Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:53 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,306 times

Advertisements

Sent you a direct message lcole07 answering your inquiry .. *cheers

Old 04-04-2012, 01:52 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Unlike Florida, California actually has jobs. There's seriously nothing to do in Florida unless you're retired.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Unlike Florida, California actually has jobs. There's seriously nothing to do in Florida unless you're Retarded
Fixed

Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
its not just education, its everything should be free somebody should pay for it but not me. the reality, 46% of americans work FTE.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The difference in total tax burden in California and Florida is a whopping 1.4%
Nonsense, the tax burden for folks with at least average income, and especially for those who own their home, is significantly higher in California.

For example, a couple living in suburban Orlando, FL who make $125,000 between both workers, and have a home worth about $400K would pay no income tax and a property tax of about $4000 on their home.

In suburban Sacramento, CA that same couple would pay about $5,000 in income tax and $5,500 on their home (factoring in an average Mello Roos in Elk Grove, Folsom, Roseville, Lincoln).

Like California, Florida does not have a sales tax on groceries or prescription drugs.

So as you can see, the difference is quite significant. By the way, the difference is legitimate, I have many relatives in Florida and most have me do their income tax returns, so I can assure you the tax differences are significant.

In addition, if the couple I used as an example above had some additional investment income, say dividends or capital gains, each additional dollar they earn while living in Florida would be taxed at 15%, while living in California that same couple would pay a 24.3% tax rate. So their additional tax rate would be over 60% higher in California.

That figure you quote isn't close to the reality I see in actually computing taxes.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Nonsense, the tax burden for folks with at least average income, and especially for those who own their home, is significantly higher in California.

For example, a couple living in suburban Orlando, FL who make $125,000 between both workers, and have a home worth about $400K would pay no income tax and a property tax of about $4000 on their home.

In suburban Sacramento, CA that same couple would pay about $5,000 in income tax and $5,500 on their home (factoring in an average Mello Roos in Elk Grove, Folsom, Roseville, Lincoln).

Like California, Florida does not have a sales tax on groceries or prescription drugs.

So as you can see, the difference is quite significant. By the way, the difference is legitimate, I have many relatives in Florida and most have me do their income tax returns, so I can assure you the tax differences are significant.

In addition, if the couple I used as an example above had some additional investment income, say dividends or capital gains, each additional dollar they earn while living in Florida would be taxed at 15%, while living in California that same couple would pay a 24.3% tax rate. So their additional tax rate would be over 60% higher in California.

That figure you quote isn't close to the reality I see in actually computing taxes.
I've explained this in great detail many times NewToCA, they know their statements to be bogus yet you'll find them copy and paste it every chance they can get... As far as tax/burden .. I am leaving for this very reason among others.. House near my job here = $800k (older/no yard/small).. House near my job FL (orlando) $250k .. new/big yard/can accommodate my family.. better schools .. property tax here ~$9,000 .. FL .. ~$3,000 .. no income tax .. tax here on EI 125k ~11k .. investment income of 80k .. taxed here ~ $7,200 .. there.. $0. difference is night and day as you state.
And hey, look what's around the corner .. MOAR taxes :
Brown's balancing act on tax hike
http://www.mercurynews.com/californi...populist-fight

Most of the posts replies in this thread are ignorant and nothing more than knee jerk responses that have yet to answer the OPs question.. I have pm'd the poster with a pretty good response though. No need to try to defend FL. I'll let the ignorant stay misinformed.. it's better that way.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 04-04-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 03:37 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I've explained this in great detail many times NewToCA, they know their statements to be bogus yet you'll find them copy and paste it every chance they can get... As far as tax/burden .. I am leaving for this very reason among others.. House near my job here = $800k (older/no yard/small).. House near my job FL (orlando) $250k .. new/big yard/can accommodate my family.. better schools .. property tax here ~$9,000 .. FL .. ~$3,000 .. no income tax .. tax here on EI 125k ~11k .. investment income of 80k .. taxed here ~ $7,200 .. there.. $0. difference is night and day as you state.

Most of the posts are ignorant and bogus and have yet to answer the OPs post.. I have pm'd him a pretty good response though.
I understand that some folks are just in love with California and wouldn't consider living anywhere else, and I completely respect that point of view.

But some of our posters really don't seem to understand that there is a very significant "cost penalty" to living here as compared to some states, such as Florida, Nevada, Alabama or Virginia.

Some states, such as Maryland, New Jersey, Minnesota and Ohio have tax burdens similar to ours, so it is clearly a state to state thing. But some states do have substantially lower tax burdens than California.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I understand that some folks are just in love with California and wouldn't consider living anywhere else, and I completely respect that point of view.

But some of our posters really don't seem to understand that there is a very significant "cost penalty" to living here as compared to some states, such as Florida, Nevada, Alabama or Virginia.

Some states, such as Maryland, New Jersey, Minnesota and Ohio have tax burdens similar to ours, so it is clearly a state to state thing. But some states do have substantially lower tax burdens than California.
They know the cost/tax burden is much less .. and thus, due to their emotional ties to California, they intentionally spread misinformation and post b.s ignorant replies.. I mean, this seems pretty obvious. If it isn't obvious and a person actually believes such foolishness.. Well, they deserve to be misinformed.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:

I find it curious that there are those who prefer their beliefs to facts, now, if you want to say that the taxfoundation.org is in error, by all means, document.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:30 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Florida sounds like the devils paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California