20-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Plants need certain climates though. Seasonal plants do poorly and don't produce fruit or seed when it's too warm.
Moving target... Like I said I am watching tree species become extinct before my eyes... Seeing wild life that has not been here in recorded history.. (Including native history..)
South is moving north..

At least we will have lots of coffee and chocolate...

Senno... indeed.... Models I have seen seem to have the west coast wetter but not warmer at least for the next 50 years or so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California