Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:34 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,765,036 times

Advertisements

If you're going to Brookings, you'll be passing right by the Trees of Mystery , just south of Crescent City in the town of Klamath. It may be a tourist trap but it's the best tourist trap in existence. You can take a tram ride up the hill and at the top you can see miles out and depending on time of year you can see whales. There are trails and picnic areas and an Indian museum in the gift shop. Then continue PAST Crescent City , a nothing town, to Smith River which is right on the Oregon border. Good place to stay is the Ship Ashore, funky but clean and right on the water. At night it's magical and their restaurant's pretty good. Much cheaper than Brookings lodgings. Have a great trip.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 PM

3,901 posts, read 4,554,228 times
Default Wow!!!

You guys, the pictures are amazing!!!

Anyway, we found a B&B in Brookings not too expensive, but looks romatic and has views of the ocean!
This is a 10 year anniversary trip BTW

Old 06-03-2011, 10:21 PM

Default Hey Bulldogdad!

"Sonoma County coastline just south of Bodega Bay"

Where exactly is this? Is it in a state park? Wow!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,636,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
"Sonoma County coastline just south of Bodega Bay"

Where exactly is this? Is it in a state park? Wow!
Wow,
You can chew gum and walk at the same time. Damn.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Wow,
You can chew gum and walk at the same time. Damn.
Huh?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Huh?
OOOOh, it's because I asked where it was when he just said "south of Bodega Bay"?
I should have been more specific asking the specifics...
Is there a certain offramp to get to that spot? Do we need to hike a ways to get there, or can we see it from the car?
I just don't really know what to expect... but that picture sure makes me want to go there!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:56 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,745,809 times
Quote:
OOOOh, it's because I asked where it was when he just said "south of Bodega Bay"?
I should have been more specific asking the specifics...
Is there a certain offramp to get to that spot? Do we need to hike a ways to get there, or can we see it from the car?
I just don't really know what to expect... but that picture sure makes me want to go there!

Google maps

Old 06-05-2011, 03:24 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,562,496 times
Quote:
HWY1 does not have offramps.

What to expect? Well, tip #1:leave your shorts and sandles at home. Think cool/cold foggy. IIRC, October and Early May are the warmest times of the year on the North Coast.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
HWY1 does not have offramps.

What to expect? Well, tip #1:leave your shorts and sandles at home. Think cool/cold foggy. IIRC, October and Early May are the warmest times of the year on the North Coast.
So, I imagine there would be turn offs then on the side of the road, and scenic view spots for picture taking?

And yeah, we'll be prepared to do the layering... we'll be doing the shorts and sandles (and air conditioning) while visiting my brother in Redding!

BTW, I read somewhere about the roads being very treacherous especially from Bodega Bay to Point Reyes station...
I'm thinking similar to Big Sur?
We actually used to live in Crestline, Ca. (near Arrowhead) Goind up and down the mountain in fog so thick ya had to sometimes open the door to see where the line in the road was... that was fun!

Anyway, thank you everyone for your suggestions so far... it's helped a lot!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,035,871 times
Quote:
Hi there!

I've been to Mendocino before, and I'm planning a trip with hubby for a coastal trip between the bay area and the Oregon boarder and was wondering what your favorite coastal towns are and why?
Like Bodega Bay, Eureka etc?

Thanks!!
Trinidad is very nice. It reminds me of a miniature Cannon Beach of Oregon, with less shops and restaurants.

Brookings is my favorite of all, up in Oregon. I like Arcata to some degree, but it's not close to what I do most, which is hike redwoods. Eureka is a good place for supplies, but there seem to be more transients out at night there than in downtown Portland. I like Eureka by day, and not by night.

Prairie Creek redwoods has quite a few hiking trails if you stop by there. The Ravenwood motel in Klamath is pretty nice for a bland community. I like the Hiouchi Motel in Hiouchi for pure affordability and cleanliness. And Curly Redwood Lodge in Crescent City for big room and a good price. In Grants Pass, the Redwood Motel is awesome if you happen to be up in that small city.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California