Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:05 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,510,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Why? Probably the climate.
The Geography/weather are the only 'true' things that are amazing about this state.. and they are a big sell.. At what price/other pain is the question for most..

Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,046,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
The Geography/weather are the only 'true' things that are amazing about this state.. and they are a big sell.. At what price/other pain is the question for most..
Well, the aggregate tax burden in California is about 7% of income, in Florida it's about 5.3% of income... So I suppose the question for most is if the humidity and hurricanes are worth the extra 1.7% of income.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Well, the aggregate tax burden in California is about 7% of income, in Florida it's about 5.3% of income... So I suppose the question for most is if the humidity and hurricanes are worth the extra 1.7% of income.
The specific tax burden/cost for individuals who make a good deal of income is far different than the aggregate tax burden difference. The aggregate doesn't account for COL differences and is heavily skewed by the low income individuals who :
FL> don't pay many taxes in FL because there aren't many
CA> don't pay much taxes in CA because the tax curve is skewed to ensure they don't...

So, actually digging beyond 'aggregate/summary' #'s.. Maybe even reading a post or two allows you to understand the situation people who make a decent amount of money face.

- Income Tax
- Property Tax
- Sales tax
- Car Registration

Dig down to the meat and make comparisons .. but feel free to keep repeating skewed stats that are in favor of your views.

I don't even want to get into the necessity of high income forced by California's COL/High tax that puts you into even higher federal tax brackets... Reduces exemptions for etc.. The real world tax difference for a hard working individual making a good amnt. of money from several income streams is far different then some baked aggregate figure from a 100 page report that probably gives you 'scenario' tax burdens.

Wonder if a major earthquake destroying a great portion of Calif. is worth the extra tax?
Quick jabs can be given back too... except they add nothing to the debate.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
The specific tax burden/cost for individuals who make a good deal of income is far different than the aggregate tax burden difference. The aggregate doesn't account for COL differences and is heavily skewed by the low income individuals who :
FL> don't pay many taxes in FL because there aren't many
CA> don't pay much taxes in CA because the tax curve is skewed to ensure they don't...

So, actually digging beyond 'aggregate/summary' #'s.. Maybe even reading a post or two allows you to understand the situation people who make a decent amount of money face.

- Income Tax
- Property Tax
- Sales tax
- Car Registration

Dig down to the meat and make comparisons .. but feel free to keep repeating skewed stats that are in favor of your views.

Wonder if a major earthquake destroying a great portion of Calif. is worth the extra tax?

Quick jabs can be given back too.
If you really want to tabulate it, go ahead - but I take plenty of vacations and own a home... So I can't really relate to your problems about not being able to make enough money here to do those things - even here in the bay area. I just don't see it.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:43 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,915,125 times
Quote:
Very ignorant statement. When I graduated back in in the early 2000 time frame I got job offers all over the country. One was an solid Engineering job in Orlando.. Several others were in the bay area. The difference in pay was $7k-$10k... I'm moving back now and getting a better more rounded job in engineering and will be making north of $100k... around what i am making now.

Sorry but your statements are ignorant,wrong, and unfounded. I encourage you to not do research and believe it though .. Will keep you right here at home.

The hype/allure/ a attracted me out here.. After 5 years, the reality is pretty obvious.. was in fact to a friend who went to school w/ me who was born and raised in orange county and wanted nothing to do w/ California after he graduated.. and warned me not to waste my time coming out here... something about COL/Taxes.

Funny because all of my engineering friends back in FL are all doing quite well.. Have bought nice homes (i dont know a single friend who is my age who has in the bay area or can) and are quite financially stable. Further, they travel (a lot) .. enjoy life just the same.
Now I'm curious ... you have said previously that you are 26 years of age ... yet now you are claiming to have graduated in "the early 2000 time frame" (with a Masters degree, you've written previously) ... plus now you say you've been in California for "five years".

So, did you graduate with a Master's degree when you were 18 or 19 years old? ... and move to California before age 21 -- at a salary of "north of $100K"? -- to have been here five years? Just curious how you pulled all that off.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
If you really want to tabulate it, go ahead - but I take plenty of vacations and own a home... So I can't really relate to your problems about not being able to make enough money here to do those things - even here in the bay area. I just don't see it.
Personal attack.. Try harder. I am in my mid twenties .. pull down 100k+ in salary.. make between 70-150k in trading. Consult and make over 30k from that .. and have a net worth north of 500k. I could afford the bay area and then some .. I don't have a problem and don't recall I stated one. You are more than happy to pay the taxes here which is why I (on my exit - for sh*ts and giggles) and others who depend on you have no problem w/ increasing them.
Brown's balancing act on tax hike: Wage populist fight to soak the rich or carefully court business? - San Jose Mercury News

After they increase it this year, they should increase it again and again.. Because, obviously, you are balling so hard that it wont make a difference.. No problems at all .. Which is why I am all for increasing taxes right as I leave ..

Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,698,756 times
Enquiring minds, etc.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Personal attack.. Try harder. I am in my mid twenties .. pull down 100k+ in salary.. make between 70-150k in trading. Consult and make over 30k from that .. and have a net worth north of 500k. I could afford the bay area and then some .. I don't have a problem and don't recall I stated one. You are more than happy to pay the taxes here which is why I (on my exit - for sh*ts and giggles) and others who depend on you have no problem w/ increasing them.
Brown's balancing act on tax hike: Wage populist fight to soak the rich or carefully court business? - San Jose Mercury News

After they increase it this year, they should increase it again and again.. Because, obviously, you are balling so hard that it wont make a difference.. No problems at all .. Which is why I am all for increasing taxes right as I leave ..
How is it a personal attack? I stated that I am able to do that which you say you and your friends are unable to (or just your friends), I further stated that I know lots of engineers who can.

However, if you can do these things your friends in Florida do, then what exactly are you whining about?

These are facts - whether your like them or not.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Now I'm curious ... you have said previously that you are 26 years of age ... yet now you are claiming to have graduated in "the early 2000 time frame" (with a Masters degree, you've written previously) ... plus now you say you've been in California for "five years".

So, did you graduate with a Master's degree when you were 18 or 19 years old? ... and move to California before age 21 -- at a salary of "north of $100K"? -- to have been here five years? Just curious how you pulled all that off.
Have you on ignore.. but there's no problem w/ responding to this..
I went to college young.. w/ college credits for gen-eds/etc.. Finished my bachelors in 3 years in Electrical & Computer Engineering (took courses over the summer) and finished my masters in 1 Year in Electrical and Computer Engineering... My age is mid 20's.. Not giving specific info beyond that. Beyond written i posted pictures of both degrees.. Not going there again though.. Plus, I am saying I have been in California for 4+ years (the specific amount of time is not needed).

Starting salaries for various offers were 7-10k different than FL .. I didn't come here my first year because it was laughable... after 1 year experience I re-applied.. Salary hit $95k .. Did a stint .. went somewhere else.. Salary is north of $100k by a good margin (inc bonus)..

Any other questions?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,423,981 times
Quote:

Quote:
How is it a personal attack? I stated that I am able to do that which you say you and your friends are unable to (or just your friends), I further stated that I know lots of engineers who can.

However, if you can do these things your friends in Florida do, then what exactly are you whining about?

These are facts - whether your like them or not.
Would love to see the answers to these questions. Of course now either:

1. The thread will be closed

2. My post will be edited or deleted or

3. I'll get accused of some made up crap.

Anyway it would be interesting to see the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California