Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:26 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,108,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not disagreeing with you....But I've found those calculators and statistics from the Dept of Health Education and Welfare a little off. For instance, it says it costs $156,000 to raise a kid through age 18. According to my calculations, I plan on doing it for $973.
Charles, How do you plan to raise a child through the age of 18 for $973.00? Are you missing some zeros by typo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 09:04 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,685,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Charles, How do you plan to raise a child through the age of 18 for $973.00? Are you missing some zeros by typo?
lol Roma....I was going to say the same thing!! My daughter costs that in a month!!!

Charles:
My calculations came from CNN Money calculator....and I realize they are not fool proof....but I've found it to be pretty close to what I have experienced.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:25 AM

272 posts, read 784,894 times
California is one expensive 'life-style' fad after another....
I'll never forget the height of the 'dot-commie' days....the absolute hysteria that pervaded all aspects of life in silicon valley. Money was GOD....and people were TOTALLY intoxicated with it.....The biggest fashion statement was to hang around some cafe' on University Ave. in Palo Alto and talk REAL LOUD on a cell phone about all the money you made on some IPO...this...or dot-com that....or how watching the stock market climb was better than group sex.....
Then the crash....and I just laughed...East coast ivy-league yuppie transplants drifted around with gray ashen faces.....crying....Boo Hoo...What Happened??? How could they do this to ME ME ME?
Same story with real-estate....Oh my GOSH...the money would NEVER END!!! Wow...We'll all be billionaire-environmentalists and how great that will be....then the housing market crashed too...
Now the latest economic fashion is BIO-Tech....[another "clean" industry [not]] Oh goody goody...we all get RICH....
Same story every time...

Old 10-30-2007, 12:52 PM

413 posts, read 1,846,875 times
I dont wanna be rich. i wanna make movies

When I'm not doing that, 9 to 5 is fine. Money isn't everything.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 PM

16 posts, read 21,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Is it still possible or are the "good times" gone forever?
I'm feeling very uncomfortable to find out that there are big problems in moving in the USA, and especially in California ...

All my life I was dreaming about moving to California (in the first place) ...
In all I have/had 3 regions on this "globe" : California (especially the LA area ...), New York and South of France (la Cote d'Azur ...).

I would like so much to live in California !... There is a very good place for me ...
In vain you talk to me about Paris (where I was for a month in 1992) .. or Munich .. or Milano ... etc ... I feel nothing there ... I'm not me. I feel sick !...

But when I see all those "things" concerning visas .. oh my God, how difficult is at least to arrive in the USA ! ...
I can very easily go in France (generally in the European Union) - because I live in Romania and since 1st January 2007 Romania is part of the E.U. ...
But going in USA, my God is so tough ...

When I finished in 1995 my studies at the University (5 years, Maths and Computer Science) I had many offers to go and continue my studies in the USA ... I refused all (because I didn't liked at all my experience in Paris .. my unique experience outside the borders of Romania ...)
Now I stay with all these regrets ... Because now I would like even to go and continue the studies (in France or USA) ... even I'm 42 as age ! ...

So difficult !... So difficult !... So difficult !...

Old 10-25-2011, 04:14 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,703,111 times
Juli, how do you know CA is right for you if you have never been there before? Why do you want to go there? The climate? Something about the lifestyle you saw in the media?

Many of us here in the USA are unable to move there, no matter what our dreams and goals!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:12 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,729,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianms View Post
I'm feeling very uncomfortable to find out that there are big problems in moving in the USA, and especially in California ...

All my life I was dreaming about moving to California (in the first place) ...
In all I have/had 3 regions on this "globe" : California (especially the LA area ...), New York and South of France (la Cote d'Azur ...).

I would like so much to live in California !... There is a very good place for me ...
In vain you talk to me about Paris (where I was for a month in 1992) .. or Munich .. or Milano ... etc ... I feel nothing there ... I'm not me. I feel sick !...

But when I see all those "things" concerning visas .. oh my God, how difficult is at least to arrive in the USA ! ...
I can very easily go in France (generally in the European Union) - because I live in Romania and since 1st January 2007 Romania is part of the E.U. ...
But going in USA, my God is so tough ...

When I finished in 1995 my studies at the University (5 years, Maths and Computer Science) I had many offers to go and continue my studies in the USA ... I refused all (because I didn't liked at all my experience in Paris .. my unique experience outside the borders of Romania ...)
Now I stay with all these regrets ... Because now I would like even to go and continue the studies (in France or USA) ... even I'm 42 as age ! ...

So difficult !... So difficult !... So difficult !...
My manager and his wife are from Romania. They have lived here for a while and he is quite successful. We work in the IT field and have a lot folks from the EU who have moved here to work, live, etc...

Derek

Old 10-27-2011, 06:36 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,394,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Old timers have told me the California Dream was mostly a place to start over, where no one knows you and where you are judge by your accomplishments... not your family ties or what part of town you grew up in.

I know things have changed over the years... but it wasn't all that long ago that it took several days of non-stop train travel just to reach California and the best roads were like the Old Route 66.
So California was the best example of a "meritocracy?"

Old 10-28-2011, 02:16 PM

943 posts, read 1,322,629 times
I have a very nice life in California, professionally, financially, and personally.

I live in the Bay Area, which others in this thread have pointed out is somewhat better off than SoCal in the current situation.

Also, I was lucky enough, or prescient enough, to buy my house in 1997 -- just before the big runup in housing prices.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:06 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,500,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Is it still possible or are the "good times" gone forever?

I'm sure they'll return.....but the big question is when?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California