Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 04:01 AM

430 posts, read 1,395,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
thats a very accurate description. witha buttload of money the dream is alive and well for the average joe its dead in CA.
The dream is at least for now dead in MOST of California for those who are not either very affluent or may become so, or who have bought their home a long time ago. -But not in all of it. In Redding and Chico up north the dream is not dead at all. It is also not dead elsewhere for all people, -but it is definitely at least on "hibernation " for most of us. -Will see if it dies for good. I frankly thing that great depression two may be coming to this country in the not too distant future.

Last edited by bigtallredhead; 10-21-2007 at 04:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 04:14 AM

430 posts, read 1,395,380 times
[quote=eekwine;1780767]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I also think have to do your part ... i.e. make the right career choices. In my previous careers, I used to be in the media and real estate business but, I saw the writing on the wall and switched to nursing instead.

congratulations sheri on choosing a noble career that pays well, i have many friends who have chosen this path & are very happy

the nursing shortage has been legendary in this part of the world for a long time- yet the wages are very good & the education is acheivable

the secret to the california dream is that the community college system delivers a first class education for an affordable price, but yes, like you said, you have to do your part & put in the work
California dose provide some great opportunities. If you are not wealthy and want to buy a home, though, most of the state is NOT a good place to do so. Otherwise, it is still quite possible for most ordinary people to live a decent life here if they make the efort.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:05 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,298,226 times
Are we just talking about the California dream or the American dream?

Because there's also a problem with the American dream.

The reason people are so obsessed with living cheap is because wages haven't been keeping up with inflation for decades now. There's been a fundamental dismantling of the middle class where people are desperately trying to make their limited dollars go further.

So they move to cheap places to try to make that happen. The problem is that the reason those places are so cheap is because people are making even less money in those areas.

They may save some money on the front end, but ultimately lose money on the back end as wages continue to decline. It ends up being a relentlessly downward spiral of declining wages where all you can do is try to live cheaper.

So in this sense, maybe the California dream is dead but ... I'm not convinced that the American dream is alive and well elsewhere either.

Last edited by sheri257; 10-22-2007 at 03:14 AM..

Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,754,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post

So in this sense, maybe the California dream is dead but ... I'm not convinced that the American dream is alive and well elsewhere either.

I would question the American Dream Part. In the Bay Area I meet people from every corner of the world... The American Dream has come true for many.

I previously posted extensively about a family that arrived from Fiji with nothing and made their dream a reality in less then 10 years... it can still happen.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,109,050 times
The California Dream is still there. You just have to make it happen, as always. I know so many rags to riches story in Ca. But all these people wanted it and worked hard to get it. Don't just whine about it, do something about it if you want it.

Last edited by Roma; 10-22-2007 at 10:55 AM..

Old 10-27-2007, 04:09 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,344,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
The California Dream is still there. You just have to make it happen, as always. I know so many rags to riches story in Ca. But all these people wanted it and worked hard to get it. Don't just whine about it, do something about it if you want it.
Exactly my sentiments.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:04 AM

15 posts, read 76,963 times
There is alot of opportunity in California.
If you are willing to work hard, you're chances of success are pretty good.

I've lived in Southern California all 44 years of my life.
I seen some amazing things here.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:43 PM

15 posts, read 76,963 times
There is alot of opportunity in California.
If you are willing to work hard, your chances of success are pretty good.

I've lived in Southern California all 44 years of my life.
I've seen some amazing things here.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 AM

413 posts, read 1,847,041 times
Fact: You have to be willing and ready to sacrifice in order to achieve your dreams. California rent is double what we pay here. We have been planning and saving for a year to move to L.A. It has taken alot of discipline and sacrifice, but what good comes from being lazy? None.
To afford rent we will sell one of our cars, that alone pays for the "double" part of the rent. We have set our goals in stone and so far have stuck to our dream and have not let any California bad-mouthing distract us. The positives outweigh the negatives. Northern Indiana is a nightmare, one long 31 year nightmare. Also, the "American Dream" in my opinion, is non-existant. Why? Because each person has their own idea of what "the dream" is. A wife, kids, big house, cars and taking the kids to little league may be your dream, but it's not mine by a long shot. It takes all kinds to fuel the world and the term "American Dream" is so cliche.
Luck: I believe half of it is also luck. Some very talented people break their backs to get "noticed" but never do. Others may not have worked long at all but were in the right place-right time situation. Chance plays a role too.
It's like playing the lotto, if you never try you will never win.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:39 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,796,059 times
Quote:
The problem is that the reason those places are so cheap is because people are making even less money in those areas.
This is not necessarily true. Find a lower-cost of living place with a strong industry in your field.

That is what we did. Same household income. Less tax. Housing a fraction of the cost. I have not noticed my quality of life change at ALL. Yes, it rains more here, and there are more bugs. My kids couldn't be more thrilled to have rainpuddles, leaf piles, and fireflies.

In six weeks we are going to move into a beautiful neighborhood with gorgeous new homes, and the demographic is of young, middle-class families with kids. The same neighborhood in California would have been an upscale gated community with lots of DINKS and empty-nesters.

For me that is an "American Dream" that was unachievable to me in California - not if I still wanted to have 2-3 kids and be a stay-at-home mom.

Not to knock California. There is much to enjoy about the state and there is much I will miss about it as well. There are also some people who are much more bothered by "weather" and it is worth a high price for them to avoid it. To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California