Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,936 times

Advertisements

I live in Oroville which gets a lot of bad press from Chico, and other towns regarding Hillbilly culture. I think people should try to accept everyone as long as they treat you decently, with respect. You don't have to be their best friends. Just give them the respect they deserve as being part of the community---it takes all kinds to make a world. I think Quincy would be a cool place to live. If you are looking for quiet, and peacefulness in your retirement years, Quincy, Portola, Blairsden, and other mountain retreats would be a good place to live. I worked in Chico for a number of years. The town that received a really bad reputation was Cohasset. People would say Red Neck Hippies growing pot culture. I would bet they are a minority and probably very harmless as most people. Categorizing groups of people only causes division and resentment. But after typing this I had second thoughts. I've run into a number of people who would boast that they are Hippy, Redneck, Hillbilly, or whatever showing they are proud of it rather than resent it. Although I have never heard of people boasting, "I'm a Yuppie", and proud of it. Yuppies tend to be toward the top of the economic scale. See, now I'm categorizing groups of people with a derogatory. I guess these derogatory names are the nomenclature of our ongoing class warfare. It's a kind of cold war between the economic strata of our communities. Maybe it's just human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 03:29 AM

528 posts, read 867,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
I feel the higher up into the Sierra, the less hillbilly it gets... but surely lots of them in 1000-3000ft elevation range

I think I reached the point where going to Truckee means "Goin' to a big town today, ma!" Need to get out more...
Does this include Auburn too? How does Auburn/Newcastle/Loomis area compare to some of the other redneck/hillbilly hot spots in the entire state? I'd say pretty close but Colfax/Grass Valley definitely so. Personally though, I wouldn't underestimate the first towns I listed either. There seems to be a localist provincial attitude also.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoSage View Post
I have lived in El Centro/Brawley; San Diego/Lakeside; Napa/Santa Rosa/ Chico and Redding CA.

Redding has bad energy and just one big Hick Town...it cannot even do redneck well...just white trash and more white trash.
Seems like its a hotbed for skinheads out there. Ones that aren't real rednecks per se, but still clearly on the lower end of the spectrum at the same time . I picture it to be on the Grass Valley level only with less hippies so that might even be a worse place to live, or at least a tie.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Rednecks tend to be very stupid.

Hillbillies are generally smarter than rednecks and can easily live without modern day accouterments. You will never see a hillbilly in a jacked up truck, over-powered bass boat. Hillbilly homes tend to be simple (albeit messy). Rednecks furnish their homes with over designed oak furniture, Thomas Kinkade "Art" and brass trimmings - items you will never see in a Hillbilly hovel.

Hillbillies will live off the land as much as possible. Rednecks can be seen at Waffle Houses, Bob Evans.
Rednecks like New Country Music. Hillbillies like old school country music.

Hillbillies usually vote Democrat. Rednecks vote Republican

In between these two there is a lot of grey area overlap, and therein lies the confusion.
I lean more toward Hillbilly, but once in a while, Waffle House is good. I probably wouldn't go to Bob Evans much though. I do not like the jacked up trucks very much either and many people use them to show off imo. I also like old country music a lot more than new.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Those aren't hillbillies. Those are over-aged, moth-eaten hippie throwbacks from the Bay Area '60s.
I coulda been fooled. Grass Valley seems like a trashy place overall with maybe a few richer pockets. Maybe those hippie throwbacks live in those sections.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:21 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Hmmmph. Hillbillies like bluegrass music, not country.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:46 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
That's cuz hillbillies play bluegrass music. But lots of non-billies dig it and play it:

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass

Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
Has anyone mentioned Hemet yet?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:37 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
That's cuz hillbillies play bluegrass music. But lots of non-billies dig it and play it:

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
Oh, that's nice. Wish I could be there.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:51 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Nothing wrong with bluegrass! Just keep most country music away please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California