Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,510,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
How is it a personal attack?
So I can't really relate to your problems about not being able to make enough money here to do those things
How is it not..

Quote:
I stated that I am able to do that which you say you and your friends are unable to (or just your friends), I further stated that I know lots of engineers who can.

However, if you can do these things your friends in Florida do, then what exactly are you whining about?

These are facts - whether your like them or not.
I never said I was unable to .. So, yes.. Clarification of your remark is towards : friends.. Thanks for reading carefully.

Anecdotes are Anecdotes.. Even in my case...

Now, lets look at a home here.. Mountain View specifically .. 3/3 .. Now, lets take a single salaried engineer in the Bay area .. Put em at $105k (the avg. for 1-2 experience.. good school) salary .. financing a traditional mortgage (20% down .. 30 year) :
183 Ada Ave, Mountain View, CA 94043 MLS# 81205978 - Zillow
Down Payment is $149,600
Mortgage w/ estimated taxes/insurance : $2,826/mo+ $425 = $3251

So, lets say engineer making $105k lives here currently in Mountain view :
Gated Community/MtnView Border/GE Apps/2 Pools/Spa/Fitness/Free WiFi (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/2940831320.html - broken link)
Rent $1695 .. - $20,340
Tax Calif : -~$5,800
Maxes 401k : -$16,500
Car Payment monthly : $300x12 = -$3,600
Car Insurance Monthly : $100 = -1,200
Food/having a good time/gas/etc : $700 a month = -$8,400
Federal tax : ~$14,000
Avg. Student loan debt : $1,000 a month for 5 years = $-12,000
= $-81,840... Grand total of $23,160 leftover

$149,600/23,160 = 6.5 years for down payment (That's if you're not an idiot and don't blow your money.. Living young .. Which young people do all the time.. ) .. So yeah, I'd put it out to 8-10 years for my friends ..
.. then you get to pay almost double the money in rent for a mortgage and your 'leftover' gets slashed by another $20,000 .. leaving you with $3k to spare ...

So yes, the avg. engineer .. buying a home on his own isn't going to quite be able to do this and while doing it will be on razor thin 'leftovers' once they do .. I don't even want to get into the scenarios where my friends are paying more like $1,600 a month in student loans .. and since they work 60 hours a week have no social life and no .. no wife prospects to split that down payment with.. Funny thing is.. For the ones w/ prospect wives.. I am hearing #'s in the area of 30-50k of credit card debt.. Still have $82k plus of student loan debt .. and barely saving $15k a year .. So nah, there isn't a big net contribution coming to save the day.

But hey, yeah.. You know some people .. great.
The above are hard #'s .. Facts.. try spilling some of your own instead of claiming someone is whining ... or has 'problems'.
If you don't see the problem w/ the above then I don't know what to say.
Life tends to be good when debt means nothing to you, financial freedom/security, and the like... If i subscribed to this 'thinking', I am sure I wouldn't have a single 'problem'.. Simply because I would ignore all the ones I really have..

Meet the Average family..

Not a single problem I can see .. Life is good. Ignorance is bliss.. and hey, they got a home.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 04-04-2012 at 07:27 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Would love to see the answers to these questions. Of course now either:

1. The thread will be closed

2. My post will be edited or deleted or

3. I'll get accused of some made up crap.

Anyway it would be interesting to see the replies.
*Done..

Old 04-04-2012, 07:21 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,620,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My sis said they got cockroaches 6 inches long
Your sister's husband lied to her about the actual size of an inch then lol...

Old 04-04-2012, 07:23 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,046,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
How is it not..

I never said I was unable to .. So, yes.. Clarification of your remark is towards : friends.. Thanks for reading carefully.

Now, lets look at a home here.. Mountain View specifically .. 3/3 .. Now, lets take a single salaried engineer in the Bay area .. Put em at $105k (the avg. for 1-2 experience.. good school) salary .. financing a traditional mortgage (20% down .. 30 year) :
Down Payment is $149,600

Gated Community/MtnView Border/GE Apps/2 Pools/Spa/Fitness/Free WiFi (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/2940831320.html - broken link)
Rent $1695 .. - $20,340

$149,600/23,160 = 6.5 years for down payment
.. then you get to pay almost double the money in rent for a mortgage and your 'leftover' gets slashed by another $20,000 .. leaving you with $3k to spare ...

So yes, the avg. engineer .. buying a home on his own isn't going to quite be able to do this and while doing it will be on razor thin 'leftovers' once they do .. I don't even want to get into the scenarios where my friends are paying more like $1,600 a month in student loans .. and since they work 60 hours a week have no social life and no .. no wife prospects to split that down payment with..

The above are hard #'s .. Facts.. try spilling some of your own instead of claiming someone is whining ... or has 'problems'.
How was that an insult? I cannot be blamed for how you perceive my statement, perhaps it is time for you to be introspective.

A single engineer? Well, if they want to be single, why are you having them buy a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom home, instead of a condo in downtown S.J for 250,000?

Someone in this thread mentioned skewed statistics - now who was that?.. Awww, crap, I'm sorry, dude - was that also an insult?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 PM

730 posts, read 1,920,123 times
Quote:
If you really want to tabulate it, go ahead - but I take plenty of vacations and own a home... So I can't really relate to your problems about not being able to make enough money here to do those things - even here in the bay area. I just don't see it.
Hi,

I was born and raised in Calif. Orange County, though I have lived in other areas of So Cal as well.

The cost of living is way higher than any other State I have lived in and I have lived in 6 other States. I moved back several times as I missed the weather, beach and "nostalgia".

Three years ago I moved again and will not be coming back, baring some huge change in circumstances, which I can't imagine. Why?

The home I owned in CA before the last move was worth at purchase about $250,000 and I paid about $3,500.00 a year in taxes on a 6000 sq ft lot. This was in a nice area of So Riverside County.

Where I am now I have a house I paid less than $250,000.00 for BUT I am on a 1/2 acre lot and pay $750.00 in prop Taxes.

In CA I paid the maximum income tax and in this State there is NO income Tax, at a State level.

I paid $27.00 per Car in tag fees this year. In CA one car (the oldest) cost more than ALL 5 of my cars here.

I have beautiful mountain, valley, river and lake views everywhere I go and am near one of the nicest "big" cities in the State with excellent hospitals, if needed. Every store I could want is from 1 minute to 30 minutes away.

My home and car insurance is 60% of CA
My electric blll is %60 of CA
My Gas bill is 60% of CA
Gas for my car is about $0.40 cheaper per gallon than in CA.
Food about the same.

Just by moving I gained a "raise" (with no increase in pay) of over $20,000.00 per year.

Now it is true it gets cold here in the winter and actually might snow once or twice (lasts a day or two) and is a bit humid in summer, though not like FL. I do miss the beach, but can drive for about 8 hours through gorgeous scenery to several beaches and in one day max I can be at either the Atlantic or the Gulf. Water temperature is much nicer than the Pacific so going in the water is sooo nice. The State I am in is using a budget surplus to cover rising costs, so NO tax hikes at all. There are illegals here as I saw one last week and maybe one the month before that. You have to look to find them unless you are near the downtown area of the "big" city, then you might see a couple. Great schools, and the local school system has won several awards and grants, so no cost issues or concern about the quality of education and a major State University is in the "big" city. In fact my only major complaint is I miss the beach and the milder weather (I lived near Newport Beach growing up). That is it. In every other way it is sooo superior to CA, that the beach just isn't enough.

Are there some "advantages" to CA? Maybe a few still there in education and employment, but the State tax and regulatory policies are driving business out. Since I own 3 businesses and one has offices in three States (one office in CA) I am quite familiar with CA Government business mis-management. If you are young use every break you can get to get an education and work experience, save so that when the fast pace, high cost and the Government's failings finally get to you, you are equipped to go somewhere else.

You will miss CA, but not all that much.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
How is it not..

Down Payment is $149,600

Rent $1695 .. - $20,340

$149,600/23,160 = 6.5 years for down payment

So yes, the avg. engineer .. buying a home on his own isn't going to quite be able to do this and while doing it will be on razor thin 'leftovers' once they do .. I don't even want to get into the scenarios where my friends are paying more like $1,600 a month in student loans .. and since they work 60 hours a week have no social life and no .. no wife prospects to split that down payment with..

How was that an insult? I cannot be blamed for how you perceive my statement, perhaps it is time for you to be introspective.

A single engineer? Well, if they want to be single, why are you having them buy a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home, instead of a condo in downtown S.J for 250,000?

Someone in this thread mentioned skewed statistics - now who was that?.. Awww, crap, I'm sorry, dude - was that also an insult?

I'm joking, engineers don't choose to be single, it's just the asberger's...

Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:

A single engineer? Well, if they want to be single, why are you having them buy a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom home, instead of a condo in downtown S.J for 250,000?
It is an insult because you directed an insulting comment at me personally (not being able to afford something I can) that was incorrect...
Perhaps its time you lay off the knee jerk comments and make more thought through ones.

An Engineer looking to get a starter home... and yes, that's what my friends have done as they want to be in a safe area in a good school district and want to start out with a home .. that has like a garage and stuff .. Something you can start a family in.. A place where your eventual kids can enjoy their lives safely and get a good education... Would you like a link to an equiv. starter home in Orlando? I'll give you a quick avg.. $125k .. That's about $25k less for the whole house for what only a downpayment is here.
Cash out .. skip 30 years of scraping your face on the ground to pay a mortgage (pay cash).. Pass go. Collect $200.

Condo in downtown sanjose .. Lets talk details because you like to leave those out .. Association fees for that condo (think $600-$700) a month .. Crime rate in Downtown sanjose .. School quality in Downtown San Jose... Nothing.. in downtown sanjose.

We are talking about people in their mid 20s looking to start a family .. The fact that many engineers in the bay find themselves w/o even a g/f because they are scraping their face in the ground at work .. and thus no prospects... is something i parallel to other places where you don't have to ... Further, I don't know many engineers who even consider Down town san jose for living .. There is nothing in it.. the night life is non-existent and the streets littered w/ thugs .. Most of the engineers I know live north of anything having to do w/ Sanjose..

Quote:
Nope sorry dude.. just keeping it real .. Because its obvious those w/ a heart the size of the moon for California can't. When I want to enjoy a downtown, I go out to San Francisco .. Downtown San Jose .. As if that's the jump off spot for people in their youth.. Engineers in condos are renting out in SF for $3k-$4k a month.. Woops @#% .. even less take home money.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 04-04-2012 at 07:49 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,988,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

3. I'll get accused of some made up crap.
Such as... falsely claiming "personal attack?"

Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
It is an insult because you directed an insulting comment at me personally (not being able to afford something I can) that was incorrect...
Perhaps its time you lay off the knee jerk comments and make more thought through ones.

An Engineer looking to get a starter home... and yes, that's what my friends have done as they want to be in a safe area in a good school district and want to start out with a home .. that has like a garage and stuff .. Something you can start a family in.. A place where your eventual kids can enjoy their lives safely and get a good education... Would you like a link to an equiv. starter home in Orlando? I'll give you a quick avg.. $125k .. That's about $25k less for the whole house for what only a downpayment is here.
Cash out .. skip 30 years of scraping your face on the ground to pay a mortgage (pay cash).. Pass go. Collect $200.

Condo in downtown sanjose .. Lets talk details because you like to leave those out .. Association fees for that condo (think $600-$700) a month .. Crime rate in Downtown sanjose .. School quality in Downtown San Jose... Nothing.. in downtown sanjose.

We are talking about people in their mid 20s looking to start a family .. Further, I don't know many engineers who even consider Down town san jose for living .. There is nothing in it.. the night life is non-existent and the streets littered w/ thugs .. Most of the engineers I know live north of anything having to do w/ Sanjose..

Nope sorry dude.. just keeping it real .. Because its obvious those w/ a heart the size of the moon for California can't. When I want to enjoy a downtown, I go out to San Francisco .. Downtown San Jose .. As if that's the jump off spot for people in their youth..
Well good for them, that's quite aspirational.

Also, I'm sorry that you're so concerned about people knowing you're wealthy and super awesome - however, that's on you, you can get your little feelings hurt to your heart's content, doesn't mean I insulted you.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,700,067 times
Quote:
The cost of living is way higher than any other State I have lived in and I have lived in 6 other States.
So, tell us, other than the possible cost of real estate, what is more expensive in CA?
Fresh Vegies? Natural gas? Electricity? Hay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California