Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:22 PM

38 posts, read 200,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Why do you think I found city-data?
Same here. Now I'm just saving so I can move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 06:12 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,898 times
Those of us who are actually from California have no idea what this "California Dream" is meant to imply. Tell us, what the hell is it?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 PM

609 posts, read 2,244,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Or sufficient medication.
If you mean "meditation" , you mean well.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:55 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,340,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I came here with nothing in my pockets and found both professional and personal success. The California Dream is alive and well, it may just be a little harder to obtain than it used to be... there is a lot more competition for a slice of that pie than there used to be.
Yup. And the payoff is sensational.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:57 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,340,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel_be View Post
Same here. Now I'm just saving so I can move.
Moving is dirt cheap. Sell all your stuff and hop on a Greyhound ($99) unless you don't want to go very bad...

Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,295,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I came here with nothing in my pockets and found both professional and personal success. The California Dream is alive and well, it may just be a little harder to obtain than it used to be... there is a lot more competition for a slice of that pie than there used to be.
I also think have to do your part ... i.e. make the right career choices. In my previous careers, I used to be in the media and real estate business but, I saw the writing on the wall and switched to nursing instead.

With media and real estate, there just aren't many barriers of entry for the labor pool so the competition is very tough. And, I figured the real estate boom was going to crash eventually big time ... it just couldn't last forever.

Healthcare, on the other hand, was growing, and there are many entry barriers because of the education and licensing requirements so, there's actually a labor shortage and a lot less competition for jobs. And, unlike tech jobs, healthcare jobs typically can't be exported overseas, at least not easily.

HOWEVER ... making better choices is no guarantee that you will do well ... especially in the red "right to work" states where the laws allow employers to do pretty much anything they want.

Nurses in Texas should be doing very well but, instead, they're making pitiful wages compared to California, they have horrendous working conditions, they can be fired anytime without cause and employers there even maintain a database where they can keep wages low and blacklist nurses who don't fall in line with management, preventing them from working anywhere else.

California wages, labor laws, working conditions, etc. are much more favorable for my profession here ... mostly because California has very strong nursing unions while Texas and other states don't.

So for me, at least, that's why the California dream is alive and well. I'm here to stay.

Last edited by sheri257; 10-18-2007 at 07:28 AM..

Old 10-18-2007, 09:38 AM

499 posts, read 2,158,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
Those of us who are actually from California have no idea what this "California Dream" is meant to imply. Tell us, what the hell is it?
Being born and raised here, 5th generation in fact, I too want to know what in hell is a California Dream?

And what do you mean "Good times" being gone?

Old 10-18-2007, 02:48 PM

38 posts, read 200,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Moving is dirt cheap. Sell all your stuff and hop on a Greyhound ($99) unless you don't want to go very bad...
I'm going with my stuff. I didn't buy it at full price to sell it for a buck or two.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:03 AM

87 posts, read 164,303 times
I'm not going to talk about immigrants because I don't want to get in trouble. But i will talk about the horrendously high home prices, COL, and traffic! SoCal is way overcrowded.

The Mexifornia Dream is alive and well.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:57 AM

483 posts, read 2,094,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
Being born and raised here, 5th generation in fact, I too want to know what in hell is a California Dream?

And what do you mean "Good times" being gone?
I hope some of those former generations are still alive, so you can ask them.
The California that I knew quietly disappeared sometime in the early '70's,
and I packed up and moved away soon after that.

I've thought about going back, but I'm afraid my memories of what it was will be ruined by what it now is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California