Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times

Advertisements

I've never been to that part of the state, but it looks beautiful from all of the photos I've seen. I want to go in mid-August, because it seems that everything worth seeing is only open seasonally (i.e. summer). After doing oodles of research online, I'm feeling very overwhelmed. I could spend a month in this part of the state and never even scratch the surface!

Let me try to make this a little easier; here is what I'd like to see (time and distance permitting, of course) -

1. Redwoods (where is the best place to see them, since there are so many choices?)
2. Glass Beach at Fort Bragg
3. Skunk Train at Fort Bragg (has anyone done this, and if so, is it worth the price?)
4. Shelter Cove (although this is more of a wish, since the hotels are SO expensive there!)
5. Moderate hikes with lots of shade (probably through the Redwoods, yes? )
6. Nice hotel, B&B, or cabin, but not too pricey (some of the Eureka hotel reviews scared me! )
7. Interesting towns (Ferndale? I love Victorian architecture.)
8. Klamath River tour (maybe)

I'm driving straight up from L.A., and could probably continue past San Francisco for a couple of hours, which is why I was thinking that I could stay in Fort Bragg or Mendocino one night, and then continue on.

I'm thinking of spending five days and four nights on this trip, so obviously it's going to be a whirlwind unless I really focus on a few key places. Any input would be greatly appreciated! And if anyone would like to mention which areas to avoid, I'd appreciate that advice as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM

536 posts, read 573,899 times
Well, for 5 days and 4 nights, I'd jet up the 5 to SF, then spend a day there and in Marin, then take the 1 north. And just see whatever appeals to you on the 1, if the research feels overwhelming. It's been a long time since I've been up the 1 past SF, but it's a fun trip. The Klamath Falls are beautiful as I recall.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
Vancouver is a great town.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Hit "Avenue of the Giants"

Avenue of the Giants :: Northern California :: US HWY 101

Been many times in the last 30 years. find something new in and around the area everytime I go.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:37 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
If you get up in the vicinity of the Klamath, the Hupa Tribe has their summer festivities in mid-August. You can tour their old traditional village sites that they maintain as historic sites, with houses made from redwood planks. They're located on the Trinity River in the middle of the redwoods.

Sovereign Day | Hoopa Valley Tribe

Old 04-23-2013, 11:43 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,535,741 times
I don't live on the far north coast (yet! ) but I DO have some experience up there so maybe I can help you out.

1. Redwoods: Your best bet is probably Avenue of the Giants, which is about 6 miles and runs parallel to the 101 south of Rio Dell. Another great redwoods destination is Fern Canyon right around Patrick's Point State Park (I don't know exactly where it is though, sorry).

2. Glass Beach: This is in the city limits of Fort Bragg so it's pretty easy to find. If you're traveling north on Main Street (Highway 1), make a left on Elm Street and follow it to the end. If I remember correctly there are signs. It's a really cool place and there are frequently sea lions hanging around the area, plus the ubiquitous glass and lots of tide pools. In late summer (Septemberish) the blackberries are ready to eat as well and those are always super yummy.

3. Skunk Train: I've never done this, but I've heard it's spectacular and well worth the price. I really want to do it some day but our trips to the coast are usually short and the Skunk Train is a full day thing. From Fort Bragg you'll board the train sometime in the morning, and the route takes you through the forest all the way to Willits, then back to Fort Bragg. Apparently there are deals tailored exclusively for adults (lobster, crab, wine, and no kids!) so even though I've never done it I feel pretty safe in recommending it.

4. Shelter Cove: I know nothing of this place, sorry.

5. Moderate hikes with lots of shade: Again, Avenue of the Giants and Fern Canyon are excellent places for this. Avenue of the Giants is much warmer than Fern Canyon but Fern Canyon feels a lot more fresh and green since it's right on top of the coast. You can't really go wrong at either place though!

6. Nice hotel, B&B, or cabin: In Fort Bragg, I would recommend Howard Creek Ranch. It's actually in Westport some 15 - 20 minutes north of Fort Bragg but it's a WONDERFUL place and I can't even begin to sing all of its praises. HIGHLY recommended. As for Humboldt County I'm not too sure, because we've only ever gone camping up there. Maybe a local (eureka1?) can give you some insight.

7. Interesting towns: Mendocino is gorgeous and right on a cliff and Ferndale has awesome architecture, but the rest seem like just normal towns to me. Eureka looks a bit drab along the corridor of the 101 but apparently there are some really nice areas of the city worth looking at. I haven't done much exploring in the towns around there so I can't really comment further.

8. Klamath River tour: I'm not sure how this one would work; what sort of tour are you thinking about? Kayaking sounds fun but keep in mind that the rivers are fed predominantly by snow melt so the water will be chilly. If you're far enough inland it'll feel refreshing but once you get closer to the coast it'll start feeling really cold.

As for the trip up, you have several options. Have you been to San Francisco before? It might be worth your time to spend some time exploring the city before moving on; it's a cool place both figuratively and literally and there's plenty to do. If you want to skip San Francisco then I'd recommend taking the 5 all the way to the 20 and then heading out to Fort Bragg via that road. You'll miss a lot of spectacular coast line along the 1 if you take the 5 to the 20, but if you take the 1 north of Fort Bragg past Wesport up to the 101 you'll see some awesome coastal views as well, so that's your call.

The 1 turns inland north of Rockport and spits you out on the 101 at Leggett, so from there you can make your way up to Humboldt County. If you leave Fort Bragg (or Westport, if you stayed at Howard Creek Ranch like I suggested) early enough you'll be able to hit the Avenue of the Giants and Ferndale in the same day.

Anyway, I think I'll stop now because I'm starting to get really jealous of your trip. I hope you have an awesome time and enjoy the majesty that is California's north coast!

Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 PM

Thanks, everyone who responded! I really appreciate it. I'll definitely keep these suggestions in mind as I go beyond planning to actually booking hotels, etc.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
Well, for 5 days and 4 nights, I'd jet up the 5 to SF, then spend a day there and in Marin, then take the 1 north. And just see whatever appeals to you on the 1, if the research feels overwhelming. It's been a long time since I've been up the 1 past SF, but it's a fun trip. The Klamath Falls are beautiful as I recall.
"The 5" "The 1"

Gads you SoCal people have no clue what is past 1000 Oaks Or Santa Barbara. First of all Highway 5. Yes, note Highway Five runs about 100 miles East of the Bay Area. Clue one. And what goes to San Francisco and Marin is Highway 101. The one?? The one what? The one I love? The only one I care about???.

I digress.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:01 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,062 times
North of SF take 101, but be sure to take 128 through the Anderson valley to the Mendocino coast. The drive through the redwoods along the Navarro river is a great transition from the parched inland to the green coast. Once on the Mendocino coast it is park after park, basically every where a river comes in. IMO stop at all of them and hike around...

Redwood hikes, I personally like Montgomery woods, a bit out of the way but worth it in my opinion, and a drive through Comptche is always enjoyable.

Glass beach, Yep that's fun, lots of small glass, but they ask you do not take it home with you... You will find nice glass at other more scenic beaches too...

Mackerricher state beach, has a nice boardwalk/paved trail out to the headlands, also can be decent tidepooling at low tide...

Plenty of moderate/easy hiking opportunities on the Mendo coast.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:53 AM

It's funny, but as much as I say "the 5" or "the 101", or even "the 14", I always say "395" with no "the" anywhere near it! I can't make sense of it. Maybe it's just how people around me also talk, and I learned it from them? No idea.

My daughter graduated from UC Berkeley, so I'm well aware of how far away I-5 is from the Bay Area.

Oh, and I also say Highway 1. It has never been "the 1" to me. Inconsistent? Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
"The 5" "The 1"

Gads you SoCal people have no clue what is past 1000 Oaks Or Santa Barbara. First of all Highway 5. Yes, note Highway Five runs about 100 miles East of the Bay Area. Clue one. And what goes to San Francisco and Marin is Highway 101. The one?? The one what? The one I love? The only one I care about???.

I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California