Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 6,831 times

Advertisements

Well I actually live in Madera Ranchos (although spend most of my time in Fresno).

Madera Ranchos is a nice community (good schools, low crime) and is not bad of a commute (10-15 mins to Riverpark, which is the Northernmost area of Fresno and is a nice shopping/residential area that is very popular).

To commute to Central/Downtown Fresno would roughly be 20-25 minutes. It may, however, be more depending on how far East/West your workplace is; the reason for this is because Northern Fresno and Central Fresno don't have access to a East/West freeway (only Downtown/Southern Fresno area do).

As for communities in Fresno, I would definitely recommend Clovis or Northern Fresno. Clovis is a town bordering East Fresno and has, generally, quick access to the freeways (so the commute to anywhere in Fresno wouldn't be too bad).

Stay away from Southern, Southeastern, and West Fresno; a lot of those areas are high in gang activity and, subsequently, crime.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to contact me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 12:25 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,240,827 times
Can you really choose Fresno when the only good place to live (Clovis) isn't even Fresno? Isn't that like saying the best place to live in San Jose is Santa Clara?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:07 PM

344 posts, read 643,652 times
I choose Bakersfield. Good school district. Great Junior College in BC, Good U Cal system for University level.
2 hours to L A and it's activities. 2 hours or so to Monterery.
Live near B C in affordable nice homes.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:52 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,079,341 times
Work in Fresno, live in Kingsburg. Small, nice little town 20 miles away. I lived in Fresno for years, but was born and raised in Kingsburg. Most people who live there work either in Visalia or Fresno, and Kingsburg is a very decent bedroom community.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:46 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,077,560 times
This might be useful about Fresno.

A college intern from Dallas who spent this summer here wrote her observations about life in the area. Its the view from an outsider who spent a few months here.
http://fresnobeehive.com/2011/07/an_outsiders_ta.html (broken link)

Old 08-13-2011, 08:05 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,723,942 times
The answer to your question will depend more on you, your expenses, type of housing, job skills, ambitions, etc... than Fresno itself. As a recent HS grad (I'm assuming) your whole life is ahead of you. This includes time to begin serious training/education in a particular profession.

Do you plan to:
* Go to college full-time?
* Work full-time?
* What type of work experience do you have? What type of job do you hope to find?
* Live with roomates which is the most affordable option at this age?
* Live like a starving student for the next 4+ years?
* Do you have financial help from others sources (parents, etc...)?
* What are you used to and what are your expectations?
* Most young people these days consider their iPhone/smart phone as impotant as their food bills. What expenses do you have (e.g. car to get to school/work, insurance, iPhone, etc...)?

The primary cost differentiator between Fresno and other places including the rest of the nation is housing. In relation to the rest of the state Fresno is pretty reasonable. Check Craigslist for rooms for rent.

I recommend adding up all your normal expenses you have regardless of the area you live, then factor in housing seperately and you will have your answer. Once you create a basic budget you can use that with any town you move to.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-13-2011 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California